Worklog: Project - Toxic

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Philbee, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Philbee

Philbee Member

Hello all, Its upgrade time again, what a great opportunity to mod your case!
    I did some searching around for info and I always ended up coming back here, it is here that I shall attempt to display my toil for the world to see. My virgin worklog, enjoy.

*nervous cough

I had taken to a pc with an angle-grinder before, when I built my first pc a few years ago, sometime around AMD 1.4GHz. I painted the case, made my own side window and bolted it on. I also used some cathodes internally and this neat plastic checkerplate on the backside.
    I thought it was pretty cool, sadly the cpu didnt. It spent most of its time with the side off and much tinkering over the years left it to neglect.

I apologize for the photo quality :(

[​IMG]
    Click to view full-sized image!
    Hosted by UGBox Image Store

[​IMG]

Give me a break, this was before modding got so...passionate

During my last round of upgrading I bought an Antec PlusView 1000 not tall like the previous but just as heavy.
    [​IMG]

The last photo of her alive...

[​IMG]

Somewhat tame, a while after that photo was taken I borked my ram.... it was time.

I started looking at hardware a few weeks ago, Deciding to leave my friends at ATI/AMD for some quality time with the C2D/G80 crew. Looking around, I like what I see and my heart is racing with getting this system together... sometime around Feb07...to the toolbox!

While I dream of brain-melting fps I noticed a consistancy in my thoughts, the colours I was thinking of...Intel Blue, Nvidia Green, Black and Moody Purple.

What if...
    [​IMG]

and then something like...
    [​IMG]

Works for me ;)

I plan to use the lights/fans as a compliment not a feature, so I will endevour to hide or diffuse where I can.

UV: http://www.flexiglow.com/images/products/30cmColdCathode/f3.jpg
    Green: http://www.flexiglow.com.au/images/products/15cmColdCathode/f5.jpg

Pulling it apart:
    [​IMG]

I bought a Dremel300 today, gosh its fun. Where have you been all my life?
    Post slicing of the fan grills:
    [​IMG]

Prepping the front grills, I'll be taking a majority of the front off anyway, but the flat surface makes marking out those cuts easier:
    [​IMG]

This is how I would like the fans, centre of the case. I will lose the drive bay and mount with a perspex window.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  2. OP
    OP
    Philbee

Philbee Member

Marking out the tray for cutting:
    [​IMG]

Cutting...
    [​IMG]

More cutting:
    [​IMG]

No more cutting:
    [​IMG]

Lucky; no more disks :eek: Shortage of cutting disks in Perth too
    [​IMG]

Putting the case aside for now waiting further sanding, noisy bloody thing. On the front panel there is a grill with a filter behind:
    [​IMG]

Id like to keep this filter inplace but swap the flywire for mesh as Im curious a) how the green ccl will look hitting it and b) how the uv fan will look through it.
    The two ridges are what holds the filter upright and on the outside of those I'll have the green ccl, these might be a nice guide for fitting brushed perspex.

[​IMG]

I was starting to wish I had less beer at this point:
    [​IMG]

Later that evening things were looking up:
    [​IMG]

Quite a productive day all up, I was really happy with the dremel although I need better cutting disks, actually theres a good range of bits Id like to get.
    Next job on the list is sanding, followed with more sanding.

Thanks for reading :p

Another day, another trip to the hardware store, oh and that Xmas thing :thumbup:

Knowing there was quite a bit of sanding to do I became worried about staining the paving. I'm renting, its a townhouse and theres no lawn anywhere near. I tried a bucket but the dribbles went everywhere requiring a hosedown after each session :Paranoid:

Looking for gifts I spotted what the job needed, doormat included to prevent punctures. Nipples side up didnt last long. The hose is nearby for a wash once done. Im not to sure how to deal with the total residue once done, maybe let evaporation deal with the water and then?

[​IMG]

refreshing!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2006
  3. OP
    OP
    Philbee

Philbee Member

So here I am after a session in the pool ready to prime my first piece, I shake the can, not quite as much in there as I remember, do a test spray on the wall and its fine, line up the section and do a stroke...the can lets out a wet sound and dribbles everywhere :rolleyes: more sanding...
    [​IMG]

This is my budget sponsored spray area, complete with rollerdoor windbreak and crack-whore lamp:
    [​IMG]
    I really need a decent worklight, something in the order of 1200w would be nice.

mobo plate ready for another sand, my thoughts are moving to powdercoating for these fiddly bits.
    [​IMG]

I bought some spray putty for the plastics, after a rough sand I applied the spray, it goes on well and covered alot of orange peel. It looks like it will be two coats on the panel before some primer layers, by then it should be smoothtastic. Ive now decided to cover the lock hole and led holes. More on that later.
    [​IMG]

Spending the day sanding and watching paint dry gave me an idea on how to fill the drive bay area with something that I hope will look great.
    Ill be sanding in my sleep :tongue:

MERRY XMAS!!!
    I hope someone got a new power tool from Santa!

Im stuffed and with the prospect of more sanding ahead I think I might have a quiet night.

A "lazer mod" I used for cutting the perspex with my cheap jigsaw, not seen is the guide (which should be there anyway) placed before the blade on the jigsaw, which I had to cutout with the dremel so I could see where i was going. Thats how cheap the jigsaw is, no really, I cant see a friggin thing. :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

I figured this would either work or a cutting end will fly off and wack me in the nuts, scary but effective. Id much prefer a drill press when using this tool... so it can hit me in the heart, quicker than a slow nut-job death.
    [​IMG]

Fan area jigsawed out and perspex fan holders in place. I didnt want to use two pieces of prespex but thats all I had (edit: turns out I wont be doing this) I also have a situation where I dont have much meeting room for the metal to perspex, I cut the metal as close as possible to reduntant holes and retaining side fitting area, its tight!
    [​IMG]

The beginnings of cable hider, aka empty dvd tray.
    [​IMG]

After a cleanup one day I noticed the overspray is going to be very difficult to control, time to build a booth. It really really needs an exhaust fan, I cant spray too much at a time and have to wait for the dust to settle, which in turn drifts onto the job.

[​IMG]

I really like my little spray table, it now has a prop up stick fitted on top.
    [​IMG]

I started on the lightbox which will fill the drive bay, I dont have plans for internal ROMS's, water cooling or drivebay fan controllers. So lightbox it is :) Although I fear thicker plex maybe needed, we'll see.
    [​IMG]

While waiting for other aspects of the build I decided to mod the drive bay covers for insertion of mesh. 5" complete and guide
    [​IMG]

4. OP
    OP
    Philbee

Philbee Member

Seemed like a good idea at the time
    [​IMG]

Hard work
    [​IMG]

now to smooth it off
    [​IMG]

Using dremel to take off the rough and clear the inside. Followed by hand sanding
    [​IMG]

Onto the 3" covers
    [​IMG]

Combine the uncoping saw and flies = patience tester.
    [​IMG]

Got there in the end so until goods arrive, more sanding, prepping and planning.
    [​IMG]

5. spikes

spikes Member

Looking great there, can't wait till see it done!

6. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

So why did you cut the tray where you cut it?

Sounds like an interesting idea.

7. OP
    OP
    Philbee

Philbee Member

My thinking for the tray cutouts is to have a uv each side of the mobo, one will light the back. The other on the inside door will shine up the panel. There will be a case window on the black side to see all this pretty stuff.

[​IMG]

8. OP
    OP
    Philbee

Philbee Member

Here is a little something Ive been working on, its a test render from 3dmax showing a little more of what I hope to achieve. This particular shot is old and has been improved, but currently its rendering a 2min fly around with about 10 hrs left (halfway) :wired: Im busting to get a shot out there :)

[​IMG]

Made in 3ds max 6, about 36hrs work.

9. slamaa

slamaa Member

dude, youve got some skill with design..... nice work.

10. Shinanigans

Shinanigans Member

Well you're a bloody handy chap aren't ya! :D :thumbup:

I love the booth! I also love the thought of sitting in the pool, with a beer, doing some sanding! :lol:

Can't wait to see some more progress.

/subscribes

11. OP
    OP
    Philbee

Philbee Member

12. Elmf

Elmf Member

Jack of all trades hey..What's the square root x 14325 of pie? eh, i have no idea what i'm talking about

Nw Phil! :D.

*edit: Price of power tools?

13. bAbY_RoG3R

bAbY_RoG3R Member

looking great

keep the updates coming :thumbup:

14. taztassio

taztassio Member

looks good mate, keep it up

15. OP
    OP
    Philbee

Philbee Member

First spin around the room

Greetings, so here we are, the render process is complete and the avi is packaged for presentation. However the amount of time spent in production looking at it from all angles brings the mod to a different light.
    To that end Ive decided to install water cooling, hurrah! This will change a few things about the look, for the better I believe. Being a WC virgin I'll be modelling the system and chatting with the WC forum about feasibility, hopefully what I have in mind will work.

Clicky 45MB

Until then have a look at what I might have made, I think I can visualize well but making a 360 degree model really helped me get a look at the complete package i cant sketch :(

16. OP
    OP
    Philbee

Philbee Member

Well the mind has changed, nothing that will affect what Ive done so far. I think this is a much better look to aim for and the inclusion of water cooling will make it so much more interesting :thumbup:

A dodgy render (15mb) shows a compact liquid system and smoked acrylic. Although the render came out a little dark, and the front lighting was excessive, Im sorry, stop hitting me :tired:

17. C0L0N3L

C0L0N3L Member

i think it looks better than the the other one you did... it looks more original. can you still get the pink light comming out the front grill stuff cause its abit to much green or is that what you ment "the front lighting was excessive"
    anyway keep up the awesome work :thumbup:

Tristan

18. OP
    OP
    Philbee

Philbee Member

Long time between posts :rolleyes:
    Usual factors, time, money, work and heat!
    Ive been busy sanding and waiting for paint to dry before rubbing down, a good 48hrs between jobs sucks the time away.
    Now that I have finished cutting the chassis, I sent the parts off to be powder coated. Cursing that I attempted to paint and now it will cost me in sandblasting. It was just too fiddly for me to apply paint in a consistant manner.
    At the end of the day a tough chassis paint job will make it just a little harder to scratch, especially when you consider, if you know the case, how I plan to hinge the doors. It would wear spraypack off in the first instance of movement.
    Anyway, some photos:

[​IMG]
    Showing my exhaust enhanced spray booth.

[​IMG]
    First layer of black base in the sandingpit/swimming pool. I will be applying a good base of black before I do the green. It will help prevent any tearing when I mask off for the green top coat. Had I just met edges it would tear and probably be messy.

[​IMG]
    Front bezel with first coat of black.

[​IMG]
    Cutting where I will place the Fan controller

[​IMG]
    Cut complete!

[​IMG]
    All bits ready for the powder coaters.

[​IMG]
    Plex I picked up today, smoked plex for the windows and 20mm for the base or feet.
    Perspex from Johnno @ Creative Plastics in Perth if youre looking for a supplier.

I also found a supplier for quality mesh in Perth but need to look into sizes, the lady behind the counter indicated trade volumes; 1200x2400 sheets. Ill look into direct purchases from the manufacturer cut to size as the value cant be passed by for those of us restricted to eastern imports.
    Perth.....sigh.

All the pieces are falling into place, the one big hangup is not having the WC kit around as alot of what I am doing relies on those dimensions and fitting it, shouldnt be too far away :thumbup:
    Thanks for reading

Some playing around with the Fan Controller.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  19. OP
    OP
    Philbee

Philbee Member

It lives!!!

Other projects distracted me for a while but now Im back on track! Spent yesterday getting upto speed on where I was at, did some painting, soldering and generally cleaned the dust off things :)

Fan Controller is now finished.
    [​IMG]

If you ever get the chance to work with dark perspex, DONT DO IT! Such a bitch to keep clean.
    [​IMG]

Lights on, not quite dark enough to see green led glory, and no, Im not happy with the powercoating.
    [​IMG]

Not shown are the 2 x 120mm holes in lid, phew theres a story to that one, involving weak drill presses, large powered drills that dont operate vertically and why a $30 jig-saw can sometimes be the only useful tool there is :)
    [​IMG]

Prepping side for cutting
    [​IMG]

next job, sanding it back :-(
    [​IMG]

Floppy/Rom cover inserts, arnt they cute?
    [​IMG]

UPDATE 300507

Just a couple of things....

Drive bay covers complete.
    [​IMG]

Card and drive holders installed (only now to decide they are to be removed again, the rivets are bugging me)
    [​IMG]

Update:

Both doors cut down with one ready to be cleaned up, jigsaw ftw
    [​IMG]

Bezel door getting ready for the green, non gummy green masking tape used
    [​IMG]

I knew there was a reason I put this off
    [​IMG]

okay, so how will a light green go over black.....
    [​IMG]

.....very slowly. 5 quick coats later and its back to the drying cupboard for a few days before more sanding and recoats. I taught myself good there.
    [​IMG]

FC grill in green, sick puppy shown for effect. Im whimpering right now, typing on a machine that could crash any second.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  20. OP
    OP
    Philbee

Philbee Member

Some time later I have more pix :thumbup:

In the time since my last post Ive sourced most of the hardware and have it running bare in my loungeroom, yesterday some bits arrived and I could light it up all for a photo op!

Some changes, Ill be placing the reservoir on the rear. I didnt intend on one like this, but it caught my eye and will be fantastic. The hoses will slide into a rubber lined cut-out in the chassis so I can still have a pull out water system. How it will hold on the chassis I still havent figured out, I've seen clips that will do the job and hope theyre big enough.
    [​IMG]

Youll have to use your imagination for these photos ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I screwed the top up by not accounting for the covers, but I have an idea involving the fans on top, bondo, carry handles, pretend air intake with mesh taking light from the cube and an all round nice cover up. It remains to be seen :p

[​IMG]

This the location of the pump, just forward and nestling in the fans. using a combination of shaped plex and stand-offs I hope to get it sitting juust right.
    [​IMG]

Ill place two more UV these being 6", one behind the fan controller shining on the board (interesting to see how it turns out colour mixing with the controller) and the other above the mobo. UV dye flowing through the tubes in a colour to be determined.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still got heaps of work to do, its coming together slowly. Ill be sourcing the water cooling next :cool:

The green box thingy will be made by a guy that I know, I dont have the kit for cutting plex very well. Ive got some fluro tube covers which I will cut down to assist with the light diffussion on the inside. It has two 5 LED spreads angled down towards each other. A mirror will be placed on the base of the box and nice white colour to the plex will also work well with the UV.

Cheers!