wot causes bad sector?

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by mugga, Mar 24, 2003.

1. mugga

mugga Member

2. Cryogenic

Cryogenic News Monkey

bad luck generally.

3. Lord Grengis

Lord Grengis Member

plus shaking the HDD whilst in use

however, i'm absolutely paranoid about such things and i get bad sectors. my mate and brother move and turn their cases whilst running and yet they don't get BS.

so i think cryogenic is right

4. hunter2k

hunter2k Member

Actually, a better answer would be: physical damage. It is the most common cause of 'bad sectors'. Remember the heads on a HDD 'flying' over the disc is much like a 747 flying a metre off the ground (or something along those lines) - very little room for deviation, and when there is, hell breaks loose. Heat may also contribute to physical damage.

Physical damage to the media aside, faulty drive logic boards (the circuit board on the underside of the drive) can display 'bad sectors'. Faulty logic boards are easily fixed though (not sure how cost effective it is these days).

Basically, don't hit or shock your hard drive with excessive force and it should, if you're lucky, survive many years of service.

5. fR33z3

fR33z3 Member

don't drop your drive.
    don't hit with a hammer
    don't open your drive
    don't move your drive while spinning (you may get dizzy and hurt yourself :D), seriously because when moving the drive in a place not parallel to the platter rotation, gyroscopic/inertial forces may cause the platters to warp enough to cause head crash.

Worth making a note here: most IDE drives are only covered by a 1yr manufacturer warranty. Most SCSI drives are covered between 3 and 5 yrs. Makes you think twice when considering the "bad luck" concept.

6. ben2001_1255

ben2001_1255 Member

don't hit with a hammer

EDIT: Always hit with hammer:D

7. WindMinstrel

WindMinstrel Member

The head is the equivelent of a 747 flying 1/32nd of an inch off the ground.