World of Tanks (F2P)

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by DarknRahl, Aug 10, 2010.

1. spectre257

spectre257 Member

It also depends on the role you are looking to fill it seems to work well for me as a spotter/harass tank.

If you're trying to vapourise multiple tanks in a couple of volleys I'd say the Hellcat is a better choice (also the extra pen is useful).

2. Coopz

Coopz Member

Friend has started playing WoT and wants me to rejoin.. Has it changed much in the last 18 months? I lost interest after reaching tier 8 and kept going on these awful losing streaks of days at a time, win rate went from 58% to 49% in 1 month:tongue:

3. The MWNN

The MWNN Member

I've moved from Europe to Canada since starting play and from what I can see they don't transfer accounts.

Cant be fucked starting again and I was only up to Tier6.

4. r8response

r8response Member

OMG you lost 9% win rating...

[​IMG]

5. sabrejak

sabrejak Member

yes it's changed a bit but its still the same old game, if you friend has already started just download and give it a try to see changes.

there is a lot more tanks ingame now so maybe a good idea to look at stats before jumping into your T8 first game also new maps + changes to old ones.

Your stats will take a hit again after such a long break

6. Coopz

Coopz Member

Well it became pretty annoying when the MM kept putting me on Team Nofuckingidea. Still remember going for multiple days at a time without a single win and the constant stupidity even from tier 8+ players was amazing. ..but you always get that in free games.

I'll give it ago, have to remember my login details:tongue:

7. sabrejak

sabrejak Member

that still happens, carry harder!! :Pirate: back then the AVG skill level on SEA was low, nfi what its like now as i stayed on the NA server

8. Commie_Mike

Commie_Mike Member

the frustrating part for me is when I'm getting my 2x. The games I carry hard the team still manages to lose, and the very next game we roll the enemy and I don't end up doing much at all >.>

the metagame has shifted somewhat away from TDs back to HTs and MTs. A lot of the maps have been changed to essentially be a set of 3-4 corridors with nowhere a TD can set up out of sight and plenty of cover from arty. not to mention ruinberg and himmelsdorf popping up twice as often...

9. mtma

mtma Member

I've found the big boomstick ISU to be still pretty awesome.

More assault and ambush style play and less camp and snipe.

10. Renegade40D

Renegade40D Member

Looking for something different to play without having to make a heavy $$ investment.

How important are microtransactions / premium etc for world of tanks?

11. waynos.com

waynos.com Member

I wont lie, it helps advancement quite dramatically. (extra credits and XP)
    Although you can do everything gold players can without spending a cent. It just takes longer.

I started off just playing for free, but since have been hugely hooked and have spend many hundreds on this game (mainly for premium status). I dont care though, as it turns out to be very cheap entertainment and is a well supported game.

If you are setting up a new account, there may be a code that gets you a free premium tank, free gold, or maybe premium time floating around. They come around quite often.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  12. mtma

mtma Member

The effect of premium on progress is profound at tiers 8 and above. It is possible to pay your way through it though. But theres plenty of pay time before you reach that level.

13. Franc

Franc Member

They arent required, I know plenty of players who havent spent a cent. (You can get in game gold if you join some clans but IMO you are just getting yourself a second job)

If you are like most people though, 10 bucks odd of premium a month if you are trying to get high tier tanks and one tier 8 premium will make things a lot quicker and wont break the budget.

And theres a lot of fun to be had in low tier tanks (A lot of us with many many top tier tanks still play low tiers for fun).

14. Renegade40D

Renegade40D Member

Thanks, will give it a crack, if i like it i dont mind throwing $10 at it every now and again. Just dont want it to be the dominating factor.

On a side note is it possible to pause the download without losing the downloads progress? There is only a cancel button and at 7GB thats a good 4 to 5 hours on my net.

15. Nashkell

Nashkell Member

If you are downloading through the launcher I am 95% sure if you close it then it will just resume where it stopped.

16. r8response

r8response Member

It downloads the patches via a torrent file. Wherever you stop, the launcher will pick up from afterwards.

If you want, you can go to the updates folder, load the torrent into your favorite torrent program and control it from there.

17. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Skill level on the SEA server still sucks, all the way to tier X. It's killing my enjoyment when lemmings abound when you are trying to grind up, games that should be won end in a rout, and I'm usually the low end of the team to boot.

18. sabrejak

sabrejak Member

To be fair NA west is like that at times, ok a lot of the time and you can guarantee that its when you are in a tank that can not carry.

hmm latest rumor on the FV4202 is when it made premium it will be given free to those people that have it already as was the T34 before it, hmm maybe i should start grinding. only like 630k away from it :sick: lol

19. Franc

Franc Member

Its killing my enjoyment when campers just sit at the back and think hey are good when they polish off a few tanks that others are wounded when the game is already lost.

Cant win either way. Though in all fairness I hardly notice the lemmings as I always push the atttack

20. Marlborosmoker

Marlborosmoker Member

Hey guys I started playing not too long ago. started playing arty 1st because it was something I could half ass and got to tier 5 french artillery, got kind of tired of basically not being to influence games even less than usual-no-one spots or they all flood one side of the map leaving me and any other arty trying to pin back the other team flooding the other side. So I started going down the British line and greatly enjoying driving the matilda and AT2 around. and I've bought a couple of the cheaper tier 3 premiums like the t127 (got sick of auto cannon spam and enjoying bouncing them now). Been getting a few more top guns, etc so I think I'm getting better, but it's kinda hard to tell as my winrate is at 51%. Though it was at like 40% a month ago. I guess I'm wondering is when I get thrown into tier 6 and 7 matches and I'm the low tier whats the best thing to do? Kill what I can kill? or just go support the heavies and be nuisance value/give the opposition something else to shoot at? also will the tier 8,9,10 British heavy tank line be very different from the Matilda/Churchill style? Also is it just me or are the guns on the premium tanks pretty meh?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014