Would anyone be willing to impress some school children? See inside for info.

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Digital Art' started by sammy_b0i, Jun 8, 2013.

1. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Hi OCAU design forum goers.

I'm just about finished my last prac placement as a primary school teacher. In the class I've been in for five weeks now, the large majority of the class is boys (21 vs 5 girls). We've been doing some lessons on robots (year 5/6 class) and groups have come up with some parts of an imaginary class robot. There's a few different bits (arms, head, torso part, etc) that have been drawn in lead pencil, and I was wondering if anyone would have a short bit of time to make them look cool?

I don't have any Photoshop or digital design experience, but I think it would be an amazing thing for the students to see the parts represented, looking really cool, and assembled as a whole robot. It doesn't have to be anything amazing, but if anyone here would be willing to help out, I'll scan in and post the little drawings they have worked on.

Potential thanks in advance.

2. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

Hey Sammy, this sounds pretty interesting. Do have have pictures of the parts drawn by the students?

3. OP
    OP
    sammy_b0i

I'm more than happy to scan them in if someone is interested in having a play around with them. I'll get on it now.

Thanks for replying :thumbup::thumbup:

4. OP
    OP
    sammy_b0i

5. pugsley

pugsley Member

I cant help but just want to say that's a really awesome idea. The kids would love it. :):thumbup:

6. OP
    OP
    sammy_b0i

Thanks mate, I appreciate the comment. I think they'd really enjoy seeing something they worked hard to come up with, agree on as a group and then draft and draw turned into something amazing. :thumbup:

7. OP
    OP
    sammy_b0i

I'm only there for three more days. Bump.

8. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

Like something in 3D? I'll give it a crack tomorrow night.

Am I on the right track?

[​IMG]
    I kind of ended up with a crude 'Appleseed/dinosaur rabbit' hybrid.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  9. OP
    OP
    sammy_b0i

Heh, thanks mate for helping me out. 3D would be fine. As long as they are able to see the components they designed (as linked in the imgur gallery a few posts up), it could be anything you'd like it to be.

I'd just like to be able to show them something that they all worked hard on designing come to life (so to speak).

I appreciate your effort so far :thumbup:

10. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

11. OP
    OP
    sammy_b0i

Wow! That's great mate, thank you so much for the effort! I really appreciate the time you've taken to put that together. I could never have done anything like that.

And most importantly, you've enabled me to show it to them on the last day before I leave them!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

12. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

No worries. Hopefully they like it, and if it's one little bit that helps to spark an interest in electronics/robotics/mechatronics etc then it's done the job. :)

13. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

So, what did they think? :D

14. clinic

clinic Member

I'd like to echo this post. Sweet idea dude, wish I had a teacher like you when I was a hobbit

15. OP
    OP
    sammy_b0i

They loved it! :D

Most of them haven't ever seen 3D modelling like that before, so they were blown away that someone could even make something like that. You actually got a "Thank you Mr [sammy_b0i]'s friend!" jointly from everyone in the class (the way they do a "goooood moooorningggg misterrr [sammy_b0i]") :D

Thanks again man. If you're ever bored and feel like throwing some colour or textures on it, I'll make sure to email it through to their class now that I've finished with them, but the class teacher wanted a copy left so that the students can use it as the basis of narrative stories and scenarios, expositions and the like. :)

Thanks mate, I appreciate the kind words. It's for that exact reason that I chose to do something that the kids would really enjoy. When I was in school, I never had the chance to do really cool stuff, I was always thinking that if we were doing work on a topic i really was into, I would work harder, and it has shown with some of these kids for sure. :thumbup:

16. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

Awesome. I hope it inspires at least a few to the dark side of 3D or electronics. :D

I'll have to finish the legs off so it can stand. I can do basic colours in the software I use, but photoreal stuff will need me to install another bit of software (and I'm a bit out of practice)...

17. Mr_LeE

Mr_LeE Member

Sick stuff guys. Great stuff to the guy that modeled it.

Id love to help as well but im only a poor digital designer that makes websites.

Your a great teacher too for doing this. Awe I miss school.