Worth upgrading from 780 3GB to 1060 6GB?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by The One Demon, Dec 25, 2017.

1. The One Demon

The One Demon Member

So at the moment I have a 2700K @4.7GHz for that factor in limiting performance (planning to upgrade whole system next year prob a few months after Volta releases, whenever that is)... I also have a GTX 780 3GB at the moment so thinking of upgrading to a 1060 6GB, but not too sure if it's really worth it for the cost.

I know the VRAM will make a pretty big difference, but just not really sure if it's worth it and how much of a bottleneck my CPU will be.

I know a 1070 would be worth the upgrade for sure, but my CPU would be a pretty big bottleneck right? Cheers!

2. ChickenSausage

ChickenSausage Member

A 1060 is roughly equal to a 980 but with more VRAM, it's an upgrade that you would definitely notice. A 2700k won't bottleneck a 1070 much if at all.

The One Demon likes this.
  3. i7Baby

i7Baby Member

For 1080p, 3GB should be fine.

4. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Stick with 6gb ram, that way you can keep the card for until 2700k becomes the bottleneck.

A 3gb card will likely run into vram limits before cpu limitations with newer aaa games.

Especially if you upgrade your monitor.

5. OP
    OP
    The One Demon

The One Demon Member

Thanks for the replys! I ended up going with a Galax 1080 EXOC SNIPER.... Couldn't help myself, only $665 with the ebay 10% off (No better offer with the 20% tech with the limited sellers that offer it). I wasn't considering 3GB VRAM at ALL, I used to have a GTX 670 4GB and that was lower frames than the 780 in a heavily modded Skyrim (obviously), but you'd sometimes get stuttering issues because of the lower VRAM. Blew more than I was going to but oh well, lol :leet:.

6. everybodies

everybodies Member

good on you for not getting 1060!