Worklog: Massively (Update #65, 29th Nov – Final Pics + Aussie copper pipe fittings!)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Saate, Mar 29, 2012.

1. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Just sent a thumbs-up email to Crane Copper via their web form. This kind of forward-thinking customer support should be encouraged. :)

+1

Can't wait for more progress on this!

2. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Yeah I hear you :) I was balancing my paranoia they might leak against my paranoia I might need them and have to end up paying big $$$ for shipping from the states again. Paranoia can be a rough gig sometimes :p

Cheers :) Yeah will definitely let everyone know how much copper pipe I go through when the build is finished. I can see it being a consistent theme for me through future builds though, the stuff is just so beautiful! We'll have to see how annoyed I get with it doing the loop though, that'll be the real test :p

Thanks for the kind words :) Yeah those guys are pretty inspirational, I'm always envious of how easy Alain makes stuff look. I've picked up a lot of techniques just from reading and rereading his worklogs, and he's been a big help working through ideas with me via email so far. I know I can deliver a great looking build - I just have to stay focused and patiently work toward my vision :)

Crane will definitely be receiving shots of the finished rig :) I have to wonder how bizarre they must think the modding community using copper pipe in computers is. Every time I've mentioned it to non-modders - like when I was searching for the 12mm tube - they get confused then I think they assume I'm building some steampunk-esque basement sized monstrosity. Fun :p

Nice one, I'm sure they'll like that :)

3. CaidsTech

CaidsTech Member

Definite Kudos to Crane Copper, just goes to show how being a nice person and giving credit where credit is due can benefit you.

From working in retail I can definitely say that people who were kind and nice to me always got my priority and the best prices I could give them, whereas anyone that was rude or an asshole for no reason got the opposite.

Anyway, congrats on being a nice guy, and cannot wait to see this beast finished! haha :D

4. InTheFade

InTheFade Member

5. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks for the support mate :) It's the same thing with call centres too - if a customer service rep has the ability to do you a favour they'll often limit it to people who are nice. If you're an ass you get nothing and managers will back staff on those calls too.

You rock, I hadn't seen that worklog before! Reading now, agree with your comments on the dullness of the copper. That's why I'll nickel-plate mine I think. It's a shame about the cable management, and like my 800D that optical drive bay drives me crazy!! It has no business being there and hogging all that space!!

...I think I need to go walk off this ODB-Rage :p

6. Dingostolemyghz

Dingostolemyghz Member

copper will polish up to a mirror finish quite easily if you prefer the copper colour.
    and given it will be fairly well protected in your pc it should stay shiny until your hardware is out of date.

7. Moptimus

Moptimus Member

Plus a small clear coat varnish and you keep the copper colour for ever.

8. vltrb-0

vltrb-0 Member

just on a side note regarding the copper pipe, any reason why you couldn't turn the ends down with a lathe? e.g. turn off 0.35mm on the radius

9. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Sorry, I was kinda commenting on the dullness of the copper in the worklog as opposed to copper itself being dull :) The amazing shine it gets is one of the reasons I decided I needed to use it so definitely understand that. I probably should have phrased it differently!

I was actually in Bunnings over the weekend grabbing a few things and I had a look through the different metalguard type products. I was tempted to buy one to coat the 12.7mm stuff I'm testing the loop with so that it stays shiny but at $20-$30 it was too much when I wasnt sure it was even the right product. Any suggestions on best clear coat product and where to get it from? I have sandpaper and brasso to get it up to a shine but not sure what to coat with.

Also had hoped to get acrylic/plexi/aluminium sheets of some variety to test a few designs out but the two people I asked said they dont carry it. That's contrary to what I've read on posts so any ideas?

10. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

UPDATE – 800D Deconstruction

When I first unboxed the 800D case I can distinctly remember thinking to myself that I’d never be capable of really taking it apart. It looked too complicated for me and I was worried that beyond a certain point I wouldn’t be able to put it back together. I watched an awesomely detailed series of Youtube clips, posted by CyberDruid, on taking apart an 800D case entirely. I have to tell you that only further disuaded me from believing I could take mine apart! I even considered going air-cooled at one point, what a mistake that would have been! :p

So after working myself up to the 480mm Radiator mod and cutting the case I began to build confidence. The next thing I wanted to do was remove the motherboard tray to get some measurements and possibly cut it. The motherboard tray is fairly easy to remove – it’s secured by two screws and three pop rivets.

Making a mess outside, getting tools ready:

[​IMG]

My first time drilling a pop-rivet out, much easier than I expected and a lot more fun :) In hindsight I should have seen what was coming next!

[​IMG]

In this next shot you can see where the motherboard plate fastens to the case:

[​IMG]

The motherboard tray removed:

[​IMG]

Much like when I cut the top of the case out to fit the 480mm radiator, seeing the case opened up like this felt really right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wondered if I should drill more rivets out…

[​IMG]

Pop-rivet carnage :)

[​IMG]

Optical drive bay removed! Ha! Ha ha! Muahaha! Decided to remove the optical drive bay and several rivets later it's out! At this stage I had to resist the urge to set it on fire and jump up and down laughing maniacally. I hate it, but I might need it later so I'll save it just in case... :p

[​IMG]

What the case looks like with the ODB removed:

[​IMG]

More pop-rivet carnage!

[​IMG]

Out came the hotswap bay:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last shot for this update, light was fading but I wanted to get one more shot showing the ODB and Hotswap removed - spacious!!

[​IMG]

Starting to think about painting options for the case. I really like the metallic matte red and black paints that Asus use on the motherboard heatsink so need to seek some advice on painting options. Thinking an auto painting place might be my best option but I'm not sure - any ideas?

11. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

better than bubblewrap! :thumbup:

12. Enjoi

Enjoi Member

is it me.. or is there something stimulating about seeing a case being stripped apart....

13. Dingostolemyghz

Dingostolemyghz Member

You could consider using "VHT Wrinkle Plus". It's a textured wrinkle finish paint commonly used on engine rocker covers - comes in red or black. Get it from supercheap, etc.

Its a piece of piss to use, you just build up one thick ass layer and you're done. (but then it takes ages to dry)

here a pic of it on my headphone amp (sorry for the crap iphone pic lol)

Click to view full size!

14. [RMS] ST1NG3R

[RMS] ST1NG3R Member

can you feel the texture? or is it smooth?

15. mmBax

mmBax Member

Can feel the texture, it actually wrinkles up.

I find you get best results with it if you give it a nice warm blast of air when it's drying. One guy actually put his rocker cover in his oven to help it along.

As for the case, I like it's current look more than a matte red, but - it's your build and everything you've done so far looks awesome.

16. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Nice job so far, and good for finding (in a roundabout way) 12mm CU tubing.

I have the same idea for my HP Blackbird, have all the fittings, pipe-bender, and of course, lots of 12.7mm CU tubing :rofl:

Will make a plan though, but I am keeping an eye on this mod - going to look really nice with the wrinkled black and copper-look.

ps: You also had the option of SS tubing - I recalled having done a water-cooled and phase-change combo in a Li-LI PC70 backin 2004 I think it was....will try and find some pics....

Keep it up, and good luck, but I suspect the final result will be a stunner.

17. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

It’s not just you :)

Thanks for the info and the pic :) It’s definitely in the same vein as what I’m after so I’ll have to see if there are other varieties of wrinkle colors. Ideally I want to match the black on the motherboard’s VRM Heatsink – this thing:

[​IMG]

It doesn’t translate into the picture too well but the red and black has shiny bits in it that make for a really nice finish. The inside of the case has to be darker colours so it doesn’t conflict or overpower with the silver piping in the finished build – I like the kind of black on that heatsink because it has an understated strength to it that won’t overpower on first glance. (Yeah I just used ‘understated strength’ in a sentence, shut up! :p)

Hah interesting! So had you realised the 12.7mm stuff wouldn’t work yet or was it all purchased for a future build? Have been reading through your worklog and will definitely have to hit you up for advice soon! I’ve designed a pump-stand and need to get metal sheet and a jigsaw to bring it into reality, although don’t know what my best options are – any suggestions?

Definitely interested in pics if you can dig them up. I did consider SS tubing but had similar issues sourcing it easily enough, Swagelok have it on their website but after signing up and putting in for a quote they told me I needed to buy 300 meters of it minimum! :p

18. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

So wants you remove all the pop rivets, do you pop rivit it back together or are you gonna use screws?

19. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Well the optical drive bay won't be going back in at all, and I'm moving the hotswap bay to underneath the midplate, so the only thing thats going back to its spot is the motherboard tray.

I probably won't have to pop-rivet the motherboard tray because it's also secured by two screws but I'll see how secure it feels and might pop-rivet it back anyway. We'll see! :)

20. csimpson

csimpson Member

This is one of the best documented builds (and most interesting) that I've seen. Kudos.