WOW World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by NSanity, Aug 7, 2015.

1. mtw

mtw Member

It's more the lack of variety, now there's like 6 abilities per class. Everyone has some form of self heal etc. What's the point?

2. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

No they don’t? I didn’t think hunters did? Or warriors? Or mages?
    Also, little bit of heals isn’t game changing. Cause it’s only ever enough for small things. Not big.

3. mtw

mtw Member

I don't know why we are even arguing this - if you are still playing WOW today then you aren't the target market for classic (hence why I asked the question if this is the place to discuss it). WOW Classic is an attempt by Blizzard to win back the people like myself who find the current game boring and are no longer giving Blizzard their money. It will bring back subscribers, but I have no idea how long it will last!

4. afcca

afcca Member

The target audience is a bunch of people playing on free servers that think the game was better over a decade ago and don't like progress. The only reason classic has traction is because Bliz is sick of seeing their IP ripped off, but if there is a subscription required to play classic I can guarantee you that most of the 'target clientel' who are playing on private realms now will not be playing just because it's an official server.

As for the game being boring, to each their own. I've been through every expansion and every single one of them has had an exciting part and a major lul whether it be from content drought, daily grind fatigue, overwhelming amounts of things to do or simply having nothing to do... every version of the game has had that. Vanilla was no different, and would of died off quite quickly without expansions. I would love to see how many people quit during the initial leveling grind. If you call that fun you have serious rose coloured glasses on, because it was monotonous, tedious and extremely boring. I should know, I had one of every class and still do.

I will however (providing I don't need to pay an additional sub fee or anything) give it a go for nostalgic purposes, as long as what they deliver is actually classic. The community either wants classic but they want the quality of life updates that have happened in the past 14 years as well, or there are the purists who want the buggy crashy OG vanilla that will turn people off. I don't see it lasting long at all, few years tops if that.

5. Kaji

Kaji Member

(This is in as much of a non-asshole tone I can muster - which is always hard for a wanker from Vanilla)

Vanilla is very much a game of its time and its environment - If I didn't have my friends and my guild running content with me, I think I would have quit long ago before TBC/WotLK/etc came out. With no LFR, getting that raid content is just a dream; Vanilla raids are like getting fisted with a chainsaw (and, of course, spending 6 hours for the mats to prepare for it).

Sure, finding fellow ilvl raiders with external apps is much easier now (Discord/websites/etc), but you can't be fucking around - class composition, raid composition, etc is a real thing you can't just handwave away. Anyway - you know exactly what needs to be done to level faster / kill bosses (DEEP BREATH) / things to conquer content - but is that fun? Is that what you're playing Vanilla for? Doing Uldaman for exp grinds, wiping on whelps on UBRS, helping your Warlock friend for his mount quest is what Vanilla is about, and as much as I would love a legit Vanilla server to recreate that, I think Blizzard's server will only last so far - and I think that's because of the population experiencing the life of Vanilla for real again.

The old grind can only go so far - sure, you can kill lvl 60 elites in Winterspring for that world drop, or go for that Gelkis Clan Centaur reputation toil, but it's only so much. Getting 9 classes to 60 was just a dream, let alone to an ilvl for raiding. You could do the PvP grind to Rank 14/High Warlord, but holy fuck, you're going for the 16 hours a day grind.

I love Vanilla, and I'll be playing Blizzard's server - and I hope I'm 100% wrong. I hope it's done correctly, with a huge population on one server (server tech should be much better now), and everyone has a fucking awesome time. But, we'll see.

BoutS and Kykachi like this.
  6. BoutS

BoutS Member

You had me at getting fisted with a chainsaw.

7. Kykachi

Kykachi Member

Reading this, it rung true the rose tinted lens that has been applied by many Vanilla 'purists' - I played in Vanilla - remembering the release of the wardrobe options, hell Dire Maul being released. Many upon many of the QOL improvements in WoW throughout its iterations are fantastic - alot of which were in infancy towards the end of Vanilla - building into my favourite of the expansions, TBC.

Social gaming wise - guild controls are fantastic now, LFG/LFR is a quality addition that has roots into Vanilla/TBC meeting stones etc. Cross server functionalities and others are the things that will be missed greatly in the gameplay experiences.

Not to be an arse, but you are kidding here right? Do you remember buying skills? The fact that you would have to use a lesser tiered ability because its mana/energy/whatever costs was not the most efficient? Seriously, WoW's Vanilla combat gameplay was terrible - a poorly implemented shitshow - especially at the higher levels. There is more options and roles available now, than there ever were. My favourite class is Druid (am a fan of the monk now as well tbh) and though i usually play as a healer predominately - that was the only choice back then - if you rolled tanking or DPS, legitimate choices now, you were laughed out and raid kicked.

My first character that i got any progression on was a Warlock - which in Vanilla was a nightmare - storing soulstones to do anything, want to summon a pet - soulstone, need to summon a mount - soulstone, need to take a shit... you get the point.

Vanilla posed some great moments, in a bubble, world dragons, actual world events, competitive guilds, very active PVP - but the bubble burst long ago. When you look back at it critically, the game was bogged down with unnecessary guff, too much grind, poor/limited end game content and completely devoid of intelligent design.

/rant
    To that end, I hope that Blizzard raises the Vanilla servers and that people enjoy the nostalgia. I hope that Blizzard stubbornly leaves alot of the QOL improvements in so people can have the Vanilla tourist experience instead :p

8. BoutS

BoutS Member

I played alot of Vanilla and ill say it was a lovely experience back then, but the grind/sillyness of it all is not lost on me. Personally i never participated in raids back then, it was mainly world pvp i was there for with friends from another mmo where pvp was the thing to do once you done everything else.

I much prefer where wow is today, sure the ongoing changes to spells and the dilution of talents and the spell book is a questionable move but most, for the main part they are all in the net positive territory of quality of life improvements towards players.

Kykachi likes this.
  9. afcca

afcca Member

This is kind of the biggest point most people are forgetting, most specs in Vanilla weren't even viable let alone competitive. If you wanted to tank you were a warrior and nothing else as druids were heavily reliant on +armor gear that wasn't very common and protection paladins were OOM in 3 seconds flat and laughed out of the raid. If you wanted to play a shadow priest you were great in pvp but in pve content you spent most of your time wanding because of blowing your load in the first 30 seconds. The list goes on and on and on.

Now, you have the option to play any spec in any class in any setting and have fun doing it and being competitive. If you don't like the way a class or spec plays, try another one, there's 36 for crying out loud and they're all pretty damn great compared to spamming shadowbolt for 20mins (I raided a lock in vanilla)

Kykachi likes this.
  10. miicah

miicah Member

I liked that, I had 3 heals bound, 1k/3k/5k depending on incoming damage and current damage. Flash heal was too mana intensive so if I wanted to top someone off I could use a lower rank. And the other priest in my guild didn't give a fuck and just chugged potions and used flash heal. Two playstyles, both legit.

Kykachi likes this.
  11. Kykachi

Kykachi Member

Other parts I just remembered, simple things like inventory management, quivers and arrows for hunters, those candles for Paladins (or was it priests), vanishing dust, poisons, vials for rogues, throwing knives for warriors. Even the "stacks" are an improvement on the Vanilla experience.
    +1 above - Alts, nobody really had alts. Which is a shame because the game was and still is different for at least each role.
    Farming materials? Max stack, if I remember was either 5 or 20 depending on the material.

This is a game where end game items were so scarce (not rare, but scarce) that carrot on a stick and Linkens boomerang were legitimate choices for trinkets on some classes. Hell bags were a valued drop, a travellers backpack was the shit.

Further on the spellbooks, the highest end ones, were dungeon drops, like 10 man dungeons and raids. Moronic.

Oh and if anything dropped you had to roll against the hunter. Fkn hunters.

Having to consult thottbot because quests were terribly laid out.

Singular flight paths, no mounts until 40 (if you could afford it), the list goes on. The sheer amount of time spent running, thank fuck for /f.

Though I am mostly negative here, I played the hell out of Vanilla, it's just that we didn't know better (unless you played EQ etc). It's kinda the curse that did in a lot of the "WoW" killers as well, replicating that gameplay was not conducive to sustained subscriptions and play.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  12. Kykachi

Kykachi Member

Lol, because apparently Vanilla WoW triggers me today - I would like to remind all of the fact that you had to queue not only for raids but dungeons via the terrible LFG chat channel (no ilvl checks here) you needed go to the actual location of PVP areas to queue up and wait... not going to miss that at all.

13. Kykachi

Kykachi Member

Totally specced into wand damage as a disc priest, legit reliable dps - bubble-swp-wand ftw.

miicah likes this.
  14. afcca

afcca Member

Playing a lock I had to wand for the first 20% of a boss before I could go ham, my threat was through the roof. I have a screenshot of when I ignored the threat celing on Broodlord in BWL and just got bored and he hit me for 10x my hp!

Kykachi likes this.
  15. Kaji

Kaji Member

Random Vanilla shit:

Dishonorable Kills
    Hit Rating
    Magic Resistance
    Running out of gold so you couldn't respec
    Attunements
    Releasing with 1.1.0 (no Battlegrounds/Honor) or 1.12?

WHO KNOWS ?!

16. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Back when it was limited to just the server you were on, and people actually chatted in organising PUGs AND during the raid/dungeon. Players developed good/bad rep with the server community not just on skill but communication. PUGs these days are silent affairs or abuse city, because no one gives a shit about rep. LFG tool killed the server community.

17. afcca

afcca Member

Literally only an issue if you don't have a decent guild. Preach has done this topic to death, and as he states every time most of the community are in toxic crap guilds.. but they were around in Vanilla too. I had a reputation on my server because I was geared and reliable, but I also had a good guild to run everything with. If you give a damn about LFG you're playing only half the game, get a guild and be social.

Kykachi likes this.
  18. Kykachi

Kykachi Member

I forgot about this, reminded me of the +spell dmg, which was exclusive of +heal power and then there were the + fire dmg, + arcane etc.

And then the same to be said of resist gear - fire/nature(or was it called poison? - for zg)/frost the grinding of which and down scaling armour to accomodate the requirement was simply bad design. This gear requirement to attune was poorly implemented and truly countered the core of the gameplay, gratification via sweet sweet loot.

I referenced attempted WoW killers before, the most potent one that comes to mind was Rift. It sold the 'vanilla' hardcore experience - specifically echoing the 'attunement' structure. Don't get me wrong, attunement wasn't the worst idea - and it exists in current content in the way of raid pre-requisite completion, completing quest chains etc - however the Vanilla iteration requirement to farm materials that are not even in the same zone as the raid to unlock access was plain stupid, especially when built into a quest chain that not many people completed. I am referring to the quest chain for BRD/UBRS/BWL, cant really remember which one now, that required you to complete a key that is in part farmed out of the Hinterlands - a lvl what 45ish zone. Now, I did get paid rather handsomely just to join groups to unlock and then leave again, but it was a stupid thing to begin with.

19. mtw

mtw Member

I disagree that the private server players are the target players for this. They likely were playing on private servers back when vanilla was the current game.

I like a lot of the QOL changes that have been introduced over the years but I think cross-server functionality has to be one of the worst changes introduced. That is when the 'community' aspect of WOW started to die imo. Ironically, this change came out during vanilla.

I certainly do remember buying skills and using Level 1 versions of heals etc. I don't understand why all current players view others wanting to play vanilla as a personal affront. No, vanilla WoW was not perfect. I don't think anyone is actually claiming that. However, I would not pay a monthly subscription to play the current version of WoW. I would pay a monthly subscription to play vanilla (not sure for how long as I've previously said, 'cause at some point it will get stale!).

I'm very interested to see how they approach classic... Will it just be 'one and done' putting in 1.12, or will it cycle through the updates or some condensed version of the updates (e.g. second update is actually 1.6 bringing in BWL, third update is 1.7 bringing in ZG and so on).

To answer my own question, discussing it here seems just fine as long as you can deal with the bunch of angry retail players :lol:

20. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

I've almost leveled my Paladin. Seems easier to do it via dungeons now than it was when Legion released...