1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

"World's strongest beer contains 67.5% alcohol"

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by MR CHILLED, Oct 30, 2013.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I'd absolutely love to try a bottle. Would be interesting to taste a beer that apparently still tastes like a beer but so potent.

"World's strongest beer contains 67.5% alcohol"

http://www.smh.com.au/executive-sty...beer-contains-675-alcohol-20131029-2wcv0.html

2. aXis

aXis Member

I've had the Brewdog "Tactical Nuclear Penguin", which is only half that strength at 32% - though at one time they did keep upping the ante with a german brewery and were in the mid 50's.

All of the super high gravity beers I've had start tasting like port/raisins. The extreme end is still delicious but not worth the price when the lower tiers (Brewdog "Tokyo" 18%) still taste very similar.

3. phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

and heres me thinking a la trappe quadrupel was strong at 14% or so

thats kind of scary to be honest....

4. Smoke87

Smoke87 Member

takes me back to drinking Soju straight from the bottle (the entire 375ml-ish bottle) in South Korea. Got a lot of funny looks. Didn't realise what I'd done until I got up to walk away...don't remember too much of that day.

Joker of a tour guide recommended it to me after I asked for something stronger than the local beer (HIT) which isn't amazing.

5. [PnP]dredd

[PnP]dredd Member

That's cool (!). Esentially freeze and filter, to increase ethanol content. More info on ice beer. Essentially a kind of distillation, except through freezing rather than boiling.

6. de_overfiend

de_overfiend Member

hmmm beer....

theres no way that shit would taste like beer

like to try some thou. anyone in for a group buy? :)

7. Sciflyer

Sciflyer Member

You cant drink these like beer, they are basically spirits. Over here they are like $100-$200 a bottle.

Bit pointless imo other than bragging rights, while some of the Brewdog range are quite nice (eg Trashy Blonde), many are just overpowered by the alcohol content as aXis said

8. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Exactly what I first thought, how could it possibly taste like genuine beer?

Guess I'll have to sample to find out :leet:

9. Thudd

Thudd Member

For the price I'd rather drink 15 or so regular-strength beers. If I wanted to sip it like whisky, I'll drink whisky.

10. yanman

yanman Member

I tried one line this in a pub when the owner was showing it off to my mate.. apparently was $250 a bottle though I can't remember if it was the same brand. I don't drink beer but this didn't taste much like it either... tasted like ass :/

11. bobfranklin

bobfranklin Member

I'm guessing it'd be quite syrupy like Sink the Bismarck was but with that smoked peated malt in there it'd certainly take on a more pleasant beery/scotch flavor.

Yeah they got up to the "end of all history" which was 55% (then beaten by a few % then topped again by brewmeister).

La Trappe Quad is 10%

That'd be Brewdog's Sink the Bismarck at that price I'd say (it's way more common than the others).

12. EuroSlave

EuroSlave Member

85 bucks is actually a decent price unlike some of the other high ABV beers

13. ironized

ironized Member

So what you are buying is some mildy hops flavoured ethanol?
    May as well just add straight ethanol to normal beer. Not like you're going to ruin the taste...

14. aXis

aXis Member

Nothing mild abut it!!! Usually with fortified beers they are trying to remove water and concentrate everything that remains - as opposed to distilling spirits with takes just the ethanol and some volatiles.

15. security

security Member

freeze distillation

Like to see a Elemental analysis,
    In freeze distillation, methanol and fusel oil, can reach harmful concentrations.
    For Perry or pre applejack I can understand,\
    Stick with my stills and tap beer I think...:)

16. bobfranklin

bobfranklin Member

It shouldn't be that high as the ratio is the same still and you're talking very minute concentrations in beer to begin with.

It's not recommended to be consumed by 1 person all at once either.