Worklog: Mr Legohead

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by holto243, Mar 30, 2013.

1. holto243

holto243 Member

Hi everybody!

I've spent a fair amount of time over the years looking at the builds here and even longer doing some tinkering of my own.

I finally got a project that I could 1) take decent pictures of and 2) felt comfortable enough showing the world.

I'd bought a Lego sorting head for storing various things and being a constant reminder of my well-spent youth and thinking of various designs for custom computer cases (may post my next project later). My girlfriend at the time suggested I build a computer in the lego head. Several moves and a break-up later, I decided to finally get it done.

The idea is to keep the build simple. I'm getting more and more annoyed with my tower and all its glowing lights and the designs I'm working on are aimed at making computer fit in with other house items or at least not look like a computer. With that in mind, I wanted to keep the lego head looking like a lego head, keeping as much as possible hidden round the back.

The build uses limited materials:
    a lego sorting head
    MDF
    paint
    glue
    computer parts
    and a dremel

The computer provides 2 things: enjoyable work for me and a small gaming PC for my sister.

So, here's the head in all its glory:

[​IMG]

and separated into its parts:

[​IMG]

The first step was to cut out the base plates for each tier with MDF. All the parts will be built onto these while the plastic tiers remain mostly untouched to maintain stability.

I've started with the base and worked my way up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The cut-out for the base:

[​IMG]

And in it's place:

[​IMG]

So that's the base. Now for tier 1, the motherboard tray.

By itself:

[​IMG]

The cut-out:

[​IMG]

In place (I had to cut it a bit more to fit):

[​IMG]

And the first cuts for the I/O out the back and a few holes for cables (I also sanded out a little in the bottom right of the picture so that the MB could fit):

[​IMG]

The next tier is for the PSU. I'll be cutting more out later for the GPU to stick through.

The plastic with a hole for cables:

[​IMG]

Together:

[​IMG]

And then the first, and only, bit of work on what I've been calling the scalp. I cut the airholes out with a dremel using a template I drew up earlier.

[​IMG]

And that's it for day 1.

Stay tuned for more over the next few days...

2. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Awesome! Subbed for this one for sure!

Komm

3. MercyFlush

MercyFlush Member

This will be epic, subbed fo sho :thumbup:

4. OP
    OP
    holto243

holto243 Member

Cheers guys. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

I've got quite a few more pics to put up today.

Here's the gear that's going in the head:

[​IMG]

A big thank you to pccasegear for being awesome and having the best customer service I've seen from online retailers! They also pack orders like they're eggs (I have heaps of spare bubblewrap now).

The 2-core i3 seems to be pretty fantastic value for money according to Tom's Hardware and Tech Report.
    The 650Ti is pretty much on par with my old 285's but half the size and about 10% of the power draw. It takes up about a quarter of that box.
    The HDD is a Seagate momentus 750gb
    RAM isn't shown but is G-Skill sniper 2x4gb. Good and cheap.
    And of course the slot loading DVD drive (woo slot-loading)

I'll put up the pics in the same order as I did yesterday, starting with the bottom and working my way up.

I cut a fan hole in the base:

[​IMG]

and cut a few airholes in the back (front still looks normal):

[​IMG]

Then I cut the ODD slot:

[​IMG]

Here's the black foam I'm going to put in to hide the drive and protect/guide the disks being inserted:

[​IMG]

And what it will look like:

[​IMG]

Fanhole cut in the MDF:

[​IMG]

And in place:

[​IMG]

The MDF plate will be attached to the plastic by the fan. there aren't really any other ways of doing it without damaging the outside of the head and I want to keep the parts easily removable.

You may have noticed that I cut some of the support for the face part from above the disk slot. This was unfortunately unavoidable in order for the parts to fit but it hasn't effected the stability of the front face.

Here's the rough idea of how the ODD and HDD are going to fit in:

[​IMG]

They do somewhat block the fan but there's enough space for airflow around and between them. The main point of the fan is to provide air movement rather than direct cooling.

Here's a picture with the face and a disk in place:

[​IMG]

And that's it for the bottom tier, now on to the MB tray.

This is mostly just MDF work rather than anything else on the plastic:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In this one you can see I've made a cut in the middle of the MDF. The reason is that I wanted as much space for airflow around the components as possible. Plus I wanted to minimise weight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The upright is going to be the support for the GPU. I also left the end of the IO shield frame off because of space limitations and it will be hidden once in place anyway.

Here's the piece in place:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And with the IO shield in. You can see that the end on the left which didn't have a frame is right up against the plastic:

[​IMG]

And the Tier in place:

[​IMG]

That's it for the day guys. More on it's way.

5. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

aahahaha that is awesome bro! :thumbup:

6. broox

broox Member

Top work :thumbup:

7. remi.

remi. Member

Looking good so far! :thumbup:

8. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

Absolutely fantastic. Love it. :thumbup:

9. OP
    OP
    holto243

holto243 Member

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I stress about imperfections a fair bit so its good to know people like what I'm doing.

Day 3 of the build and its mostly work on the PSU tier and buttons/plugs.

I forgot to take a few photos at sensible times so please forgive me if I'm pointing out work on very small parts of the photo.

Here's the bracket/frame for the PSU. You may have noticed the silverstone is cutely small:

[​IMG]

And from another angle. The PSU will be held in place by the screws as normal but it fits quite snugly:

[​IMG]

As can be seen here:

[​IMG]

and here:

[​IMG]

Here it is in the plastic tier:

[​IMG]

I had to cut more of the plastic lattice out and the MDF after the first photos to make room for the GPU that is going to be sticking through. You can see that here:

[​IMG]

Here's another pic a bit closer. You can see the different layers which gives a good idea of the space and airflow. I also finished up the PCI frame from the MB tier so it now has a well supported plate I can screw the GPU to (bottom of the pic):

[​IMG]

Here's my new power button. It's positioned behind the cd drive so its easy to reach but out of sight from the front:

[​IMG]

And the socket for the power cord. I really like the angle because it makes it look like the head is being plugged into the matrix or something:

[​IMG]

And finally a quick picture from the back. This just shows how little of the outside of the head I've changed:

[​IMG]

This picture also shows that I prioritised keeping cables and plugs low. I didn't want an unsightly mess of USB's and video cables all over the place behind the head. Everything can be easily routed neatly and out of sight.

Well, that's pretty much all the actual building. There's only tidying up rough edges, painting and cabling to go.

Tune back in for the last installment of Mr Legohead (just been informed my sister has dubbed him Legolas) tomorrow.

and thanks again for the feedback guys!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  10. OP
    OP
    holto243

holto243 Member

The final day of pictures! Well, of the construction. The head is up and running but I left it with my sister without taking pictures of it all plugged in. I'll get her to send me some pics soon.

As always, I'll work up from top to bottom.

Here's the first shot with the dvd and HDD installed on the painted base:

[​IMG]

I realised too late that I didn't have pictures of the frames I'd constructed to hold the drives in place. I put some vibration reducing rubber between the wood and the drives too.

The MDF plate is held in place by the fan, a 12mm scythe, that is screwed into the plastic on the underside.

I also soldered the power cable onto the socket. This has to be threaded through each section as it goes on but I've left enough cord for it not to get in the way.

Here's the MB and GPU installed on the in the second tier. All painted up:

[​IMG]

and another angle:

[​IMG]

aaand another:

[​IMG]

Installed into the head:

[​IMG]

and another angle.

[​IMG]

You can see that I trimmed the PCI bracket in the bottom right. I bought a spare from performance-pcs and kept the original undamaged so that I can send it back if necessary.

And man those 'sniper' RAM things get annoying. The sights keep catching cables.

Another point, the yellow paint is FAAAR closer to the plastic yellow in reality.

Here's the PSU tier being put together:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Connecting the power cable. It needed the right angle otherwise it wouldn't fit:

[​IMG]

Into the plastic:

[​IMG]

Cable snaking:

[​IMG]

Aaand down it goes:

[​IMG]

Cables all over!

[​IMG]

aand arranged (I tidied them a little more after this though):

[​IMG]

The underside:

[​IMG]

AND IT'S FINISHED!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TaDAAAAA!

[​IMG]

The whole thing weighs about 5-6kg and can theoretically be carried by the handle but I wouldn't recommend it.

Awesomely portable though so perfect for LAN parties.

and as an added bonus! Here he is with a fetching hat while he pilfers tea:

[​IMG]

11. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

I love it - such a great quality build - simple, elegant AND it was finished in a couple of days.

Good job

Komm

12. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

Superb. :thumbup:

Love the use of MDF too, it's great stuff to work with and much more forgiving than steel.

13. SoulFire-Z

SoulFire-Z Member

Such an awesome build!

It's pretty cool what you can do with those mini-ITX boards too!

Really enjoyed reading this the last few days, I tip my hat to you! :thumbup:

14. MercyFlush

MercyFlush Member

Very nice, great job man :cool:

15. Doughboy

Doughboy Member

Thats some awesome imagination and build skills!

Job well done

16. electro rc

electro rc Member

Very nice work. Now take it to a LAN, I dare ya haha.

After seeing this, I want to try this with a GAS bottle, just to see the look on peoples faces (and how many times I get arrested for being a terrorist haha)

17. kreegor

kreegor Member

This is brilliant! Awesome work mate.

18. Enjoi

Enjoi Member

so much winning.

19. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

great stuff.

Btw, how did you cut the plastic with the dremel without it looking like shit? Every time i cut plastic i can crap everywhere, burred edges etc

20. romanx

romanx Member

I reckon if you got some cooling fans sitting right, you could make the air sucked in spin in a whirlpool motion and come out the top or something. Could be fun and interesting to see how cool the system stayed for shits and giggles.