worming and flea treatment

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Cabbaged, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Cabbaged

Cabbaged Member

I have 2 dogs and buying worming and flea treatment from the vet is getting expensive.

I was wondering where you guys buy your worming and flea treatment for cheap?

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I buy all that stuff online (ebay) and it's significantly cheaper than the vets. Can be around 20-40% cheaper.

3. dark_link101

dark_link101 Member

4. Melzawelza

Melzawelza Member

I get the valuheart for heartworm and working tablets made by the same people (can't remember the brand but it has the same looking packaging as the valuheart). You can get it on eBay, I think I bought a double pack of six months worth of each from one of the online vet stores- probably was vetnpetdirect. Sorry I'm on my phone so can't get links for you, but they work out very cheap

5. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

6. mmBax

mmBax Member

Does everyone buy tablets? I've been looking into spray, as I have one dog that's around 5kg and another that is closer to 20kg.

So, buying 2 lots of tablets that last around 1 month each, or buying 1 large bottle of spray that lasts 12 weeks per application. I'm just not entirely sure about cost effectiveness.

The little 5kg ball of fluff suffers the most anyway. More hair, more hiding places.

7. Melzawelza

Melzawelza Member

When you say spray what particular product do you mean? Most of the sprays I know of are fairly useless and only really an added protection.

I've heard really , really good things about comforts for real flea problems. Might be worth looking into. It's a tablet.

8. mmBax

mmBax Member

9. Mad Mike

Mad Mike Member

Just put garlic in the dogs food, and it will keep the flees away, super cheap too.

10. Melzawelza

Melzawelza Member

It's worthy shot I guess, but I haven't heard good things about he apray's efficacy on its own.

11. millhouse

millhouse Chief Tiger Dentist

No.
    By super cheap you might mean super ineffective ie: it does nothing.

Comfortis is excellent. Continuing to see great results with it.

The most important thing is to use whatever product you are continuously, don't break over winter.

12. jajjj

jajjj Member

I thought garlic was bad for dogs. like a toxin.

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

http://www.missouriscenicrivers.com/baddogfoods.html

Under section Onions:

14. mmBax

mmBax Member

Large amounts, like every day with their dinner?

I've usually always added garlic to food that I've made up for mine.

Then again my dogs have always eaten small amounts of onions in leftovers, and macadamia nuts etc and they've never had a problem.

15. Mad Mike

Mad Mike Member

Interesting. I gave my dog garlic for 7 years and he never had flees, not once. An interesting coincidence.

16. Deltoid

Deltoid Member

My parents never gave their dog garlic and it never got fleas. Another coincidence? They didn't use flea treatments either. I think they were just lucky.

For my two dogs I use Advantix for fleas and Intercepter for Heartworm.

I buy from http://www.petproductsontheweb.com.au/ they are the cheapest I've found and even though their site looks heaps dodgy they've never failed to deliver. Been using them for the past year.

Can anyone suggest a cheaper option which works just as well as the Advantix / Intercepter combination?

I asked my vet about valuheart and she said while it is probably fine she doesn't recommend it (she doesn't recommend against it either). She said the only reason was that she places more trust in the bigger brands attempting to protect their reputation if anything ever goes wrong. She said they once had a dog with liver failure which they suspected was related to a bad batch of tablets. The company completely covered the cost of the dog's recovery and ensured that any safety concerns relating to the batch was checked (turned out it wasn't the tablets in the end but the company still paid for it all).

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012