Worklog: Stacker of Doom! (tm) - Now with Carbon Fiber Vinyl! (Update 20/02/11)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by The_Shadow, Jan 6, 2011.

1. The_Shadow

The_Shadow Member

Welcome all to my worklog of the various changes my Coolermaster Stacker RC-810 will be undergoing over the next few weeks. Generally I would mostly consider modding to be scratch building or taking a dremal to something to add in things your previously didn't have and now want. But thats not quite whats happening here, none the less I still consider this a mod given how much is going to be changing in this thing.

Lets see what we have to work with:

Front of case - the IO panel is pretty much useless except for the on/off button. The audio and mic front panel ports dont work and the USB ports have been bent one way or another from lanning and knocking things and whatever else. Given that you cant buy a new IO panel for these things anymore I'm considering things I can do with this. You can also see the dust that needs cleaning.
    [​IMG]

And a side angle shot:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now believe it or not underneath all that crap is my storage server.

Specs as follows:
    Motherboard: Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe
    CPU: AMD AM2 Socket 6000+ FX - 3GHZ dual core with 2MB cache
    RAM: Kingston 2 x 1GB DDR2 800, 1 x 2GB DDR2 800 - 4GB total.
    GPU: XFX 8800GT
    PSU: Silverstone 600W Modular PSU
    HDD: 1 x 500GB, 1x 1.5TB, 1 x 2TB, 3 x 1TB - 7TB total unformatted.
    Cards: TV tuner card, SB Audigy 2

Now the hardware for this is fairly old, excepting the hard drives that I've bought over the last 2 years, but it works well and doesn't give me any issues, except for the 8800GT. I bought that second hand many years ago and the fan now moves so slowly that there is almost no airflow in the card, so it's idle temperature is now 68-70C. Thankfully I've already bought a replacement XFX 8800GTX XXX edition off the OCAU forum I'm just waiting for it to arrive so I can replace the 8800GT.

I'm also going to be upgrading to an Adaptec 5805 SAS raid card and 8 x 2TB seagates for storage so you will get to see this too when that happens, but we digress!

The first lot of modding/lighting gear:
    [​IMG]

We have:

3 x Yate Loon 120mm x 25mm UV Reactive LED Fan - UV Blue (D12SH-124UB) with UV reactive blue cable sleaving
    [​IMG]

3 x Delta 120 x 25mm High Speed PWM Fan - 113.11 CFM (AFC1212D) with UV reactive blue cable sleaving
    [​IMG]

Clearneon UV Reactive Clear Coat Paint - Blue

[​IMG]

2 x Logisys Quad Blue LED 80mm Fan (LT400BL)

[​IMG]

and last

4 x Rubber Anti-Vibration Screw 4-Pack for Closed Chassis Fans - UV Blue (RS-CC-UVB)

Now I'm only going to be using 2 of the Delta's on this project the other one will either be a spare or be used on an upcoming project and only 1 of the Logisys fans will be used in this case as well.

Here's some shots of the sleaving for the Delta's with are 4pin and the YL's which are either molex or 3pin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So on we go. First thing I decided to do was to change over the fans on the front of the 4in3 modules. I had initially been thinking about either doing the Yate Loons or the Delta's on the front depending on how bring they were, but then I thought screw it, I want my case to glow like a mofo! Unfortunately for me I hadn't researched how the fans were attached at all and after doing some searching I found that some people had simply used zip ties to attach new 120mm fans.

Instead I cam up with a much more elegant solution. I decided to use 3 of my 4 packs for them instead, which turned out alot better than I thought it would. Removing the old 120MM fans wasnt actually that difficult and I managed to get all of the black socket thingy's that kept them off all intact except for the 3rd 4in3 were they all broke.

After removing the fans I found of course a whole bunch of this:

[​IMG]

Which was quite disturbing. After cleaning the modules I proceeded to attach my fans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To be or not to be!
    [​IMG]

So after repeating that process for all 3 4in3's we have something like this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now that they were all in it was time to daisy chain the molex connectors. Due to the fact that my Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme Fan Controller does 30W per channel it would be handling the Delta's on one channel and the Yate Loons on another, the 80mm on another and I would have 3 left over for whatever I wanted, maybe a dimmer switch on my UV cathodes? Who knows at this stage.

The fan controller comes with 2 molex power plugs for 2 of the channels so after chaining the fans molex plugs together the last one went into the fan controller channel. The other benefit of this is as I increase or decrease the power to the fans I can increase and decrease the brightness of the LED's

This is what they look like turned on: 100% power
    [​IMG]

This is at around 50% power:
    [​IMG]

And this is full power with the dust filters on:
    [​IMG]

With that done it was time to spray the Delta's with the UV reactive spray. I had hight hopes for this but as you will see they didnt turn out how I wanted. I wasnt exactly sure how this stuff would react to the circuitboard and other whatnots inside the Delta's so I decided to tape them up before spraying them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With that done I left them to completely dry and then went back inside. It was time to change out the 80MM exhaust fan in the top of the case, the air filter needed cleaning and was INCREDIBLY dusty, I have in fact still not gotten all of the dust out of that thing yet so I'll have to go over it a few more times.

But at least with the new 80mm there would be some air moving out the top as the old 80mm hadn't worked for a while.

[​IMG]

Then the Delta's were sprayed on the other side, left to dry for a bit and then stuck in the case. Currently the fans are set up with the upper fan as exhaust and the lower fan as intake, I'm not sure if I want to keep this setup though or if I want to change to both intake now that I wont have the 80mm fan on the door, you'll get to see why in a bit.

If anyone has any advice on this it would be greatly appreciated. Currently theres the 3 120mm fans on the front as intakes, the 80mm on the top as exhaust one 120mm on the back as exhaust and one as intake.

Here are the Deltas:
    [​IMG]

As you can see the CPU also needs a full clean out and that should happen over the next few days as well.

Having done that I decided to open one of my packs of UV cathodes and see how bright they were and what the Delta's looked like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see the sleaving looks quite good and I'm happy with that, but the Delta's themselves look like they've been covered in dust! Thankfully I have a set of 3 pots of UV reactive paint I got from the UK a bit ago which came in blue, green and orange. So after I pick up some larger brushes than the ones I use on my miniatures I'll paint up the Delta's and take another shot, I might paint the inside of the case a bit as well or highlight certain plastic non conductive areas.

Also turns out my RAM slots are UV reactive, and so is one of my SATA cables!

[​IMG]

The best thing about the fan controller is the fact that I was now able to remove 2 sets of molex power cables from the power supply, which reduced the clutter but a substantial amount. I'm not happy with the way the cables are now and plan to fix them up but I may as well wait till my 5805 gets here and my 8 hard drives that are going in as well as once the 5805 is in I can stop having my optical drive plugged into the SATA port above the top PCI-E slot which should neaten things up too.

[​IMG]

Now to add the next bit of fun! Thats right! A window! I had to get this thing in from the US as no one in Australia had it and there was only 1 business in the US I could find that would actually ship this out to Australia.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The price of the window was actually that bad, around $35-40AUS but I'm fairly sure that the window is second hand given the condition of the acrylic, the shipping was quite hight though. Now that I have the window though I can get new acrylic cut to measure nice and easily, instead of having to cut a window in my original panel with a dremal I don't actually have and no one I can borrow one off, so there we go. Not only that but I can change between a window and no window depending on what I'm doing so that extra flexibility is worth it.

You might have also noticed that the window is black and my case is silver, unfortunately I couldnt get a silver one AT ALL so instead I will be covering the outside of my case including the doors entirely in 3M DI-NOC Carbon Fibre Vinyl which just aught to look smashing.

So here is the case with the Delta's installed lights going and 2 x 30CM Bitspower UV cathodes taped to the roof with gaffa tape so we can see how it looks.

[​IMG]

And heres the front angle look.

[​IMG]

And a shot with the window placed on the case, which turned out to be UV reactive, I dont know if thats normal or not as I've never used the stuff but I'm guessing it is, either way I certainly don't mind it, I also apologize for the poor quality low light shots my camera takes great day shots but not very nice night shots.

[​IMG]

Stay tuned for another inexplicable episode of modding including fun with Adaptec 5805's, raid 5 with 8 drives and carbon fiber vinyl as well as more cable management!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  2. infiltraitor

infiltraitor Member

heh. wish id known you were after a black side window.
    ive got one that i dont use!

when i bought my stacker brand new i got it with both side panels (vented and window)

3. OP
    OP
    The_Shadow

The_Shadow Member

Ah well, was my own fault really, I should have posted a WTB or something on Facebook first.

Also received my XFX 8800GTX XXX card, holy crap this thing is big!

Will put it in the case tonight and take some photo's.

Also if an admin wants to move this to the worklog section that would be most appreciated.

EDIT:

Installed the XFX 8800GTX XXX tonight, seems to be running well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dual slot card woo this thing is like huge compared to the old XFX 8800GT
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And there it is installed, temperatures are much nicer now old temp was 70C at idle, current temp is 49-51C temp - but its 30C ambient in my house at the moment, so I'm pretty happy with that.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  4. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Nice job on the fan sleeving mate. The transparent blue heatshrink is an interesting look, I like it.

Aaargh, the dust!! Get cleaning son! :lol:

Shame about the UV paint... have you seen this thread? Might be worth investigating if the other stuff doesn't do the job either.

Re. your idea to use a fan channel as a dimmer for your cathodes, unfortunately CCFLs (and most other kinds of flouro lamp) are not dimmable... once the voltage to the inverter drops below a certain point, it'll be unable to output the high-voltage AC needed to drive the tubes.

I get what you were trying to do with the in/out configuration (I think :p) but it doubt it would be beneficial, I've tried similar things in the past and it usually ended up hurting my temps, unless I went crazy with bodged-up ducting/air guides etc. I'd swap the Delta's to be both exhaust if I were you.... unless you've compared temps in this particular case and found an improvement, in which case I'll shut up!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  5. OP
    OP
    The_Shadow

The_Shadow Member

Yeah I really need to clean out the case heh, any suggestions on cleaning products besides maybe using isopropyl alcohol? I might have a Google as well see what I can find. I had a look through that thread a while ago and it's fairly interesting, the stuff I have though is a lot more intense though so I'm really looking forward to using it on the fans either tonight or tomorrow :D

I might test the fans in both setups and see which ones give me the best temps, only problem is I'm going to have a to wait a while as the ambient temp in my house is probably going to be at 30+ for the next 24 hours as I have no air con and it's going to be warm in Melbourne for a bit.

Thanks for the comments on the sleaving, I've got plans to get some of that aquamarine stuff from MDPC to do the rest of my sleaving and thanks for letting me use the tesla coil idea, I've got to pick up a hacksaw, some of that tubing and some rubber stoppers before I can get started with that one. I'm going to have another look through your thread to make sure I get the right size stuff.

-Slight Update

Ordered my Adaptec 5805 kit last night, just gotta wait for them to get it in, I should have it hopefully by the 15/01. I'll probably order the hard drives for it next week. Also going to start pricing the DI-NOC vinyl for the outside of the case.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  6. Enjoi

Enjoi Member

hey mate,

going good so far, just a quick suggestion.

Try removing the grill between the hard drives and the fans on those hard drive cages for better air flow, just trace out a circle and cut it with a dremel or something...

adrian. :lol:

7. OP
    OP
    The_Shadow

The_Shadow Member

Thanks for that :)

That's a nice idea actually for the hard drive cages, especially when I add the 8 2tb drives, they will probably be putting out a fair amount of heat. If I can get my hands on a dremel I may just have to look into that, thanks for the suggestion.

-In Other News

A place in the US will do 16sqft of DI-NOC vinyl for $100US which is 1.5m squared for those interested but then I have to wait for shipping as well and I want to try and get this done before the last weekend of Jan. I'm not sure what delivery is on top of that as well. Found a place in Sydney that also sells it but according to their email which replied to me they are closed till the 11th of Jan, so hopefully I should get a price list from them then, might also try to Google Fu up a couple of others for comparison as well.

8. OP
    OP
    The_Shadow

The_Shadow Member

Update

Bought the 8 2TB Seagate 5900RPM drives today, did a few coats of paint on one of the fans last night, needs a few more still but here's some pictures. Going to re-seat the cpu tonight after cleaning it out and putting in new paste.

[​IMG]

Fan coated with UV blue paint, needs several more coats before its ready and need to fix up the smudges with black.
    [​IMG]

Picture of the case in full light just so there's an idea of what it looks like at this stage.
    [​IMG]

9. psynapse

psynapse Member

I have a dremel and a bunch of other modding tools left over from my last project man :thumbup:

10. NavidsonRecord

NavidsonRecord Member

WOW 8800! old school as! Lots of TB!
    so is this just a server PC?

11. OP
    OP
    The_Shadow

The_Shadow Member

Ahh I'll have to remember that in case I go down that path, thanks for letting me know :D

Well its pretty much going to be a file server to data transfer and storage between 3 computers at my house as well as possible media streaming to a Xbox or a PS3 as well as for going to lan parties with.

12. MorgzMods

MorgzMods Member

your gonna lug that thing to a lan party?

i'm young and even i wouldn't wanna do that :p

edit: i just realised your always the awesome guy at lan's that has a crazy amount of pronz on their pc for everybody to take.

Well Played Sir, well played :thumbup:

13. OP
    OP
    The_Shadow

The_Shadow Member

Hah, not quite lol :p

I've been lugging this thing around to lan parties for the last 4-5 years already, though having 12 drives in it is gonna jack up the weight, it wont be so bad seeing as how its already got 6 in it. Or I can just swallow a bag of concrete and harden up :)

A mate of mine had a collection like that which was 400-500GB, didnt mean it was all good stuff but he definitely had a lot of it haha.

Update

Ordered 32 Square Ft of carbon fibre film yesterday, only $200 US for it though I got $10 off by Googling a coupon code. I'm paying extra for the shipping though to make sure I get it before the end of the month, according to their calculations I should have my order around 17/18th of Jan depending on how nice Australian customs is to my package.

14. brayway

brayway Member

32 Square feet?? :wired::eek:

15. OP
    OP
    The_Shadow

The_Shadow Member

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure how much I'm going to need, probably only..half of that? If I only need to use say half of that I can sell the rest to whoever wants some either on OCAU or to my mates or use it for other projects, I'm planning or doing the back of my housemates and girlfriends HTC Desires in the carbon fiber vinyl and possibly my netbook as well so we'll see how it goes.

-----------------------------------------
    In other news:

This is a courtesy email letting you know that your order has now been shipped.

Courier website: Australian Air Express

Please note that tracking information may not be visible on the courier website until after 6pm.

If you have any queries regarding your order let us know and we will be glad to help.

Best regards,
    PCCG Sales Team.
    PH 03 9551 0889
    Melbourne, Australia

So I should be getting my RAID card tomorrow and be able to start the build Wednesday/Thursday night.

16. tacoflavour

tacoflavour (Banned or Deleted)

Thats only 3m2

17. OP
    OP
    The_Shadow

The_Shadow Member

Which hopefully should be enough for my purposes with probably 0.5m square left over.

Recieved my Adaptec 5805 card today, PCCG for the win yo. Default stripe for the card is 256K but I'm probably going to go with 512K considering the smallest thing thats going to be on the RAID is an mp3 most of which arent smaller than 3MB let alone 512K.

Hopefully it wont take too long to build the array, but given it's size I'm going to expect it to take half a day or more. Then I'll have to play with the cache options and all that stuff, should be a good learning experience. Also carbon fiber vinyl should arrive around the 19th of Jan being shipped over by UPS *dances a bit*

18. ShaneHm2

ShaneHm2 Member

Looks good so far.

Let me know how you got with the Adaptec raid card. And was the hard drives you bought the ones on the adaptec approved list ?

19. OP
    OP
    The_Shadow

The_Shadow Member

I believe they are but its kinda hard to tell seeing as how the link for the compatibility page just dead ends and is useless. I've been trawling Google results, the Seagate site and the Adaptec support site and so far they seem to be ok. I just might have to change the ERC settings on the Seagate drives.

If I have issues I'll start using HDAT2 to set it and then maybe set up a batch file to run so that its set if the server reboots / gets turned off to go to a lan etc. Or if I start feeling special I'm going to get one of those USB to TLL adapters and use a telnet session to configure the drives to the ERC settings I want.

I found it amusing that Adaptec include a warning on a piece of paper that you see first when opening the box that states the operating temp is 0-55C so I'm probably going to put this in the top PCI-E slot so that the Delta can blow straight over the top of the card and I'll move the 8800GTX to the lower slot. Should have photo's of everything up later tonight!

20. ShaneHm2

ShaneHm2 Member

Here is the link http://www.adaptec.com/nr/rdonlyres.../0/20103_arcsas_cr_102510_series5_lowport.pdf

And I am going for the ST32000542AS drives which go for $99 and are 5900rpm 32mb cache's.