1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

wow. optus going to the front! unlimited plans

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by muck, Jul 18, 2008.

1. muck

muck Member

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  2. ob1

ob1 Member

the original "first on three" plan was similar at first - unlimited calls and text with payment capped at $99. It was subject to an AUP however and when three realised how much people could actually use their phone, they brought in the idea of a "cap" plan where the $99 bought you some dollar value worth of calls.

This optus plan is also subject to Optus' Fair Go Policy...i wonder if they will enforce it?

3. sab988

sab988 New Member

so fair use is
    2000 minutes per month
    500 text per month
    500 MMS per month

4. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

It fails for International Useage :(

50c for international txting? On prepay i pay 35c...

75% of my txting and calls are over seas to my family and friends sinced i moved to Australia...

5. VippiN

VippiN Member

Fair Go policy generally outlines can not be used for business purposes, etc

6. OP
    OP
    muck

muck Member

im sure fair use will still be more sufficient than a $150 capped plan would be.

2gb of data is pretty good also.

7. anthony256

anthony256 Member

WTF.
    They release these plans a few weeks after the iPhone comes out and fuck over all the people who signed onto similar priced plans with less data/not unlimited calls.

8. quirdan

quirdan Member

Well it's a good start but it's still "Australian Unlimited***" (conditions apply!)

These should be iPhone plans. Perhaps when the company was developing iPhone prices, they looked to AT&T/O2 and other 'real' networks and realised such plans are feasible. The reason for not making them iPhone plans is probably due to market research indicating that they can sell the current shoddy plans and still not keep up with demand.

The Fair Use policy makes things pretty lame, but it's a start.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  9. sab988

sab988 New Member

you can still use mynetfone access number to call overseas for cheap :thumbup:

10. quirdan

quirdan Member

I was referring to the fact that anything in Australia labelled 'unlimited' is simply not unlimited. :)

They're not that bad actually. I hope the others decide to compete in this area too.

11. timochy

timochy Member

damm, if only they included 13 and 1800 numbers in it......

12. CDman

CDman Member

CAP 49

I am still happy with my CAP 49. I've had it for about 6 years. I'd be a heavy user if I sign up for that plan. I am not getting an iphone as it does not have a good camera. I am happy with my N95 8GB.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  13. B.thomson

B.thomson Member

Am I the only one who finds the idea of spending more than $50 on a mobile phone bill crazy?

Why not argue that you should get the same plans for $50?

They currently offer home broadband accounts for $30 a month with 3 gigs of data? You are still using a SIM, you can use it in your laptop anywhere you could use your mobile phone.

Yet people still go on about these new mobile plans and somehow see them as good value when they are an absolute rip off. The telecommunications companies will keep upping the prices for as long as there are idiots willing to pay for them.

Virgon is offering 1gb of data for $15, and they are the budget arm of Optus. Why the hell can't Optus offer a similar deal?

Call's are soon going to be a thing of the past with VoIP taking off so much. It won't be long before data will be the only variable you need to worry about. The technology is all data anyway, every SMS and call etc is just data already. Yet they still manage to talk people into paying for some mythical minutes when if they just gave you X gigs of data to use as you wish, SMS's, Calls, Emails, Internet it would make much more sense.

14. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Which isn't that much more than 3's (for example) $129 cap anyway (plus you get the 3 to 3 bonus on that one). The only real "new" thing is the 2G of data.

"Unlimited"? The ACCC should be on this for deceptive advertising.

$350 per GB excess usage on the data side of things too...

15. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Iron Photographer

the more i have looked into these timeless plans, the more average they appear.

i compared the optus 99 timeless plan to 3's new 99 cap. the differences were interesting. keep in mind the timeless 99 plan has a compulsory $14.95 for the internet pack, so your min each month is $113.95

if you work it out, 3's 99 cap gives you 3676 minutes of calls per month, both on and off network. (worked out on avg 2 min call)
    the optus fairgo policy could possibly limit your usage to 2000 minutes of calls (and 500 texts for that matter)

in addition to that, the plan doesnt include voicemail, 13/1300/1800 numbers, and no international calls and sms at all.

seems a bit crap to me, especially given that the $14.95 for data is compulsory.

so basically, it just seems like another cap plan with more exclusions. meh.

16. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

100% agree. Optus should fix their network before releasing any more bullshit plans.

17. quirdan

quirdan Member

I also doubted these plans early on before the Optus policy docs were updated (just look on the first page). You should probably read the FairGo Policy and see how it applies to Timeless plans now. It turns out the Timeless plans do not have a hard limit figure for calls or SMS. The Optus policy documents state the following:

No one else offers plans like it apart from Telstra which come close with flat rate (ranging from 0 - 55c) calls to national landlines and Telstra mobiles. An excellent start and hopefully the other providers are game enough to compete (maybe Three will have a second go and not fail miserably this time).

Though, the other plans do work better for some people, such as myself. I don't talk enough on the phone to warrant an unlimited plan, so I settled for the new $79 'cap' which includes $550 of calls (enough), 700MB of data and unlimited text (unlimited in the same sense as Timeless plans). International text and 13/18 numbers are covered with this 'cap'

My point is, the Timeless plans are completely unlimited for personal use. 'yes' Time et al always had a hard limit (such as the 2000 minutes you referred to) that they could fall back on, and I do know of a case where they did this.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  18. quirdan

quirdan Member

And here they go to the front AGAIN.

Timeless plans revised to include unlimited MMS and unlimited voice calls.

But wait there's more unlimited goodness for all other plans.

On all consumer plans (so that includes the cap plans $19 to $79 and 'yes' plans $9 to $149), Optus now offer the following bolt-on options, available now.

• Optus2Optus Unlimited SMS/MMS $5.00/month
    • AnyOne 500 SMS/MMS Pack $10.00/month
    • AnyOne Unlimited SMS/MMS/IM $15.00/month

Unlimited SMS/MMS for only $15 per month... unbelievably good value. If you can get coverage, I don't know why you'd bother with anyone else.

Revised iPhone plans, introduced unlimited calling/sms plans, introduced unlimited text on $79 cap, revised Turbo cap prepaid plans, introduced Data Blaster pre-paid plans, all within a fortnight. A lot of Australian firsts right there.

What else have they got instore?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  19. spludgey

spludgey Member

Why would anyone go on the $119 plan though? It's worse than the $114 plan.

20. BlackTigerTech

BlackTigerTech (Banned or Deleted)

Virgin is definitely not a budget brand dude. They resell under the Optus network yes, but they do offer better value overall than Optus themselves surprisingly:lol:. The Iphone plans are really good, especially the $100/5Gb data one with $520 worth of calls...excellent value. And Virgin is probably the only place you can actually get an Iphone atm as they get weekly preferred supply atm...but shhh!:p

But imho it is a still a big shame we are restricted in a big way regarding data here in OZ. Having had a quick browse over to our neighbours across the pond, they have definitely the data allowances for such a device that relies on basically being feed data constantly to operate to it's full extent.:rolleyes:

I'd love to get one, but it's definitely too pricey both for the hardware and plans atm for my likings...maybe when the craze dies down and realistic prices start appearing with decent data allowances like 10-12GB!:lol: