1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

WOW World of Warcraft - Shadowlands

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by CAPT-Irrelevant, Nov 4, 2019.

1. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Now that the next (8th) expansion is official and has been unveiled, time to start a new thread.

2. raGneG

raGneG Member

I absolutely hated the 'dis need doin' mun' expansion and dread levelling the content in it enough to not have levelled an alt. To be honest I only did a few raid nights early in the xpac before dumping it all together.

I like this after life concept though and everything they've said they're doing - level cap squish, easier/better levelling experience etc - sounds great. I do however, really hope they cut down on the amount of tedious repetitive maintenance task stuff they have been introducing xpac after xpac.

Anyway, I won't pre-order but I'll inevitably be getting this and in the very least do the levelling and some dungeons etc.

3. miicah

miicah Member

Being able to level an alt in whatever expac you want is pretty cool

4. OP
    OP
    CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

When I read into the level squish, my thought is that it's more like a level-splat/flatten. I never liked the idea of levelling over 100, because to me Level 100 is like "100%", you're there at the epitome of your power. Exceeding 100 just seemed silly.

Now that levelling 10-50 across any expansion is to be the thing, that makes my concerns about levelling on old content much more at ease as it may balance out the lore impact of the stories. Some stories in the lower levels seemed like they would've benefitted more at higher levels, and higher level stories that were "meh" overshadowed them which ruined the experience. I suppose this'll help make old school epic/legendary items relevant again.

It's also good that we're not having to be linearly funnelled through expansions on. While it's still good to do them, being forced through them for the sake of levelling got silly in hindsight.

5. KosTanzA

KosTanzA Member

I'm hyped. My 1st impressions usually stick with me the entire expansion

6. shirl

shirl Member

14 years of wow here,i did preorder the expansion ill see how it goes nowadays all i seem to do is really bg,gone are the 15+ hour days on wow now it like log on im bored lol log off..

7. Kaji

Kaji Member

+100% xp buff is active until Shadowlands prepatch (August at very, very earliest - I'd wager closer to December for our USA friends), and the +100% rep buff is active until 18th May.

If you want to try the game, now's the perfect time. If you're an alt whore/achieve slut like me, it's go time.

Squirt is also up 03/05 US time for you pet lovers.

8. hotsuma

hotsuma Member

im playing classic and not played the most recent 2 expansions of retail but the shadowlands changes so far do look like a step in the correct direction

it looks like in some ways they are trying to start over and simplify the million expansions by letting you totally ignore their existance which is great.

my understanding is all new characters now start in a new tutorial starting zone , finish that then pick any expansion to level to shadowlands apropriate level.

ive only skipped 2 expansions and it was just too confusing , like i had no idea where to go to level , i didnt buy bfa so i i had to find the expansion i didnt play and again every class was totally different again

the new random generated endless dungeon thing where you get character modifiers does look like its fun but im sure blizz will fuck up something about how the rewards work

fun stuff like that if you can only do it once a week however good it is you only get to have that fun once a week or roll alts but modern wow has too many daily quests for alts

honestly i have most classes high level but if were to get shadowlands i think id roll a new character , do the starting zone then level in tbc because i quite liked that leveling experience . hopefully that way i could totally ignore all the old expansions and just treat shadowlands as a new mmo

actually i can likley do that without purchasing shadowlands just roll a new character and play up till shadowlands level in tbc when it launches

i think currently the hype is not based on enough substance to warrant it, but what they have shown does appear like maybe just maybe they are making something worth playing

9. Kaji

Kaji Member

Just Blizz following the old good xpac/bad xpac routine - we're due now :p

10. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Just got some free game time so tried to play wow again for first time in 10 years, got some issue where i can not use "shop", join a guild or talk to people in trade/city chat. Where the fuck even is Global?
    Looks like due to Blizzards incompetence again they won't be getting money from me, just decided not to continue with the crap. Incompetent.

11. Coma White

Coma White Member

They've survived without you for 10 years so I'm sure they'll be fine going forward.

Nethiuz likes this.
  12. Kaji

Kaji Member

I'm pretty sure free accounts can't talk in public chats because it's been used for spam/gold selling before, so they locked it down.

Madengineer likes this.
  13. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Sounds like your using a free account, free accounts can't do all of that on purpose - and are limited to level 20.

14. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Nope, using my old account that has a level 90 toon, which has existed for over a decade, support ticket reply today, apparently time and subs are "Pending"for several days lately and you can't use many things whilst that is the case.
    Again that is piss poor.

I highly doubt that, they better do everything they can to keep people.

[​IMG]
    Source: https://www.polygon.com/2016/8/25/1...-warlords-draenor-disaster-legion-burned-fans

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  15. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Interesting. Confirms my opinion that WOTLK was the best expansion :thumbup:

Nethiuz likes this.
  16. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

That is when i left, after finishing WOTLK, it was great. Back now (kinda) and it's a mess. BFA is complete shit. But i hold hope for Shadowlands, i would like to get back into WOW. The procedural never the same dungeon looks interesting.

17. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

I played from Vanilla beta in July 2004 through to the the start of MoP. Hated MoP and quit in 2013. Came back with every expansion release since for a month or so and then quit. None of them can hold my attention anymore.

I was really excited for WOW Classic and came back for about 3 months, but left because of the community. I think it's actually the people that ruin WOW these days - not so much the content. Back in Vanilla everyone was interested in the lore and engaged in the game and the community. Now everyone (even in Wow Classic) just want to run things in the most efficiency and fastest way, unload on anyone not running the ideal spec or that doesn't know exactly what to do in a dungeon/raid or that wants to do the entire thing instead of skipping sections.

/end old person rant

FuzwaldQO and Nethiuz like this.
  18. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Agreed, the people are just shit now, i hate the dungeon finder rubbish, you enter a dungeon (i am healer) and before i load in the tank has pulled the room, DPS have aggro and shit's gone to shit then i get the blame.
    They want to do it as fast as possible, no hi or hello.
    Luckily i found a guild for people over 35 and they are awesome, kids ruin it.

19. luke o

luke o Member

I played from vanilla in the early release days for years, stopped on and off through various expansions. Last expac was visually good, but mechanics and grind just to stay relevant on your main drove me to quit again, very alt unfriendly.

The guild you are in makes all the difference I think, would be the only way I'd come back as the average playerbase is toxic, I swear half of them are bots, no talking, zero room to learn anything just robotic rinse and repeat random dungeons over and over again.

Nethiuz likes this.
  20. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

I must have got lucky, active guild, everyone an adult, discord busy all the time. Guild only stuff constantly! :)
    As for the ALT unfriendly agree, i did the annoying BFA quest chains to get the legendary cloak and there is 0 chance i'm going to do that again, i don't like quests to begin with, i am a MP person not Solo.
    Also the Pathfinder crap to get flying? Not a single point to even beginning it because when Shadowlands drops you can instantly fly everywhere for free. Why waste my time?