Worth upgrading laptop memory?

Discussion in 'Memory' started by xc351, Nov 29, 2019.

1. xc351

xc351 Member

Well i got twin girls (12yo) and bought each of them a laptop each however it has 8gb of ram the lappy is rather good rst of the specs is it worth buying a cheap 16gb kit (2x8gb) swap one stick from one lappy to the other so each would have 16gb, Kids arn't massive gamers and this is mainly so they can do there home work (we have a wifi printer) I expect it to last all way through there high school years, possibility into uni (depending what they do)

Currently school does not require laptops ect ect for school as school as computer labs when required.

We have 32TB nas so not worried about a HDD upgrade but i beleave this will take a normal sata drive.

Lappy is a thinkpad E595 Not the smallest or thinest but ive ordered skins for them.

• AMD Ryzen 5 3500U CPU
    • 15.6" FHD IPS (1920 x 1080)
    • 256GB SSD M.2 PCIe
    • 8.0GB DDR4 SODIMM 2400MHz

2. Hater

Hater Member

wouldn't bother for office type work

3. miicah

miicah Member

I would not expect laptops used by kids to last 6+ years.

4. power

power Member

not worth it.

5. OP
    OP
    xc351

xc351 Member

kids will be kids but as its unlikey to leave the house for at least a few years, they still have cheap android tablets that look like new from years ago.

One kids even cleans my desk for me when she uses my desk even cuts up computer paper to make 6 or so book marks for every book thats open even if its clearly just some junk mail i left open. They have also never broken or even cracked there phones (went froma super cheap konka to no now a half decent nokia smart phone). Maybee its a girl thing.

But admittly 1 drop is all it takes but i accept that, kids now how to use NAS

6. Phido

Phido Member

Some Girls tend to look after things impossibly well. My 4 year old makes her bed and need everything to be in order, she obviously doesn't get it from her mum.

Still a laptop lasting 6 years with frequent use is pretty rare. The battery will die, or more likely the power adapter cable will die, mine always have where it bends down out of the laptop. Or it will just shit itself. Still getting 4 good years I think you will be laughing. Unless one of them is interested in 3d rendering or something demanding I wouldn't worry about it. 8Gb is still a fair bit of ram.

7. OP
    OP
    xc351

xc351 Member

Yea battery will prolly need replacing in 2-3 years.

CAD or some photo/video editing is what I was worried about. But

5 years is what it would need to last, but that also depends on how the technology. It market has been pretty stagnet unitil ryzen came out and the new 20xx cards. Long gone are the days of double the speed every 18 months.

But it all just depends I don't think it will be a slow heap of crud for quite some time and be suitable for normal browsing/office dutys for even longer. Once/if they start uni or need a more powerfull machine I could always upgrade them.

Mrs is also getting a upgrade to a 3600/ gtx 1660 ti/16gb ram desktop to get rid of her fx 8350, plus I've purchased 2 x 31.5" monitors one for her pc and 1 for my lappy (hp probook g650 g2) that sits on a dock 95% of its life.

So that's my Xmas shopping done.

8. Phido

Phido Member

Basic video editing is probably find on something like that, as is basic cad. If they want to complete a final major assignment in year 12 then, well you can look at if its worth upgrading or getting new.

I would say if a 3500u, if you are doing something more than 8gb worth, you need a more powerful machine. Many desktops in corperate enviroments only have 8gb.

9. z3099528

z3099528 Member

10. G-Man

G-Man Member

Wait until they complain, then see if it would fix what they are complaining about.