1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you be happy with this?

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by dche5390, Mar 9, 2015.

1. ipex

ipex Member

hey don't knock it , you are the one that asked "
    if you don't want the criticism don't ask for it

2. Pixley

Pixley Member

I think the emotion and expression that has been captured is lovely. As much as I don't really like labelling photography styles and approaches - I just don't think it is either lifestyle photography or quite studio with enough "pop" as the photos appear quite flat to me. I think the fee is fine as long as it includes a couple of the best photos with additional photos to purchase. Just wondering if a more natural setting wouldn't give the photos more interest and a mix of slightly higher key etc.

3. broccoli

broccoli Member

That's the cruncher. The fewer prints you get, the more the photo needs to be "something special".

To be honest, I don't understand why private individuals pricing is done that way. For shots of an event, or a celebrity or something that many are interested in, then each shot or print has value and any newspaper/news outlet should pay for it/its use. But for garden variety people, once the shots are taken, they (and friends/family) are the only ones who are interested. As long as there isn't a lot of post-processing extra work, isn't the time spent on the session? To me, it seems like the prints are held to ransom or something. Maybe I don't understand what's involved well enough. In the olden days, there was an expense and time/effort in turning a negative into a print, for digital photos, handing over a usb of files doesn't involve any extra work/time/effort, does it?

If I got all of the photos/or many, I'd care less about how worthy of exhibition each is individually.

4. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

That is generally not how the business model works. The money/profits are made in the after sales, not the sitting fee.

The sitting fee is just to cover the initial time but is rather moot, compared to the up selling of the emotionally attached products after the fact.

This differs to other things like weddings/commercial shoots because of the nature of the total time spent (both shooting and editing) that is where the majority of the money is earned, and the icing on the cake is the extra purchases such as albums & prints.

For some (like myself) if I do a family/portrait session I just handle it like an engagement session as my time/money is earned in doing the actual shoot. That is because I dont follow the normal business model for these types of things and its easier for me to just go through the motions in my regular workflow and delivery. I agree that the extra photos that are there, not delivered because they have not been bought is a waste, but that is part of how it all works.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  5. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

I agree with him. Of course the quality of the image is better, but the way the people are positioned and the setting reminds me of something you'd take at home.