Would you consider this fraudulent?

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Gonadman2, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Gonadman2

Gonadman2 Member

I'm going through a process of purchasing a single Autocad 2013 license for the company I work for. I contacted an Autodesk reseller that we met at a conference recently for a price. Before I received the quote from the reseller I was sent an email from Autodesk as below:
    So naturally I click the link to be sent to a page that contains the following:

*Removed resellers name.

So I accept the above, and the reseller emails me the quote. Now the quote comes back at retail price, and as such I start looking elsewhere for a better deal. I find another reseller that comes back $600 cheaper, so I apply to purchase from them. Now I am told that reseller 1 has locked out any other reseller from selling this product (and related products) to us and that if we wanted to purchase it must be through them.

As far as I am aware I have not entered into an agreement anywhere (only requesting a quote) and that it was not stated anywhere that I would be locked only to this reseller.

I find this extremely anti competitive behavior, who would I report it to? I have left a message with Autodesk and am awaiting their call.

2. NSanity

NSanity Member

is it just Autocad? Or is it Factory Design Suite or something?

If its just Autocad and you don't need Reseller support - just grey import a boxed copy it for 1/3rd the price. Fuck Australian retailers. Fuck Autodesk and their price gouging.

The suites need to be purchased from specific resellers (your typical software disties can't actually get them to sell you), because Autodesk believes that there is no possible way you could operate their software without a subscription and reseller support.

3. OP
    OP
    Gonadman2

Gonadman2 Member

Yes, its just vanilla Autocad 2013. We have a 3rd party software that requires it for the drawing component. It's quite exxy considering the intended use.

Do you know of any reputable stores for grey importing? Is that allowed to be discussed?

4. Gumby

Gumby Member

If the ACCC recommend people do it I don't see it being in violation of OCAU rules!

5. Iceman

Iceman Member

Autodesk ACE.

http://autodeskdoesnotwantyoutoknowthis.blogspot.com.au/

Only your 'preferred' vendor is able (doesn't mean they will) to give you the lowest price as only the "preferred" vendor can get the ACE discount.

If you have an option to grey import and avoid this garbage - take it.

6. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

it's not illegal so go for it.

7. OP
    OP
    Gonadman2

Gonadman2 Member

Can anyone suggest a reputable store that we could purchase from that is 1/3 price of Australian stores?

Newegg $4k
    Amazon $4k

I didn't hear back from Autodesk.

8. c3rb3rus

c3rb3rus Member

So what would AutoDesk do if you grey import and they were to find out?

Just as we have had a major bun fight with a reseller here over their "Australian" Pricing!! And personally think it is a major scam and would love to dump there arses and grey import. We would save roughly $40 to $50K annually by doing this.

9. tin

tin Member

Nothing. We have no laws against grey imports in Australia - in fact, we actually have one allowing it.

10. OP
    OP
    Gonadman2

Gonadman2 Member

I guess there is nothing they can do. Mind you, trying to find an online store that ships to Australia is proving difficult - I haven't found one yet.

11. bondy_112

bondy_112 Member

Chances are the deal registration for reseller 1 will expire after a given length of time if you don't purchase. In which case you would be free to buy through reseller 2.

12. ECHO

ECHO Member

It's called opportunity locking. Dell do it as well sometimes. However the sneaky way around it is just buying it under a different name then transferring the hardware.

Wonder if you can do that with Autodesk ... probably not.

13. gobbledegook

gobbledegook Member

I think you'll find that Autodesk get more than the Lions share of your $. Resellers don't get much margin to play with. From where I worked it was single digit % mark ups with very rare exceptions.

Autodesk are also smart and have priced their subscriptions to "encourage" you to buy locally and then an annual subscription to stay up to date. The upgrades cost so much that you really have to go for the subscription addon. I don't believe this works on imported copies.

I haven't worked in software for a few years, but particularly with Autodesk, customers buying overseas copies (if you could) would often end up getting burnt down the track with upgrades/subscriptions, etc.

It sucks all round because the customer feels ripped off and the reseller is dirty because retail in the US is cheaper than wholesale in Australia. At least prices are getting closer over time...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  14. Zedd02

Zedd02 Member

15. OP
    OP
    Gonadman2

Gonadman2 Member

It definitely has to be the full version. Seems Autodesk have done a good job locking this down. I have not be able to find a retailer.

16. OP
    OP
    Gonadman2

Gonadman2 Member

17. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

Register a second business name, change the address slightly, and phone number. Bingo bango, you can buy from whoever you like.

18. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I'm with this guy. Autodesk are right up there with some of the worst (Adobe, et al) for this kind of nonsense.

You are not only within your rights, but doing your own business a favour to minimise the price you pay for their products by any legal means available to you.

19. Piroteknik

Piroteknik Member

I have had enough of dealing with autodesk over the years - my dad uses Autocad, its a great program, the downside being autodesk themselves. The yearly subscription fees are horrendous, the licencing is a pain, and they take a few days to respond, which didnt help (Compatibility issues with Nvidia/Intel combined graphics on a new laptop lead to multiple re installs, and eventually returning it to get a different model - we had to wait days for a new activation code each time.)

Now, i have just installed it on his laptop as the first software after windows, and taken an image of the Drive with Acronis. Then i took one with all apps installe,d and we take incremental ones (While also backing up his drawings daily) in case we need to recover windows.

20. Lukenet

Lukenet Member

I HATE Autodesk!

I need a few new licences of AutoCAD as we are still on 2010. I am not going to pay them for such bug ridden, half baked software again. The industry I am in demands I have to use this crap, but I can't bring myself to pay for it again.

I really want an alternative that will work for us..

Who would have thought this would be such a mission? I can't believe it is so hard to get an alternative solution when this company its treating its customers with such contempt?

I can't believe Autodesk weren't called in front of parliamentary inquiry into Australian software pricing, they would have to be the No.1 offender! They make Adobe look like angles by comparison. That is sure saying something..