Worklog: The ULTIMATE Sleeper PC

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Zenskas, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Ghost of Lauda

Ghost of Lauda Member

Are those empty coke bottles there so if you need to piss, you can use them instead of having to go to the toilet?

2. OP
    OP
    Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Yes. I'm that hardcore.
    Also I was bored so started a collection of them. Got like nine by the end of the day :lol:

More pics will come today now, yesterday I left it too late and it got dark :(

3. velo

velo Member

I'll post the pic for him. :thumbup:

Nah not really :p This is mine which is very similar. Cable management is pretty much non-existent at the moment while I wait for my Antec Neo HE to arrive.

Click to view full size!

4. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

Wow, that really is similar. Right down the the heatsink and ram.

I'm currently, looking at a case upgrade, but one of these builds isn't really an option on my main system, as I have a full ATX board. Part of the sleeper novelty is lost with a bigger case.

5. OP
    OP
    Zenskas

Zenskas Member

He pretty much copied me :lol:
    His RAM has blue heatspreaders, mine red.
    Also he's borrowing my old HX-520W until he gets his Neo HE 550W like mine.
    And that TX3 is my old cooler, I have a hyper 212+ now.

6. JuzIE

JuzIE Member

Nothing wrong with that haha..

Nice little pc's though, i might have to make my own sleeper pc now, except with a bigger case lol

7. callum14

callum14 Member

LOL! Time to raid the shed i like this idea

8. [RMS] ST1NG3R

[RMS] ST1NG3R Member

someone should get theirs painted up with red flames :thumbup: would look mad on the little box :lol:

9. OP
    OP
    Zenskas

Zenskas Member

NEW PICZORS! Clicky clicky to enlarge.

Outside :tongue:

Click to view full size!

Rear noctua fan, with a new and improved grill! Did a fairly good job of cutting the old one out I think.

Click to view full size!

Put a noctua in the PSU as well, it's a tiny tiny bit quieter and does not make a small ticking noise. Plus I can control it when I want to.

Click to view full size!

Cable mess! This is as clean as it gets at the top, it's not as bad as it looks in the pic. It only takes up one 5.25" bay, the top bay I could put a DVD drive into if I wanted. Might put a hot-swap HDD bay in to cover the cables up.

Click to view full size!

Oh the neatness. I have put black NZXT sleeved extensions on the GPU, and a black SATA cable. The SATA cable is now completely under the mobo, and only pops out at the bottom which you can hardly see.

Click to view full size!

New CPU cooler, hyper 212+ with an enermax cluster fan. Not really any cooler than the old TX3 but it's better looking and does not ramp up because it's on the fan controller.

Click to view full size!

Turned on with fan lights turned on.

Click to view full size!

Front fan pushes nice air onto the GPU and northbridge area.

Click to view full size!

New fan controller thanks to Velo. It covered by the little front door so you still can't really tell it's a modern system from the front with the door closed.

Click to view full size!

Hole cut for front fan. It lets A LOT more air in :thumbup:
    Not the neatest job, but it looks rougher in the pic because you can see where I drew a line in the wrong spot and also the metal where I sanded it to be smooth.

Click to view full size!

Another of the front fan.

Click to view full size!

Looks great in the dark.

Click to view full size!

It's a beast :D

Click to view full size!

So all up I have replaced the SATA cable with a black one, refined the cable management, sleeved extensions for GPU, new fan controller, new front fan, new CPU cooler/fan, new PSU fan, new GPU since last pics, new CPU (from the borrowed 240 to a 245), and of course the fan cutouts. Pretty darn happy with it ATM :)

10. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

:D My nagging worked.

That really does look great. The Enermax's make all the difference, but I have two suggestions/questions in terms of fans.

Firstly, what was the reason for not having a fan pushing onto the 212+? HDD cage or ram clearance? Because the good thing about the Hyper is that you can slide the fans up a little if they have clearance issues, where I'm assuming the Ripjaws would give you about 3mm of problems. If it's the Sata cables, I'm not sure, but you could try to shave a bit off the back of the Sata plug and get L-shaped power extensions.

In terms of the back fan, although it looks great, it might be worth measuring how much room to play with, because there's quite a bit of clearance either side of that 80mm Noctua. Even 92 mm would be an improvement, as Noctua, Scythe and Arctic Cooling all offer 92mm fans. 120mm means you could use another Enermax Cluster or whatever that is.

Loving the lighting leakage. :D Especially at the front on the bottom, where it looks like underlights - a true sleeper :p It does show off the empty optical bay, though. Are you planning on putting something in there?

11. OP
    OP
    Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Yes your nagging worked :D

There is two good reasons I don't have the fan on the front...firstly the HDD cage sorta slides out on an angle and it only *just* misses the 212+ without a fan installed on the front of it. I actually can put a fan there, and it won't quite hit the HDD cables (both power and SATA are already L-shaped connectors), but that would make it more of a pain to take the HDD cage out. I will think about it later, but if I upgrade to i3/i5 then most of those mobos have the CPU socket closer to the front, rendering the front 212+ fan useless as it wouldn't fit.

I have measured the rear fan space before, and looked at my options. Another 80mm fan will not fit by like 5mm...
    A 120mm fan is too big, as the case is not quite wide enough.
    A 92mm fan will fit fine, but to cut one in won't look very neat as the holes for the 80mm will still be there. I could do it but really the difference would be negligible. At full speed the Noctua pushes a lot of air already which is great. And besides, the system runs really cool with CPU temps never exceeding 40C, northbridge always under around 40C too, and GPU always under 70C. And yes the two 120mm fans are enermax clusters.

The empty drive bay lets nice cool air go to the PSU, and with the fan controller on full brightness the light looks cool too. But I am thinking of putting one of these in it: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=408&products_id=16722
    Let's me use an optical drive and some front USB ports (as I have none) as well as hotswap a 2.5" drive! All without hitting the PSU, and it will even cover up the cables all squashed into the second 5.25" bay behind the fan controller. Hopefully the PSU will still run cool, should do as even while playing games with the Noctua in the PSU at 40% (around 600rpm) there is only slightly warm air coming out of it.

Thanks for your ideas though, always looking for more ;)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  12. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

Not that I'm trying to push you into it, but that's the good thing about the 212+ fan mounts - they can slide off directly, so you could slide it right up to get the drives out. If you can put the fan > controller plug within reach, you could even d/c the fan when needed. Alternatively, the HDD should be able to be removed from the front door, being an old floppy bay.

That's cool, it was just an idea. :p
    I hadn't though about the PSU, but you need to cover that front panel up, either way. If you have a slight bit of clearance in the door, consider putting something, like an old beige drive panel (cut the little bit that sticks to the tray off and use it) over the hole. Then it looks like you have an old drive. :D I really like that all-in-one though. but remember you'll need to fork out another $50 for the drive.

Besides, that small slit isn't going to let much air through as is; you'd be getting more air from the intake, even for the PSU. Consider a PSU with a bottom 120mm fan in the future.

No problem. It makes me feel involved because I'm not doing my own version :thumbup:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  13. Liighthead

Liighthead New Member

dam thats turned out really nice o_O

:D

14. OP
    OP
    Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Yeah but like I said most of the mATX 1155 boards all have the CPU socket closer to the HDD bay, so it wouldn't be worth buying a fan now and then in a month or two not being able to use it. The HDD can't go out the front either, unless I leave one of the screws out which makes it sorta hang down a bit. That's why the whole cage slides out so you can unscrew the HDD as you can't get to one of the screws on one side as the mobo tray blocks it from the rear.

I don't need to cover it up, it looks alright tbh. I'm willing to buy that silverstone drive bay though, I have a few 2.5" drives I can use with it and I would love two front USB ports.
    The slit isn't that small, it would be around as big as an 80mm hole in area which is all the PSU has. When the noctua fan in the PSU is on 40% and I put my hand in the hole I can feel a soft breeze going past my hand. It's pretty much the only hole the PSU gets to breath through. With the silverstone bay I might leave the slim optical drive bay empty to allow air to still come through to the PSU.
    I did consider a PSU with a 120mm fan, but the holes the PSU is screwed into are upside down so the fan would suffocate on the top of the case. I have tried just sitting one in the other way (with the PSU sucking air from the CPU socket area like a normal case), but the power plug hits the classic PSU cutout and you can't get a PSU in properly if using some models of PSU's. Besides the Antec is still a great older PSU, powers the system fine and doesn't get hot at all. And is modular!!

Do one then :thumbup: :lol:
    Just buy a mATX board the same socket as your current setup.

Thanks man :D

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  15. Mr. Blue

Mr. Blue (Banned or Deleted)

It looks un fucking real bro. After seeing you drop your noctua fan in the CPU, I decided i'd try and put my spare noctua in my CM psu. But bloody hell, they hard-wired it. i am so pissed now. LoL.

16. brayway

brayway Member

Solder:thumbup:

17. Mr. Blue

Mr. Blue (Banned or Deleted)

I got a soldering iron, hmm ,maybe, is it hard to do?

18. OP
    OP
    Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Cut it out then if you ever need to put the original back in the solder it on. I doubt you would need to though.
    The antec PSU had just a standard 2-pin, pulled out nicely. I can simply plug it back in if I want to sell it or something and the buyer doesn't want to have to control the PSU fan separate.

19. brayway

brayway Member

Not really, pretty easy.

Ahh, so you ran yours out of the actual PSU, and into a fan controller, or motherboard?

20. synic

synic Member

That's why everyone should have a solder iron hanging around. I've had to solder Noctua's in to two of my PSU's...