WOW WoWstalgia

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by CAPT-Irrelevant, Aug 30, 2009.

1. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

I did that :D as 31/5/15 gogo Mortal Strike tank! Then we killed him and I got my ashkandi and the fury warriors QQ'd.

2. |guanA

|guanA Member

Players who played in the 1st year of release had the best wow experience ever. I don't care what anyone else says, that 1st year of playing was simply magic.

3. Fatmantan

Fatmantan Member

Thats coz it was brand spanking new and every place was magic!

I remember when i first walked into Darnassus.... :shock::shock::shock::shock:

4. |guanA

|guanA Member

Yeah of course I'm just saying nothing they do will beat that though, I'm just happy I got to experience it.

5. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

Umm... so does anyone who starts. What you experienced was simply the honeymoon period. The same thing can be experienced by anyone who is new to gaming/the genre/the game.

6. Fatmantan

Fatmantan Member

Yes and No.

Back then, EVERYONE was a noob :D

Now if they start up, everyone will put shit on them any moment they get. :thumbdn:

7. break

break Member

Being a TBC baby, to me the most epic moments in the game were:

First time I heard Illidan's speech, particularly the whole "You are not prepared!" line in the days when I was still running some FSW and other shit items like HKM's belt. This was done prior to Sunwell's release btw.

When we finally killed KJ just two weeks before WotLK was set to be released. Even though it was nerfed content, it was incredible to know we'd cleared what was still one of the hardest raid's ever (we were working on Felmyst prior to 3.0, so we did pretty good before the nerfs too).

My very first time through Kara. Dying to Prince's enfeeble, dying to SWD'ing myself on Nethersprites blue beam, dying to not running in the correct path on BBW. Such a fun raid!

8. sabretooth

sabretooth Overdue for a new title

This, or faux elitism.

9. |guanA

|guanA Member

Nah man, it's as Fatmantan said, everyone was a noob. If someone new just started out now, the low level areas would be overrun with alts with their high level pals running them through group quests or dungeons, they would know exactly what to do and where to go.

10. Sped 1989

Sped 1989 Member

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  11. Snatch

Snatch Member

Yep there is no doubt about it WOW is an awesome game, just don't have the time to play it unfortunately.

Notable memories for me:

When BGs were first released and you had to actually fly/ride to the entrance to get in queue.
    10 man Strath & Scholo groups
    4 hour BRD runs trying to get attuned for MC
    15 man UBRS runs
    DM Tribute runs
    MARA Princess runs
    Having to spec for instant AE as a mage
    When ZG first opened and the disease from Hakkar spread across the whole server killing everyone.
    AQ war effort
    Week long AVs (yes I enjoyed them)

and the list goes on and on, I miss this game... :(

12. maev

maev Member

I remember being at loc modan or wherever that big dam is and seeing 2 high level allaince players there, later i would see them be top server pvpers and you would know them like you knew people your neighbourhood (even if they were of opposite faction).

although it made BG's easier to access, i loved the old school server old BG's where you would know people you constantly saw, and when you went and snuck into a town and then picked off some guards and they rocked up and felt like a great community.

now its like that lame ass radio station that is always on with mainstream shit and just no great feeling. it was great when it took you 6 months to get really good gear but you knew some 10year old that didnt go to school couldnt just grind BG's and get equivilent gear (hey im talking about when shadowcraft was good!). the game is still good in its own right, but i do miss old wow too.

13. Fishmaster

Fishmaster Member

Old school PvP was a highlight, going into a WSG against the alliance guilds you knew, play for 5 hours to eventually win 3-2 and then run into their vent screaming. Great fun.

Most of the memories was just of the sheer epicness of having 40 people work together in a raid, heck at times not even a raid. C'Thun going down was the crowning achievement for this. C'Thun v3 i still consider to be the best boss fight ever.

There was Azuregos, we did not go to kill him for the loot but to participate in world PvP with roughly 6 guilds, whoever got the killing blow crowned the champion and spawn camped for the next day.

80v80 alliance and horde as we all struggled to get into BWL at the same time, only once finally getting in have the instance server crash as everyone tried Razorgore at the same time.

Watching our guild leader with the help of alliance drag Kazzak from the blasted lands into stormwind city.

Complaining when Deus Vox came out of no where, cascaded instances and came to be the top guild in AQ40 in less then a month.

Being on the instant kill list of the asian guild on our server (a US server, so me and my mate played when they played. We ganked them alot and eventually found their forums with a list of people that their guild should drop everything for and kill :lol:).

Being bored and kiting random creeps from anywhere to large player zones (or just mobs in Naxx for easy gold and items).

The hunter epic from MC quest. Such awesome fun doing that. I still remember shaking from killing the last guy and realising I had actually done it.

Oh almost forgot, 40 man UBRS when it was possible, and having our faces scuffed into the dirt by the Beast time and time again :lol:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  14. zdream

zdream Member

fuck yea! those were the days!! when a lot of blues were the shit lol. now epix are jus standard. running DM for mp5 rings and shit.

15. Sorrow

Sorrow Member

aye I remember that time, back when I wasnt working just being a uni bum (and school? what year was wow released?)..

MC was epic, the guild I started ended up merging with two others so we could start MC. First time we killed mags, first time we killed domo, first time we killed rags (that was epic)

By far the best was BWL though, the amount of effort and planning that went into the first encounter, then you get to vael. We took several weeks to get passed that and when we did the sense of achievement that you got from it. I dont care that its only a computer game but passing that dps block required a lot of effort.

Chromaggus... simply awesome, being the first hunter in the guild and one of the first on the server to get ash.. awesome. Pissed off a fellow officer in the process that thought he was god (ended up leaving the guild after everyone disagreeing with him on many things, whatever the rogue sword that dropped from garr was I cant remember).

Seeing nefarian for the first time. wow. Dunno I really enjoyed that teamwork that had to go into it, and probably still does even though I stepped back.

Those were the days, and to an extent I was glad I was part of it, probably hurt my uni results a bit but well I've moved on and found ways around that, havent played really since I moved to england 2 years ago, just starting playing a bit now bit difficult on my laptop.

The friendships that i've made since the we first started playing i'll probably keep in contact with for the forseeable future. And when I come back to australia next year if I have the time (and dont get sidetracked by other things like work, women and gym) i'll probably continue playing. That being said though starcraft 2 and diablo 3 might be out.

16. Snatch

Snatch Member

Tarren Mill vs Southshore PvP battles :D

17. Calindor

Calindor Member

I started playing from release, back when you could raid UBRS and get smoked.

The first time I walked into Stormwind, I literally stopped on the bridge in the Valley of Heroes and let it wash over me. The visuals combined with the heroic music was just awesome.

18. officer waffles

officer waffles Member

I remember when I saw this back in the day and being amazed. Watching it again makes me want to go back to the game, but I know it's nothing like this now =[

19. Kaji

Kaji Member

Are you kidding? its fucking crit mania, I get killed in 2 seconds flat in BGs :p

20. japes

japes Member

Have videos of our 60 Naxx kills of Faerlina, Maexxna, Noth, Patchwerk, and Gluth. Also have C'Thun, Ouro, and Viscidius :)

Geared Warlock in T2.5/Wraith Blade/All the goodies: 6.2k

As for the flasked tanks..
    Patchwerk MT: 9.8k hp
    Hateful Tanks: 10.1-10.2k hp

[​IMG]

Screencap for reference :)