1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

WOW WoW Mists of Pandaria Pandathread

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by Kaji, Sep 18, 2012.

1. afcca

afcca Member

Leveling now is an absolute joke, I did 60 in just over 12 hours played last week which was all from dungeon spam and almost no questing. Even the current content has leveling nerfed in it. When MoP first hit you HAD to do every zone just to hit cap otherwise you'd be farming, which you aren't supposed to do anymore.

2. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

My first MMORPG was Ultima Online. (top player on 3 public shards with > 400 players during peak times, Novus Opiate, Alphanine, and Zulu), and ran my own server for 2 years. That's where I taught myself programming.

Played pretty much every mmorpg to date, most of which I get bored of after a week or so. Though a few of them I hacked.

i.e MU Online, I wrote my own hack to send hit-attack packets, so while all the public ones were blocked and people were banned, I managed to get another year out of mine (tweeks now-n-then) so I was reborned on my character 4 times.

Another game I forget the name, but you had these egg things and had like these summoned pets that you used. You could have shitloads of paid-special items for leveling up your pets and such. It used an old version of paypal so I used to use tamper-data in firefox to submit $1 requests, for $20 worth of in-game credit, did that like 40 times, maxed my character out and quit cos it was too easy. I ruined that for myself...

In terms of games I like...

Pretty much every RPG on SNES, most on Genesis.

UO, EQ, Lineage (1, before they ruined it), Age of Empires 2, Counter Strike, Dota2.

Just trying to find an MMORPG to play. Figured with all the expansions on WoW I would play it again to play the new stuff, but I just don't remember it been this bad.

My friend said to all the graphics down to high or medium rather than ultra and that should fix it. Will try when I get home from work.

3. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

I was told (from friends who play) leveling past 40 now is reallllllly slow. So I guess I'll see soon enough. I haven't got to any new content yet. Quite a few of the quests have changed, and all of the bugged quests that I couldn't complete, now work.

4. r8response

r8response Member

No you didn't.

I never stepped into Townlong or the Dread Wastes until well after 90

5. raX

raX Member

This was because rested XP wasn't properly wiped from some people.

One of my toons had rested past 90, my main had zero rested...

6. afcca

afcca Member

Without rested it's still pretty hard, but I leveled a monk (without RaF) as soon as MoP hit and I didn't hit 90 until 3/4 through Dread Wastes having done every quest before that save for some in Towlong.

7. leroyxx

leroyxx Member

Cheap wow atm, 1-85 for $4.99 USD and pandaria for $9.99 USD...

Might be a good time to get that alt account or a RAF account started :)

8. Ap0c

Ap0c Member

I did the RAF a month ago and leveled a Shaman to 90 in just under 2 days played. So insanely quick with 300%xp and heirlooms

9. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Yeah, leveling is insanely fast :/ I'm not even trying hard and I'm level 44 after 5 days. Played maybe 6 hours total over the weekend. Dungeon runs level up pretty quickly too.

10. miicah

miicah Member

Also he called the Hunter class an archer. 100% played vanilla

11. phonik

phonik Member

got to agree 1 month played and level 60 and $750 for his account, I was offered $1500 for my Vanilla CE with t2 geared lock and rouge just before BC came out

and wasn't the world record for 4days played by Joanna(spelling) the hunter, and he did it all on a newly opened realm from memory(Barthilas maybe?), always logged out when not moving, didn't loot etc.

I know I used his guide on map mod to level a druid in BC I think it was like 12 days played or something I was covered in epics lol

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  12. moist.au

moist.au (Banned or Deleted)

Trolling? It must be pretty terrible, for it still holds more than twenty times the sub-base EQ or EQ2 ever had. :thumbup: :rolleyes:

Not going to call you out on this because it is highly possible that this might have been the case; I remember a lot of people complaining about the grind to reach 60, and it wouldn't surprise me if people paid this much for a fresh 60 character. I didn't start looking at buying/selling accounts until well after MC/BWL time, so prices and purchase/selling motives were obviously different.

To be honest, hunters (not archers) have probably the worst animations in the game, especially if you use a gun or a crossbow. Bow is not quite as bad.

The animation and the feeling of the movement in WoW is what makes it so good compared to other MMOs. Everything ties in well, the fluidity of the movement and the camera, the way one spell leads into the next, it makes for a very tight gameplay experience. No other MMO has done this. EQ2's actual *animations* might be good (they are decent), but the way it feels when you perform certain actions pales in comparison to WoW. That is one of the main reasons WoW beats the pants off any other MMO. GW2's animations were also good, but it always gave you this sense of floating in the world. It felt awkward to play in a sense.

I think this also attributes to why WoW has been successful. The good old KISS philosophy springs to mind. It has the classic Blizzard style of graphics. The engine has improved ten-fold over the years. The landscapes are still some of the most interesting in any game of its genre. I've never been as captivated by another games' setting as I have WoW's. And original EQ graphics were nowhere near as good. You might be confusing it with EQ2, which was released pretty much at the same time as WoW.

Give me a successful MMO where low level play isn't boring. I can only think of two games where I thoroughly enjoy the low levels: Tera & Guild Wars 2, the combat in Tera was always just good fun, and GW2 you managed to have all your main skills by the time level 3 came around (weapon dependent), so you were almost able to jump straight in to learning a good rotation, the problem with this is it became boring a bit later on once you had figured all the fun stuff out.

WoW's strength is and always has been end game. Whether it be raiding or PVP. I will often take 6+ months off WoW, and play a few other games both SP games or other MMOs during this time, but always find myself coming back to WoW eventually because no other game offers the same amount of content at end game, or the same gameplay/combat feeling. And I only play Arenas while running around the world picking fights with the enemy while I wait in queue. Such a tiny slice of the end game pie, and I thoroughly enjoy it every time I log on. :thumbup:

13. maxwolfie

maxwolfie Member

Would someone mind sending me a Scroll of Resurrection? goclifford (at) gmail (dot) com

14. eddiemess

eddiemess Member

Sent mate.

15. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Both UO and EQ/EQ2 didn't have a pre-existing fan-base when they started, but are both still making money after 15 years...

I missed out on Beta so bought the game when it came out (well pre-ordered) and subscribed, but was so utterly bored I didn't play beyond the free month. After maxing my level, and having a few really good items, I said I wanted to get rid of my account in an NZ/AUS DC++ Chat room with like 4k people in it at the time. Got a whole bunch of private messages and even though there were higher offers, I took the highest NZ offer which was around $780, but I paid the expensive $30 shipping of the game.

It's weird, I always get random damage or sounds but no animation. Some of the dungeon animation is pretty cool though. Wish they put that effort into the whole experience and not a 5 minute dungeon run.

UO / EQ Animation wasn't good, the graphics are MASSIVELY outdated, but the gameplay was more fun.

Define successful? I mean if I named Darkfall or Ultima Online you would claim they are not successful because their userbase is dwarfed by WoW. I define successful as any that makes money, which both do.

Darkfalls' issue for me was latency, just can't play from AUS/Singapore.

UO I probably spent more time playing than any game I've ever played to date. It's not level based so from the moment you start playing you're not restricted in any way. You're not forced into combat when you want to be a crafter like you are in WoW. And you're not forced into taking up a craft skill like you are in WoW.

You're not limited to area's and zones because theres no levels. You're not left behind because you didn't play for 10 days while you're friends are 20 levels ahead of you. PVP actually takes skill. You're not bound to any particular skillset/path. You're not forced into factions.

There's no hand holding, you lose your stuff when you die so you actually have to be careful. You don't have limited spaces to put items cos stuff is based on weight, not on slots. (slots... such a cheap way of making bags)

OMG!!!!

I just found out Richard "Lord British" Garriott, the guy who defined the MMORPG Genre is creating a new MMO!

16. moist.au

moist.au (Banned or Deleted)

Yeah, I think that is pretty common with hunters. When you have a bunch of haste, your autoshots are faster, but the sound sometimes doesn't seem to line up with the shots. Like I said, try the bow, for me historically it always seems to be better.

We'll just have to disagree here, horses for courses etc. - I personally find that my gameplay "fun" comes from tightness of movement, combat fluidity and responsiveness, and I really don't think anything else compares to WoW in the MMO genre for this. In EQ I felt like my character was so rigid, and key presses just didn't have the same in-game response as they do in WoW. Same with UO. From your posts I would assume that your gameplay fun comes from things like crafting depth, gathering, full immersion, so to speak.

Yep I'd say they're relatively successful. But my point was, most games with a leveling system are fairly boring in the lower levels. You have an extremely limited skill-set. For example, in WoW at level 20 on a Mage you have something like 3-4 skills you might use regularly. Currently at level 90 when you take into account the macros required for reasonably high level arena play, you're looking at 40+. Once you get to know the system, it's never boring - I am never standing there wondering what to cast next, every global cooldown is taken up by something whether it be offensive, defensive, or crowd control.

Yep, I would say that's a fundamental flaw of most MMOs though unfortunately. UO was different.

Comparing apples and oranges in regards to WoW PVP vs UO PVP. Get into some higher end 3v3 as a relatively new player in WoW and tell me it is easy. You not only need to learn your class to the teeth, but all 11 classes offensive and defensive abilities, how to counter them, how to counter them when teamed with other classes that might benefit them, and also the different specs and talents within each class. It is the reason WoW failed as an e-sport - no one knows what the fuck is happening when say, compared to league of legends. Personally for me, 3v3 takes a lot more game knowledge and a lot more quick thinking. It is severely underestimated as a PVP game.

That's cool, but a totally different philosophy. I personally would hate to play a game like that in this day and age; with the amount of time we get on average as we get older to put into gaming, character insurance is good.

You mean the guy who helped create Tabula Rasa? The game that lasted two years before being shut down? :p

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  17. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

NCSoft butchered that game, and AFAIK they screwed him over. Regardless it was never going to be a hit (in my opinion) when I first heard about it. I played for a week and ditched it.

Shroud of the Avatar looks pretty damn awesome. I hope it pans out. But its massively inspired by UO and the Community.

I think this only because you're used to depending on items. In WoW, unless you have good items you're useless. I mean some of those items give 100's of points in strength / agility etc. Without those, you're useless. The reason UO worked was because while having items helped, it wasn't be-all-end-all. Yes some items were better than others, crafting an exceptional bow gave slightly higher damage than a normal bow. But you could still go in with a normal bow and kill.

This meant if you lost your stuff, you could get more, weather you looted it, stole it, or bought it. Losing stuff was risky but not painful.

In WoW, yeah it just flat out wouldn't work. Because spending 6 weeks running dungeons to loot a particular item just to lose it, would make you throw in the towel.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  18. nathanblogs

nathanblogs Member

depending on class that average play time to hit 60 in vanilla was 13 ( hunters ) - 25 days ( druids / warlocks )

19. Shawry

Shawry Member

The first thing I notice with any new MMO I try...Nothing since 2004 has had the same "zip" as WoW for character movement and reaction to input.
    Certainly not saying I've played everything but still WoW just feels the smoothest.

PvP I agree too. Yes it has many major downfalls. But it is also underestimated.

Biggest mistake WoW made was inflation of item levels, thus creating as Elyzion mentioned, the dependence on item to feel powerful. AND the ability to skip ahead at times making so much content worthless.
    Why, for example, each tier in MoP have to jump up 20-30 iLvl? It was a mess since tBC when they kept adding new raids and Sunwell gear was just a massive inflation over Kharazan loot.

20. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

It's now hit the point where blizzard is having to do an item squish in the next expansion. Check out the last picture for details, with their parabolic growth to stats on items it had to happen, otherwise the next expansion would have had player's health at equivalents of MOP raid bosses.