would retro hardware ever be worth much?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by lazyboy1984, Sep 5, 2013.

1. lazyboy1984

lazyboy1984 Member

I've got a collection of oldish hardware from P1s up to P4s.

Mainly CPUs: P1 100, 200, P2 300, 400, P3 500, 600... well you get the idea. A few mainboards, gfx, soundcards etc which all work.

Would stuff like this ever be worth anything? Doesn't take up much space but I lost the passion I once had for computers and am thinking about getting rid of the collection just to declutter. Maybe because it's spring and I feel like cleaning up :Paranoid:

2. flain

flain Member

If it still works yes, but it all comes down to how many are out there and how hard they are to get. Most things will take a very long time to exceed their original purchase value.

Retro stuff that sells for the most is generally really really rare with very little units originally produced.

3. stano

stano Member

From a collector of old pc hardware...it rarely appreciates in value.
    If you have a rare piece of hardware like a 3dfx vodoo5 6000 video card yes they have appreciated as have other 3dfx stuff in the last couple of years as nostalgia takes hold for the early 3d days. But cpus and run of the mill motherboards might get you 20 dollars (if your lucky) on ebay.

4. ipex

ipex Member

it'll take about 100 years for them to be worthy anything other then a keyring

5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

x86 hardware - no, never worth much, because it's so popular.

Things that grow in value are typically rare / hard to find. Non-Intel/x86 hardware from the 80s and 90s will always be orders of magnitude more valuable.

6. OP
    OP
    lazyboy1984

lazyboy1984 Member

well guess that answers it. spose i'll dump the lot on ebay as individual items and get rid of them all.

7. badmofo

badmofo Member

486's are starting to go up in price and can fetch hundreds of dollars, but they are quite rare. Starting with Socket 7 - when the internet really started to kick in - computers were everywhere, and that era hardware is still easy to find for cheap.

8. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

Old cpus are worth money to those who collect them. The original C4004 can go for up to 2.5k. With the current high gold price, many old cpus are being scrapped for their gold content, particularly those with the gold top (Cyrix, IBM and early Pentium). The rarer versions of these (which are usually identified by a single digit in the part number being different) can go for many times the price of the more common version. If you find a working Nexgen based computer, you'll have collectors lining up to bid on it!