World record game room - and it's in Australia.

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Jul 3, 2017.

1. power

power Member

I wasn't aware of this guy before just the other day but to say his collection is both mind boggling, impressive and just drool worthy is an understatement. 17, 466 games!

Enjoy!!

2. zhenjie

zhenjie Member

I could spend several lifetimes in there!

3. clonex

clonex Member

that is well and truly on a another level

4. Krumm

Krumm Member

It's been quite a journey for him to get where he is and would love to have the same room / collection to play. Whilst I don't know him personally he used to post over on Aussie Arcade forums when he was adding a small room to his house for his games (this was tiny compared to now), that then progressed to adding a second story on his house, to then moving and building that awesome games room you see now.

It's a shame he has removed all his old videos as it was an interesting watch and of course he's not done yet as he's planning to add another room to expand on that one.

5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Amazing setup. Very well laid out with being able to access everything. Very happy to see a Wii hooked up to a 16:9 CRT too (that's how I've got mine set up, and it's far nicer to look at than scaled on an LCD).

My games area is spread across three very small rooms - one for arcades, one for consoles, and one for gaming PCs. It's very difficult to set it up in such a way that everything can be played at once (impossible for the consoles, as the player must spin around to play games on three sides of the room).

I'd love a giant room dedicated to everything, but I just don't have the space. I've got a shed I do a lot of woodwork and building in that could be converted, but then I lose my build space, so I'm not sure what to do there.

[edit]

Just saw his magazine setup. As before, mine are on terrible shelves, and I need a better solution for them. Plus a few years back, an upstairs air conditioner broke down and leaked all over mine, destroying quite a few "Retro Gamer" magazines. At least my original 1980s and 1990s "Mean Machines" and "Computer and Video Games" survived!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  6. badmofo

badmofo Member

Amazing indeed and I hope it brings him much joy. Personally I get a strong sense of my possessions owning me after a while so I try to keep my collection tight - I hate worrying about the safety of my treasures while away on family holidays for example, but I do, so the less "stuff" there is the better.

A serious collector like that must stay up all night clutching a shotgun in one hand and a fire extinguisher in the other!

7. )(arg0n

)(arg0n Member

amen brother feel the same way here. Actually been thinking of having a purge here soon myself. Normally keep it pretty tight too so its hard to figure out what to let go of.

8. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

too many of us let go of things in the past and just end up re-buying it all. I know I've done that myself - so glad for the things I never let go of though. :thumbup:

9. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Lots of effort spent into that. I wish I could re-live 1993-1999 and collect all the good PC games and related collectables from that time. Also buy some Micro$haft shares as well.

10. simontifik

simontifik Member

Wow that's intense. I don't understand the collection impulse, couldn't stand having that much stuff in my life.

It's cool the room is set up for actually playing games though. Seems he enjoys using everything rather than sealing it all away.

That wall of Master System games brings back memories of picking a rental from the local video store back in the day!

11. roamin

roamin Member

holy crap his spent a lot of cash. im thinking he must be broke after that effort, next video i seen of his shows 3 porches in his garage....

good to see his enjoying his money, sensational setup and well done to him. amazing stuff!! looks like his only getting bigger too as his last vid shows him renovating it all again.

12. elvis

I've got a friend who lost a lot of his collection (and quite a spectacular one full of rare stuff) in the Brisbane floods some years back. It was heartbreaking to see how much irreplaceable stuff he lost.

I'm not sure what I'd do if I lost mine. I reckon I'd probably turn to emulation, and save myself the money and effort of doing it all again.

13. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Mother of god :shock:

14. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Being a collector I can understand, but not to that level. I've always tried to limit my collecting (largely I admit due to lack of space) but also because I just don't see the reason in collecting absolutely everything. For me my game collecting is limited to PC and perhaps Amiga for the odd title. But I know some collectors who have to have every single release and you see their shelves filled with rows and rows of the same looking boxes. Doesn't appeal to me at all.

I think if I lost all mine I would collect again, but it would be a seriously shrunk down version limited to just my absolutely must have games and computers I treasure. I don't think I would have the heart to do it all again as finding all my treasured items again would be a struggle in itself.

15. shane41

shane41 Member

Overindulgence for that inner child. All 1x million of them.

Look it's a great video. But I prefer the story of the member in here,
    who finds his loved machine & refurbished it. Restores to former glory.

That's the win for me :D ..... and the odd video card I get to work again.
    Not about the one, about the many & we all do our part collecting stuff

16. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I'd hate to see his Steam Pile Of Shame.

17. Pasha_Bigdog

Pasha_Bigdog Member

I think they are called completist collector or something like that. They like the challenge of actually completing a collection of something. Many sell their collections as soon as they are done, as they lose interest in them. Obviously this guy loves his games, so probably not gonna sale it any time soon.

I got a nice collection of NES games i used to play when I was a child, but that's like just a dozen of cartridges.

18. elvis

Yeah, I don't get these types. I've seen folks pay big money for games they'll never play, just so they can claim a complete collection.

I mean, I've got some utter shite in my collection, but that's usually from when I'm buying a bundle to get a specific title, and there's other crap in there that comes along for the ride. But for 90% of my collection, it's stuff I still enjoy playing today.

19. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

His latest video is wall to wall arcade cabs - whatever this guy really does for money I want in.

Honestly I'm happy to see these machines living in his rooms, even if it was just like a museum and not played I'd still rate it because preservation is almost as important as play.

20. elvis

Most of the hardcore collectors I know are all cashed-up tradies. They live in the outer suburbs or sub-regional areas on huge lots, and get their arcade rooms/sheds built for cheap through work contacts.

Makes me slap my head to think I went the university/officejob route when I could have done things this way instead. :upset: