WOW WoWstalgia

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by CAPT-Irrelevant, Aug 30, 2009.

1. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

As of late, and as of following content to come, I'm feeling I'm starting to suffer from the WoW form of nostalgia.

I remember when I first started in mid 2005, Onyxia was THE thing to do, and content that shortly followed were also THE thing to do and, much like today, you could only go in groups for new content if you finished the preceeding content first.

Nower days the areas of the old classic stuff are pretty much ghost towns, and as for when WLK was released, Outland became victimised too.

From a lore-fanatic POV, I still always try to do the now-old content, but because of everyone diving in for the newer stuff, the old retro stuff is difficult to do as there's no overall collective interest in it anymore and is being put on the side as a fun thing to do at some stage if there's not much else to do.

Of those of us who have played since near the beginning, we all know we've put the hard slog in to keep up and go for new content, but I feel robbed when newer content is released again more and more, and the old stuff you once did on a regular basis is now only optional for newbies to do.

Another example is AQ. I remember when this was released and was THE challenge. A few weeks ago, my guild was doing some old retro runs and we cleared all of AQ with only a 10 man run, and we even cleared C'Thun with less than 10 people, albeit the fact we were mostly 80s. Being as I said that I'm a lore fanatic, I would naturally feel the "moment" being able to participate in an event for the first time that is big on lore, but because of it now just being something "on the side", it felt... empty.

I'm feeling a fair amount of disappointment that old stuff that's now just a side-dish but was very popular and a MUST-DO back in its day, and now the game is designed to allow people to skip it all.

With Cataclysm on its way, I wonder how it's going to change things...

2. sabretooth

sabretooth Overdue for a new title

Why should people be forced to go through all of the same stuff you had to do?

Times change.

3. raGneG

raGneG Member

I remember doing 10 UBRS runs a day trying to get the Dal'Rend swords.

I played for 4 years and quit january of this year.. the game sucks now so I don't really care anymore. Grew out of it too i guess.

But it's like saying you HAVE to listen to all a bands catalogue before you can listen to their new CD. Each to their own man.

The old schoolers will always know what you're talking about in terms of love for old content. The new schoolers just missed out.. they're prolly having their own fun and making their own memories.

But nothing can match that community feeling of early WoW. Memories indeed!

4. Glitchlol

Glitchlol Member

I enjoyed farming Mauradon for NR gear at 60.

5. Impression

Impression (Banned or Deleted)

ok, I've played wow since closed and open beta.

Back when Upper Blackrock Spire was 'end game' Then there was Onyxia and Molten Core.

Downing Ragnaros was an achievement that was an effort of 40 people all maxing out their gear also needing potions and other buffs/elixers.

Then came Blackwing lair and the first fight was an intense one where it took some guilds months to get past, imagine 100x 63 elite orcs spawning from all corners of the room gunning after your cloth ;) while your leader had to mind control a drake to destroy iirc 40 eggs and then you had to beat the drake that was mind controlled.

this was all done at level 60.

oh and then we have old fashioned Naxx.

Naxx was the be all and end all of the level 60 instances. 40 people wipes on instructor. you needed atleast 2 priests that had excellent +spell hit and were competant. you had to tank the boss on the bottom right corner while your offtanks held the other 'students' alive and occupied all this so your raid was not in los/range of instructors aoe.

here take a look, and these guys make it look easy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiZHmdqbI8Y

and Instructor was the easiest fight in the instance.

imagine, being a warrior with only 25k HP full epics tanking patchwerk with 3 million xp with quell serrar (60dps 1 hander)
    that and you have skeletons spawning attacking the raid at random and these need to be kited for the entire battle

Ulduar, VOA, 25Naxx ect: the other high end instances are a joke these days.

6. flinchy

flinchy Member

how is ulduar a joke?

isn't it a throw-back to the old days where instancing wasn't simply 1-shot?

ie. people are still struggling with parts of uld.

ED: and raids like voa, OS, EOE, simply dont count..

i enjoy getting a raid together and hacking away at emeris... i remember, before i hit 80, we got a good 30 people together to kill her. failed so hard 3 times, stupid mushrooms.

7. fist4jesus

fist4jesus Member

Sometimes I think about playing again.
    Then I remember the hours of sitting around at instance entrances waiting for people and replacing dropouts.

8. Mjollnir

Mjollnir Member

nothing will ever surpass the epicness of naxx 40 and cthun :(

Wow is dead, hope it just dies gracefully without blizzard raping the lore even more..

9. sabretooth

sabretooth Overdue for a new title

It's so dead it's still got millions of subscribers.

10. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

+1 cant see any company canning something that earns em just under 2 Billion dollars a year... (11 million subs * 14.95 * 12)

11. Lynx23

Lynx23 New Member

didnt they loose a bunch of subs when China banned gold selling?

12. flinchy

flinchy Member

1 billion dollars+

2 billion dollars

really, i dont think earning above 1 billion dollars a year from a single game will make blizz stop any time soon..

13. ScrumpyJim

ScrumpyJim Member

not sure where to start here. spell hit gear @ 60? were you playing the same game as the rest of us?

a tank in t3 with 25k hp? what are you smoking. a full t3 tank had ~8k hp.

and i'm pretty sure blizz stated only like 3% of the wow pop actually got to see naxx @ 60.

14. kona_boy

kona_boy Member

25k in T3 :lol:

Lay off the crack. A T7 tank only has that!

10k with Last Stand in full T3 and full buffs was "omg holy shit" at level 60. Most people were lucky to have 4k :p

15. Mjollnir

Mjollnir Member

25K in T3 is possible, seen it done on original thaddius

last stand + life giving gem + tauren with all CDs!

but Otherwise, BS!

16. domlebo

domlebo Member

Most people in naxx had 6k hp mages included. Tanks had 12k iirc.

17. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

It'd be kinda nice if the old content could have a sliding scale for the bosses, they have X amount of HP/dmg based upon the highest lvl member in the raid/instance.

18. nathanblogs

nathanblogs Member

More like 8-10k hp, and most tanks that did naxx would of had tf

If it don't have loots ppl wont bother

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  19. Impression

Impression (Banned or Deleted)

soz it was supposed to be 15k :S and that was in raid :)

20. FiShy

FiShy Member

lol? we had 3 MT's and only one had a TF, its not somthing you just farm for lol...