WOW WoWstalgia

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by CAPT-Irrelevant, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Kaji

Kaji Member

My friends and I (~10 of us) joined a bigger guild so we could go into the raid instances. My oh my, it was a big change from Strath SM runs for Crusader Orbs (back when it wasn't a 5 player limit).

Seeing the first two Molten Giants in MC was a big "HOLY FUCK" moment. A billion times bigger than anything else, it was a great starter to raiding. Of course, after a few weeks, everyone realised that it was a horrible amount of trash, and so began the auto-follow / AFKing disease.

Onyxia? Seriously, it wasn't that great. Maybe because I was a mage and on whelp duty, but god damn it seemed twitchy as fuck back then (pre T2). Every fucking week there was a new theory on DEEEEEP BREATHHSSSSS. The worst part, of course, was getting everyone to the instance - swimming across the water really wasn't that much fun.

BWL, of course, was the greatest instance in Vanilla WoW. Blizzard learnt their lessons with MC, and had essentially two rooms of trash - the Suppression Room was part of the Broodlord Lashlayer encounter, as far as I'm concerned. Vael is still regarded as one of the greatest encounters ever.

As for the AQ War Effort - farmer heaven. Oh yesss, farm those linen cloth. Make those bandages! C'mon, it was good for the first week due to the rewards (money money!), but after that, unless you were crazy and wanted to help farm the 800,000 linen bandages, there was fuck all to do - you had to wait until it auto-completed. And then when the War Effort WAS finished, you had to pray that you were online when the gong was rang...which really didn't matter, since the server crashed nearly straight away.

Speaking of which - the only people who liked the Scepter questline were the people actually doing it. Legendary mount? Yes please! For the other 39 people, it was but a dream, for a guild never did the questline more than once unless they were massive. (I did the Scepter line at 70 too - yes, I'm bitter :mad: )

And THEN, you had AQ40. While AQ20 was fairly good (short, sweet, not too hard), jesus fuck AQ40 was like lowering your testicles into acid. Do people forget all the bad parts? More trash than a fucking landfill, some of it harder than the bosses - pre-Twin Emps trash was like playing the lottery (R.I.P countless Hunter pets), and anyone who has down pre-C'Thun trash would rather die than be mind-flayed again. Let's not mention the horribly untested and bugged (kek) bosses on release that were mathematically unkillable. Oh yea, don't forget farming Maraudon for NR gear for Huhuran!

Don't get me wrong - I loved the lore behind AQ, and (some) of the boss fights were fantastically awesome (Twin Emps and C'Thun the highlights), but getting there involved far too much bullshit. And god fucking damnit, I wanted a big mount.

2. sirelliottm

sirelliottm Member

kaji is the only accurate one in here iirc a war tank at 60 in t2 did not have over 10k and as for 15 in t3 i really dont think so he may have been touching near with flask of the titans! and all buffs but if you still disagree i want pics!

MC that was the most boring instance for a pally healer and when it first came out for ally shaman gear was dropping vice versa! (healbot - 1 click healed anyone!) - i will smile if they bring in the quest chain for this! would have to be scaled though, i use to get my warlock down there near the entrance in lbrs and summon people for gold so they could do mc without been attuned used to make me a bit of gold i would split it with the two guildys that helped summon

BWL straight into a boss - awesome start!

AQ was that painful as its been said the trash were rather hard!

naxx/aq was the start of the rep grinds for raids! (maybe apart from the hydraxin water guys for mc, not all had to get the rep though)

but thats the point of expansions make new things either easier or harder its all going to be new

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  3. Rem0

Rem0 Member

Some memorable encounters of pre expansion WoW:
    Maraudon Princess runs as a pre 60 nubling
    Dire maul with it's 3 wings, probably my favourite 5 man instance, not to mention having such superior gear when compared to T1 which everyone seemed to want regardless. :confused:
    Azuregoes raids, oh the chaos!
    Solo'ing Incendius countless times for that perfect "of the monkey" bracer as a hunter, i remember picking up enchanthing just so i could DE all the rubbish i picked up from those runs :thumbup:
    Solo'ing Lethtendris for her felhide cap for my fire resist, i remember her being quite hard in pre-mc gear.
    Screwing around in Orgrimmar as an alliance, res'ing in buildings and using eyes of the beast to annoy random hordies.
    Pulling a pack of green dragons to Org, even though they bugged out and never attacked anyone.
    10 manning Onyxia, nothing spectacular but pretty fun.
    Downing Chromaggus and getting one of the few Ashjre'thul's of the server, good god that xbow ripped through mages in BG's.
    The Huhu'ran, Twin Emps and C'thun encounters, even though we never quite downed him. At the time when Naxx was released, many guilds abandoned AQ in favour of Naxx.
    Naxx as a whole and the consequent repair bills that followed. Kel'Thuzad make Patchwerk his avatar of war!

And of course, last but certainly not least, the epic hunter bow quest. Good times.

4. FiShy

FiShy Member

haha auto follow and bind a button to use CT Raid to target the person with lowest health and cast flash of light :p

I usesd to play with only to icons on my screen, one for taget lowest hp and flash heal, and bubble hearth for wipes :p

5. r8response

r8response Member

One button decursive for Lucifron :lol:

Seeing one of the bindings drop for the very first time and having 40 people scratching their head :weirdo:

Being a freshly lvl60 dwarf priest, and having every alliance guild chasing you for Nefarian :leet:

6. GTZLevin

GTZLevin Member

man.. so much old school fun..

reading all ur posts brings back good memories.

I remember getting pulled through MC in greens as the guild i joined was low on healers.. took me 6 months to get my first drop.. and for some reason it was all worth it. :p

Our guild leader (another holy pally) was in full T1 lawbringer and stuck out like a sore thumb in WSG.

Anyone remember having to actually travel the the BG's.. no summons, no stones, no battlemasters!?

That truely sucked, but also made it a cool hang out place as well.

7. Kaji

Kaji Member

My Ctrl-D decursive macro was the most used button in MC. Always on curse duty, and always picking up the slack :(

Who else linked [Bindings of the Windseeker] every time you killed Garr/Geddon? :D

8. Fatmantan

Fatmantan Member

I used to

/me has looted [*].

Everyone always raged thinking i looted it :D

9. Joehax

Joehax Member

I really enjoyed WoW when it first came out.

UBRS raids, Dwarven Hand Cannon, Molten Core, Onyxia, pre-arenas, pre-BGs..

People sharing new ideas on the forums for the best class builds & looking up new stuff on Thottbot from work so I could plan where to take my character to next.

Even oldskool AV was pretty cool (albeit one sided on Blackrock :()

10. tunagirll

tunagirll Member

My first time I saw someone flying overhead on a mount, in Goldshire, and thought 'wow how do you do that?!' not having learnt about flight points yet.

That was a long time ago, haha.

Watching Onyxia get trashed in Stormwind Keep.
    Discovering the auction house (I still remember as a noob discussing what drops sell for the most at the vendor, we were excited selling linen cloth at the blacksmith in Goldshire LOL)

Verigan's Fist

The level 60 epic paladin mount quest

LBRS and UBRS always had an epic feel to them, even though I still get lost in there. Still need one gem for the key...

11. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

I think the first wow moment for me was the end of the quest chain to be attuned for Onyxia. Parading through the streets of SW up to the keep really made me feel like I had accomplished something, and that what I had accomplished actually meant something. Then the huge fight in the throne room with all the dragonkin, was just awesome for a relatively new lvl 60 at the time.

Second one would have been a little while after... Seeing Ragnaros burst up fromt the lava for the first time was just awesome. You knew when you first entered Molten Core and saw the Giants at the start, that MC was going to have something special at the end. But when he popped up and was just that DAMN MASSIVE, was awe inspiring. And knowing that as the Main Tank I was gonna have to head on over and poke him made it even more special.

Another moment that was special for me was in MC as well, but didn't really have a lot to do with the moment aside from the fact that the item that was the centre of the moment dropped in there. Running MC for the umpteenth time with a guild I had started and was GM of, we had our first binding drop (one of two you needed to drop in MC to be able to start the quest chain and long grind for the legendary 1h sword Thunderfury... in case the newer players don't know. That sword was THE sword to have if you were a warrior or rogue, none better).
    When the drop happened, we was a bit stunned at first. Then everyone was cheering and wooting for our Guild first legendary drop. Then Officer chat started up on who should we be letting roll on it. After a few lines on possibly warriors and rogues (fuck the hunters ;-P ), one of the other officers said over Ventrilo, "I think that as our Guild Leader and our Main Tank, the legendary should go to Lorina (my human warriors name). Without him creating this guild and guiding us through, we wouldn't be here." Then officer chat exploded with votes of yes, raid chat exploded with people saying that they agreed, and I don't remember a whole lot more after that as I teared up a bit and got a bit emotional. Not over the weapon that I would have, even though it would be awesome, but that a group of different people from all over the world could come together and be so nice to me and appreciate what I had tried to do with the guild.

Single best wow moment ever :cool:

And I think that last moment typifies why I play wow. It's more of a social experience that lets me catch up with friends and have a great time. Just so happens that it takes place in a game.

Anyway, enough rememberance for me for now :)

12. Fatmantan

Fatmantan Member

/violin

:lol:

13. Kaji

Kaji Member

Very true - they're still HUGE instances.

One day, I hope Blizzard brings back a (big) 10man instance that's not a 25man raid scaled down :(

14. GTZLevin

GTZLevin Member

Who else used to PM people during the Baron Geddon Fight..

YOU ARE THE BOMB!!!

man that used to rule seeing 2 - 3 people run off to the side and explode..

15. OP
    OP
    CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

16. cs-cam

cs-cam Member

17. Vanboy

Vanboy Member

Running through EPL to get to TM
    Going from Troll starting to Scholo to buy mute ;)
    Non diminishing returns on roots, to beat super shammies in duels
    Hitting 60, 3rd or so druid on the server.
    Seeing 4 druids in Org. Super super rare
    Coming home every afternoon to organise a Strath run to get my Wildheart Kilt.
    Almost crying after a guildy was in an instance, I was farming just outside, and the Kilt dropped, no druids.. and they had a space in their group!
    Finally finishing Wildheart set in UBRS.
    Learning how to play WSG vs. Epic T1 Alliance teams
    Leaning how to sneak into WSG flag room, pick up, sprint, travel.
    Learning that secret way to get up at Alliance GY in WSG
    Supporting friends who needed 3 weeks at Standing 1 for WLs to get to HWL.
    Learning AB.
    AB draws
    Korrack :) :)
    AVs that went for days
    Ogre suits in DM
    AVs that went for 7 mins.
    Hitting General rank whilst supporting others
    Stacking on the armour and duelling t3 prot specced warriors for ages

Left just before BC, many fond memories, no plans to go back.

18. exile69

exile69 Member

this thread needs screenshots

19. Impression

Impression (Banned or Deleted)

i cant find an old vid of patchwerk that's a cople years old that had some really sweet music to it lol

it was NA or someone, one of the first world kills

20. Shawry

Shawry Member

DPS Warriors Battle-Shout tanking phase 1 Nefarion in BWL.
    AFK'ing in 8hour long matches of AV (while at work!) to get exalted rep :thumbup:
    Getting Exalted with Timbermaw and having King Bronzebeard yelling my name throughout Ironforge (plus the bonus of getting the AGI weapon enchant and making a packet of gold for being very rare at the time).