1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Worklog: The ULTIMATE Sleeper PC

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Zenskas, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Archy

Archy New Member

How many times have you changed the thread name so far?

2. OP
    OP
    Zenskas

Zenskas Member

It was :)
    Although the steel is that damn thick that it could take a while to cut anything bigger than that cable management hole I did.

3. OP
    OP
    Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Lol only twice officially, but minor changes to the thread title along the way. I think Sleeper PC sounds good so will probably leave it at that unless someone gives me a really catchy name for it.

4. OP
    OP
    Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Well I'm not too happy ATM.
    3870x2 came today....
    Seller advertised it as coming with a full cover waterblock (which I could use later) and the original HS/F. He said in a PM that it comes with everything you need to put the original heatsink back on. Well if "everything" means nothing then he would be right.

It came with the big black backplate and the heatsink/fan/shroud but came with no screws whatsoever and no separate GPU backplates as seen on the back of all the GPU's here: http://static.pcinpact.com/images/bd/news/52514.jpg

At least screws would have been nice, I cannot mount it using the screws that came with the pre-installed waterblock as they are totally different screws than the ones needed on the original heatsink.

To top it off the seller has been recently banned for something separate and I cannot contact him. So my amazing value GPU is now worthless in this sleeper PC until I can get the screws to hold the damn heatsink on...and watercooling is not an option as that would cost far too much and be too hard to do.

If anybody has a 3870x2 lying around let me know as I would be willing to trade a full cover waterblock with RAM plates for the back and all mounting screws for an original 3870x2 heatsink/fan that is complete.

Or if anyone just has any of the correct screws lying around that would be great as well.

EDIT: Will be taking pics of the GPU/PSU today as well so stay tuned.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  5. Brett

Brett Member

Personally I would of bought on the condition it was restored to stock if I wasn't going to be watercooling.

6. OP
    OP
    Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Yes I asked him in a PM if EVERYTHING was included to put the air cooler back on and he said everything was there. Maybe he thought the screws holding the waterblock on would hold the air cooler on.
    I did have his contact details, but because of a post stuffup he took far longer than expected to send it off (been about 2 weeks I think) so I deleted his PM's to make room in my inbox.
    I have however found his email address in a PM I printed out and have emailed him. Hopefully I can get the screws :upset:

EDIT: He actually had two 3870x2's for sale, I contacted the winner of the other one. He said he never received it but he manged to get a refund. Seller seems a bit dis-organized.

7. OP
    OP
    Zenskas

Zenskas Member

So I went down to my local Nuts and Bolts Tasmania with the GPU in hand.
    The 8 screws for the large black backplate were found quickly and are probably better than the original ones.
    For each of the two GPU's, I used a plastic washer, then a spring, then a metal washer then the screw.
    Cost me $5 and the guy threw in double the amount of everything I needed as spares so no big drama after all. If the seller does get back to me and sends me the original mounting parts then it will make taking the cooler off a bit easier as getting the spring in between the two washers was a bit hard.

Took the cooler apart, cleaned it of dust (air cooler wasn't very dusty because it had probably been watercooled most of it's life), applied Arctic Cooling MX-4, screwed it all back together and tried it out in my testbench. Works fine, fan doesn't make any weird noises although the mobo started squealing...probably too much power going through the PCI-e x16 slot for the old pentium 4 mobo to handle :lol: (I hope).

Pics coming soon, I will go and take them now.

8. Mr. Blue

Mr. Blue (Banned or Deleted)

Those nuts and bolts shops are ace.

Whenever I need my daily nuts, I just go right down and they serve em to me.

9. OP
    OP
    Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Sorry about the bad lighting, it's very dark here just today in the afternoon atm.

[​IMG]

Full shot of the GPU, nice looking card IMO, very solid thanks to the backplate and full cover cooler.

[​IMG]

Shot of the fan, very clean and tidy.

[​IMG]

Backplate holding it all rigid so the PCB does not bend.

[​IMG]

The screws+washers holding the GPU heatsink onto the GPU core.

[​IMG]

PSU installed in case.

[​IMG]

Rear of the PSU, those little dots cannot be seen in normal light but I will clean it anyway.

[​IMG]

Good black cable end connectors and basic sleeving.

[​IMG]

GPU installed for size testing, fits like a glove. And guess what I did the measurements ever so slightly wrong, that is a 25mm fan installed at the front! That means a little more airflow can come in the front as the slim fans don't push much.

[​IMG]

Closeup of the clearance to the fan, there is about 5mm in between them which is good enough. If the GPU had the power connectors on the rear of the card then it wouldn't fit.

Still waiting on CPU+other fans so will update when the arrive.

10. Intensity

Intensity Member

Nice work there, bit of a tight fit there with the GPU and that fan. :thumbup:

11. Wootwagon

Wootwagon Member

That fan is gonna be giving the gpu some nice cool intake air, you should make up a plastic shroud so the whole fan just feeds the gpu intake, that would be epic :Pirate:

12. OP
    OP
    Zenskas

Zenskas Member

It is tight, but fits OK and that's the main thing.

Yeah wouldn't fit though, and besides the northbridge/CPU needs cool air too :)
    I will probably eventually cut a hole in the bottom of the case the exact size of the GPU fan. Then make a shroud so the GPU fan is sucking nice cool air from underneath the case. Would put some taller rubber feet under the case to make sure it isn't suffocating and an air filter to stop too much dust.

13. OP
    OP
    Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Hmm another thing not going my way. It was the GPU squealing not the mobo.
    Hopefully once windows is installed and I boot into the OS it stops...
    Also the fan at idle speed make a weird rattle, not liking it at all. Will try and put a tiny drop of oil into the fan later but for now it will have to rattle. Damn I hate it when GPU's make noises.

14. Liighthead

Liighthead New Member

Nice shuld have nice airflow.
    I would put 2 x 120mm fans as intake or exaust what ever u reakon.

To push some air in. But I'll proably hve to raise the case a little lol.

Nice work so far carnt wait for more.

15. Intensity

Intensity Member

I bet it was a tight fit,;) its a good thing u got it in. :tongue:

16. OP
    OP
    Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Alrighty, everything is together (kinda), gonna do the cables all properly later, just wanted to install windows first. Install off a USB stick failed the first time, second time was good...hmm. Anyway, all looks good. GPU doesn't make and odd noise after the PC loads an OS so that's good, also the fan stopped rattling after being on for a while. Hasn't rattled since so hopefully it's good.
    Time to load up some prime95 and furmark to ensure everything is stable :D

17. Domokun

Domokun Member

Is it finalised? More pics? :)

18. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

This project is inspiring! Love the sleeper idea too mate. I've been thinking about how am I going to be able to play DNF when it comes out, (see my laptops specs in tag) as I dont have a gaming rig, nor can I afford much. But I already have a case and HDD and DVD drive, so if I can get something for $250 like yours then that'd be awesome! I could probably save even more by not buying extra fans and only getting 4gb ram.

19. OP
    OP
    Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Hey guys sorry for no updates lately. I decided to take it to the LAN with my GTX 260 installed as the 3870x2 was running a tad hot in this small case for my liking. It worked flawlessly all of the LAN, and got a lot of attention especially sitting next to a 21" CRT! A few people loved it and many people were fooled by my windows 98 theme/background/icons and actually though I was running 98!

For now I am using it as my main rig as I am selling my main PC to fund a mATX rig to replace it. I may end up using the parts in this sleeper PC in my new mATX rig until I can afford a mATX 1155 setup then I will put the AM3 stuff back into this case.

I am probably going to sell the 3870x2 as I bought a GTX 460 recently for $80! So really by the time I sell the 3870x2 the sleeper PC will still be around $250 all up not including postage. I will be swapping the GTX 460 out between my main rig and this sleeper build for when I go to LANs etc as that will mean I only need one GPU for two PC's (I don't use both at the same time so makes sense to save me money).

Pics of it's current state with my GTX 260 installed will come soon. I am still waiting on the fans though as the seller had an accident and didn't send them out until sometime last week. Should get them tomorrow I hope. Also Uncle-Fester is not replying to my PM's and I have not received the CPU so if anyone knows him or something then let him know I'm waiting as the rest of the family would like to get their CPU back :lol:

20. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member

To reduce the noise without added cost look into cutting out the mesh at the front of the case (front fan).

Mesh so close to a fan will create air intake noise, also air feedback noise. It's as simple as taking some wire cutters and cutting out between the holes. You wont need to strip the machine either. However if you want to make it look pretty then filing off the sharp remains is good. Careful of metal filing tho. May need to strip the case first. Rubber grommets may help reduce fan vibration too. particularly if it's an older ball bearing fan.

Also it will result in at a solid airflow improvement. if need you can look into throttling the front fan down and reap a greater reward of silence and good airflow!

EDIT: While i think about it..... you can look into some sound proofing for the the chassis. Can be as simple as using the ribbed / spiky foam that comes inside motherboard boxes. Can also be had for free. Given you have a solid steel chassis it wont effect aesthetic. however from memory the top cover slides off so any foam stuck to the inside will need to leave room for the slide release.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011