World of Tanks (F2P)

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by DarknRahl, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

If you want premium, lash and get a T34, great money maker, but being tier 8 you will end up in up to tier ten matches, so play careful.

As for tanks - play several different lines and find what you are suited more to, spg, medium, scout or heavy, and play what suits you best for a while - thats my thoughts.

2. scarecrow420

scarecrow420 Member

IS-6 is another good money making option - also it has special matchmaking and only sees up to tier 9 (unlike the T34 that sees T10 as well) which can be good

And yes generally a premium tank is "worse" than fully upgraded tanks of the same tier, their main purpose is to make credits and train your crews. If you weren't aware, you can put a crew into the premium tank of the same nation/tanktype and they operate at full skill level and earn full experience, you don't have to retrain them for the premium tank. So say you are working on the soviet heavy tanks and currently in the IS, if you buy the IS-6 you can put the IS crew in the IS-6 without retraining them and grind out extra experience (or at least do the daily 2x double XP in both the IS and IS-6 for that crew thus meaning they get more XP than if you just ran them in the IS that day).

In terms of what to do when you are low tier, hang back and support your stronger team mates, try and find flanking opportunities to hit the enemies in the side/rear, there are also lowbies on the opposing team of the same tier as you so you can focus on trying to take them down as well. It's certainly not the time to lead a YOLO charge and also it's not necessarily advisable to try and be a nuisance target since in a lot of cases you can be cleaned up by the stronger opponents without having caused much of a distraction at all... depends on what tank you're in of course

3. ausghostdog

ausghostdog Member

snip**snip

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  4. Marlborosmoker

Marlborosmoker Member

Ah i didn't quite understand that about the premiums I have like 500 matches in the T127, 400 in the matilda, 600in the amx 105 arty. I got the vk 20.01 d yesterday and I'm absolutely hating it. Nice gun but the cupola is just a massive target. I kinda figured that the actual style I like is it doesn't have to have the best gun, just consistent damage high acc, and really strong armor for its tier. Being noob the high survivability really helps cover up when i make mistakes. I was kind of thinking going all the way for french arty, german mediums, soviet and british heavies and the US for TD's. The Chinese line maybe if I want to set up a scout but tbh I only really know to passive scout.

5. Commie_Mike

Commie_Mike Member

if you want an OP premium then the FCM 36 pak 40 is pretty fun. doesn't make much much credits though at tier 3, is just a fun tank. but yeah otherwise the premiums tend to have average pen. the T34 and lowe have good pen for prems but they do not get preferential match making so are absolutely not worth it IMO. the jagtiger 8.8 has nice pen but low alpha damage. the shells are dirty cheap though and the DPM is amazing. It's a really good premium.

The IS-6 though is probably the best. pref matchmaking, bounces shells all day long. the gun's pen and accuracy isn't great but it's mitigated by the fact that it can easily get close to the action and reliably hit weak spots. The KV-5 is another great tank when it's on sale but harder to play.

The su-122-44 is also very OP. It didn't get camo nurfed like normal TDs did and has ridiculous DPM. Makes fair ammount of credits as well. doesn't have preferential MMing but doesn't need it.

6. sabrejak

sabrejak Member

seen your post on the reddit, you would of been better just adding him to the ignore list or not saying anything as trolls will troll ;)

I think all of the premium TD got to keep there camo stats :sick:

7. Commie_Mike

Commie_Mike Member

they did, E25 is still OP as hell :lol:

8. GDavid

GDavid Member

LOL :Paranoid:

PAK40 for low tier lols but positioning is critical.
    I am loving the T34 now, elevating gun between shots (as posted a few pages back iirc) helps to bounce quite a few shots and it fares much better than the Lowe (turd). Expect good dmg games even in tier x. It's gun depression is really good and it sidescrapes and hulls down very well.

JT88 can be smashed by HE, and needs careful positioning as it is as mobile as a cargo ship with coke can armor on the top, sides and rear.

What the guys are saying about the IS-6 is pretty well backed up by what I hear too. I had a KV-5 but sold it on a whim.

Premiums can depend on what you want to grind too but I still love jumping into the Churchill III as it makes money regularly, has an XP bonus built in and also gets pref MM.

There are some new prems coming soon too with a rumoured US TD finally and the Chinese type 64 seeing a lot of tier 6 stronkolds atm...

9. Coopz

Coopz Member

I do like my SU-122 but its taken me over 100 games to understand its unique play style. Its doom cannon is awesome but often makes you pull your hair out in frustration. Can fire a 400+ damage pen shot into the front of a tier 9 heavy but then a KV1 will bounce it at close range sideon:tongue: Its accuracy is also poor, armor is weak and the guns traverse range is abysmal plus the shells are expensive but I've had a few 60,000+ credit earning games with a standard account. Its fast as well. Also its a top priority for the enemy most of the time, they often fall over themselves in trying to kill me, usually ignoring the more serious threats. Just be prepared for a lot of tier 9 games.

10. sabrejak

sabrejak Member

lol coopz, it sounds like you need to pray to RNGESUS.

just remember 70 deg+ is auto ricochet, I love the 0 damage crits the most :upset:

11. mtma

mtma Member

Of the tier 8 premiums the IS-6 seems to be the only one that is consistent amongst a wide range of players.

The others that can be purchased all seen to net fairly varied results. There aren't any duds as such but you need a grip on their idiosyncrasies. For example I have the T-34-3 which is possibly one of the most despised premium tanks (for reasons I would largely agree with) but I do get fairly good results out of it and make decent money.

Also regarding being penned on weakspots, you better get used to it, no tank is impermeable and especially so when gold is involved. Learn to wiggle and evade, a skill especially necessary on a medium tank like the vk2001.

At higher tiers being penned is a reality for most tanks.

12. Coopz

Coopz Member

Man, had some fun yesterday, thought a quick hours worth of WoT this morning would continue the fun...
    :sick::sick::sick: 15 games, 1 win, almost every single game was a 1-15 annihilation. One sided games with poor skill mixes is what made me quit WoT last time, good to see the MM still does not look at stats when throwing a team together.

If the idiot in the first game stayed on the cap with me instead of chasing after a SPG resulting in us losing I'm sure it would have changed the 14 games I went in.

13. Commie_Mike

Commie_Mike Member

I had a win rate of 33% last night with a WN8 average of 2400. some days MM will spoon feed you a 70% WR, others you're fighting tooth and nail for every win...

but yeah, IS-6 is easily the safest choice for tier 8 prem. Coming up against a platoon of them at top tier is an absolute nightmare.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  14. Marlborosmoker

Marlborosmoker Member

I find I really struggle with the fast medium/scout style of play. I unlocked the panzer III/IV and I just can't get to grips with it. I just don't think/react fast enough. Every battle I have one goal do at least as much damage as my hp. while I have like a 55% win rate on the thing my stats are just utter garbage. AT2 I kinda figured out early especially in encounter battles as top tier. You're not a TD for sniping since I use the howitzer, you go in waggle your tank and blast people in the face in except when i get tier 7 when I just try and track people because the gun is just not good enough. Same with the Matilda except it's more flexible as I can snipe at tier 5/6 battles and pump shots out. Still have massive problems with KV1's, but getting better at pouring shots into the machine gun port. Struggling with the churchill atm as well it just so damn big and constantly getting tracked. I'm waiting for the new British premium atm. Generally like the heavy armor slow moving dpm based gun concept that most of the British line seem to have. I guess I just like being a cockroach - be hard to kill

Generally while it's fun I am getting pretty tired of random battles where people have no concept of their role or tactics. Have a fast tank (not a scout) with paper thin armor (seems to always happen on ruinberg)?? No problems go into the tightest part of the map you'll be fine the heavies are just going to ignore you after they one shot you. We're getting flanked? WTF is that a cut of meat? I mean I can handle being beat by better tanks/better players but when you can't even get basic tactics right it just drives me insane. Also I play artillery a lot bu I am really careful not to hit teamates. But the amount of times arty just don't care I can see why most people hate artillery in the game

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  15. Commie_Mike

Commie_Mike Member

everyone struggles against the KV-1; even in a tier VII tank they have an annoying habit of bouncing shells. It's an OP tank.

I haven't played the pz iii/iv but generally the easiest way to play a medium is you get to a nice sniping spot or somewhere close to the action but near hard cover. let the HTs draw the attention and spot targets and you just pop out for the opportunistic hits. when most of the tanks are dead is when you then spend some of your HP and go more offensive. I've had games where I've achieved nothing for most of the game until the end and still ended up on top for damage. As a medium having patience tends to be is key. you can of course go aggressive from the start if you know the tank and map but that's high-risk high-reward. If you team is hell-bent on losing, just shoot and fall back. the pubbies generally will just sit there and wait for the onslaught so you'll be able to fall back and hit tanks as they're finishing off friendlies.

as for the pubbies themselves they tend to be less stupid in higher tiers. you still get occasional whole teams of red and yellow but its usually a bit better.

16. GDavid

GDavid Member

Finally after 130 odd battles, I wasn't expecting this on Mines and had no idea where to go as the game started... Do love this boat, a couple of weeks back smacked a Jagdpanther in it's side for full health with a standard round. Sadly, there was no turret in the moneyshot... ;)

[​IMG]

17. spectre257

spectre257 Member

The Panzer 3/4 is probably one of the most fun German mediums in the game, although my winrate is crap in it. It's a fast, manoeuvrable and hard hitting little tank. I run vents, gunlay and grousers.

Top tier you can usually afford to be fairly aggressive. When you're mid and low tier you're basically a scout hunter, and opportunist harasser.

Some pz 3/4 games
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

I personally really enjoyed the vk3001d. That was a REALLY fun tank, that i elited damn quickly. Quick, tiered right, and with that gun could really do some damage!

19. Commie_Mike

Commie_Mike Member

I finally finished the 430 ii grind last night and got the 430. played one game and did well; seems like quite a nice little tank.

20. Marlborosmoker

Marlborosmoker Member

it's always fun in encounter mode and no-one knows where to shoot you. Always like it when i do the double of steel wall and high caliber ( would've been nice to get top gun but a couple of kills got ninja'd). Sadly I need to get more high calibers like this game. Pretty happy that almost all of the damage was done to the heavies. Can't wait for the tortoise. Gave up on mediums at the moment. really focusing on on the at8 and churchill mark vII. I need to get better at sidescraping. I like the churchill markvii but it for some reason I can't seem to have consistently good games because a lot of the time i'm bottom tier.

Click to view full size!

My efficiency is still poor but over the last couple of weeks it;s been climbing almost

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014