WOW,SC2 Crossfire

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by AaronFord4256, Dec 19, 2010.

1. AaronFord4256

AaronFord4256 Member

Hey
    I have 2 HD 6870s in crossfire, And i am struggling to reach 60fps in WOW on ultra settings. I have looked all through google only to find conflicting answers as to why this is.

- WOW is 60% CPU - 40% GPU
    - It is mostly your net connection
    - WOW dosent support Crossfire
    - WOW dosent work reall well with ati cards
    - its the shadows turns shadows off
    - turn vertical sync off

Any clarifiaction on this would be good, is it just my cards dont have enough balls ??
    Thanks

Running
    2 x 6870HD Crossfire
    8gb GSKILL
    60GB SSD GSKILL
    AMD 1090t
    ASUS CROSSFIRE EXTREME IV
    850W COOLMASTER PSU

2. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

if your net is shit, you drop frames.
    if your network hardware and routing is shit, you drop frames.
    if your cpu is shit, you drop frames.
    you probably wont reach 60fps with vsync on and an lcd monitor.

3. OP
    OP
    AaronFord4256

AaronFord4256 Member

Thanks for the reply mate. Proabaly is the net connection due to the fact live in aus and servers are in the us.

4. knowskillz

knowskillz Member

I totally agree with the shadows part.. drop it down to high or medium

5. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

This is correct.

6. C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  7. roweysvn

roweysvn Member

8. Toliandar

Toliandar Member

WoW supported my 4870x2 (on 10.5a) just fine. Might be different rules, but essentially it's just crossfire in one slot.

Same with SC2.

9. brendohall

brendohall Member

Wow does work with crossfire!

I'm running 2 6850's at the moment, they run fine IF you enable dx11 mode.

I get about ~30% under the performance of a single 6850 in dx9/10 mode but as soon as I enable dx11 my framerates go way above a single 6850 :D

To enable dx11 mode:

1)Go to your wow directory
    2) Open the WTF folder
    3) Open the "Config.wtf" with notepad
    4) add the line SET gxApi "d3d11" (with quotes, it can go anywhere in the file, stick it at the top so it is easy to find, it might get removed after a patch so every time you patch make sure it is still there!)

Also as the tom's hardware writeup said intel cpu's are better in wow than amd ones. However IMO there isn't as big a gap as what is stated in the article! I'm thinking that the writer over at tom's doesnt know about the need to overclock the cpu-nb on amd chips.

I just went from an 1055t to an i7 950 and noticed a bit of an increase in fps, but nowhere near what was stated in the article.

I did a bit of testing on the amd setup and found that I got significant improvements by overclocking the cpu-nb to around 2.8-3.0ghz. There is a decent writeup about it here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3877/asrock-890fx-deluxe-full-review-and-an-investigation-of-thuban-performance-scaling/7

It seems that overclocking the cpu-nb gives a similar performance improvement to overclocking the cpu itself! Seems it might be due to the stock 2ghz cpu-nb not providing enough bandwidth to fully utilise the memory bandwidth of fast ddr3.

To check what your cpu-nb is currently at go into the memory tab of cpu-z and it is listed on the right hand side below the single/dual channel memory section. Get it above 2.6 and you will see an improvement. To get it to 3ghz you will probably need to give a bit more voltage to the cpu-nb (usually stated as cpu northbridge voltage or something along those lines) about 1.25 -1.3v from memory :)

Give the above a shot and see how you go!

10. R1v3R

R1v3R Member

Just an added perhaps theory to this comment.

I am running 2 5970's and when putting WoW in Windowed (Full screen) mode i run on ultra at about 80-90fps (1x AA as i can't tell difference) @ 1920x1200.

When putting it in regular plain Full screen mode in run the game at around 120-140fps, seems to me that crossfire doesn't activate (or rather like) being run in Windowed mode.

just my 2c.

11. C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

No it doesn't, end of story.

No it doesn't, DX11 gives around 30% boost to single cards that support DX11! So the increase in performance is simply the boost DX11 is giving to your single card.

Pretty sure that if you run any game in Window mode it automatically disables crossfire. Not to mention Wow does not support Xfire, am I repeating myself?

C-BuZz

12. brendohall

brendohall Member

Nope, i tried both single and multi card in dx11 mode and 2 cards was definitely faster, raised my average frame rate up from ~60 to ~80fps, whereas in dx10 the frame rate went down with 2 cards in (almost to unplayable frame rates). :thumbup:

I'll try it again when i get home just to make sure, the improvement with 2 cards isn't huge, definitely not the sort of scaling you get in other games, not worth the price of the second card. But (at least for me) it was there.

13. brendohall

brendohall Member

Found some reviews that show what i'm talking about:

Here is a review of the 580 which shows the 5970 getting great fps when WoW is in dx11 mode, definitely getting a decent increase in performance over a 5870:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_580/20.html

Here is a review from the same site showing abysmal crossfire performance on oct the 21st:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ATI/Radeon_HD_6850_CrossFire/18.html

Note that in the second review they do not state if they are running dx11 or dx10, and notice that both the 5970 and crossfire 6850's are getting worse frames than a non crossfire solution. And much worse frames than in the newer gtx580 review.

So scaling seems to be working in dx11 as of Nov the 9th :thumbup:

This is exactly what I am seeing at home with my 2 6850's in dx11

14. C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

I'd like to see MSI afterburner screeshot after running around a busy area with Xfire enabled.

I've seen that report before & I think that it's very inconclusive with not enough info. How exactly did he go about benching Wow & generating those FPS reports?

C-BuZz

15. brendohall

brendohall Member

All valid thoughts :)

It is basically impossible to do bench runs thorough populated areas like stormwind etc or even instances because there are too many variables.

To me, heavily populated areas seem to be more cpu dependant than gpu, I find that with my i7 the game is noticeably smoother in stormwind and the new lands, much less stuttering.

I'd say that dual gpu may not give you a significant increase if at all in these areas, but trying to show this quantitatively is pretty hard!

In areas that have a low population (did my tests in arathi highlands and a few other nooby areas as well as some flight paths) there is a difference, but these are the areas where you dont really need the extra fps!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  16. C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

Yes it is very difficult to benchmark Wow due to all the Vars, however we can establish wether or not Xfire/Sli is working by watching GPU usage in MSI Ab/GPUz. Doesn't necessarily have to be a densly populated area.

C-BuZz

17. brendohall

brendohall Member

18. Toliandar

Toliandar Member

If you want to bench in WoW just go to Nagrand which is most likely deserted and just hop on one of the fixed route air raider things in the centre of the zone. Still going to have a few variables but by and large it will remain the same. That zone will hit your gpu hard.

19. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

20. brendohall

brendohall Member

Wow, harsh words!

Note the blizzard guy said you will probably not see huge improvements, it's fairly consistent with what i said.

All i am saying is if you set the dx11 mode on you will at least get some improvement :thumbup:

I am seeing an improvement (about 20-30% single card dx11 to dual card dx11), and based on the afterburner chart I posted, my gpu usage shows that wow is using the second card a fair bit.

Hence why I told the OP to enable dx11 mode.