1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

WOW WoWstalgia

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by CAPT-Irrelevant, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Chris H

Chris H Member

My fondest Memories are all Vanilla WoW based:

1 Southshore Battles tug of war
    2 Having all valor and lightforge on my paladin (why did i roll on valor? lol scrub)
    3 Being destroyed by Windfury Shamans in battlegrounds
    4 My cousin having his geared 60 warrior banned for abuse
    5 ARCANITE REAPER

My fondest was seeing an almost entirely epiced out shaman with Hand of Ragnaros in Ironforge.
    This was when Epics meant something.

Wow in my mind is dead. And they are removing Spell power ect from the game. No longer a real MMO.

Bring on Aion :)

2. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

Yeh, cos more of the same is gonna help. :rolleyes:

Global Agenda for me :D

3. Kaji

Kaji Member

How the fuck is this a fond memory? I remember thinking "fuck this, fuck the horde, fuck shamans, god fucking damn it why didn't I roll horde, fuck this game, fuck pvp, fuck windfury"

4. japes

japes Member

Because Paladins were such underpowered healers in PVP at 60 :|

Mind you, running around at 60 on a full T2.5 Warrior with Severance and a Shaman Windfury/Healbot was fucking awesome.

5. Chris H

Chris H Member

Haha man

i was like that too! Every time i saw a shammy i was like OMGGGAHHHHHH. Even 1 decent shaman in a battleground and u thought it was all over, you were so demoralised it was inevitable u get ur face rolled.

Japes
    You know what man, i still think that Judgement set for Paladins was their best tier ever created in terms of look :)
    Now they have terrible lazy armor sets with half the polygon count, and they protect their developers. pfftt

Ahhh where did it all go wrong :(

Another fond memory....
    Running UBRS 15man trying to get Blackhand doomsaw.
    I specifically remember it dropping, i won and instantly had Crusader enchant put on it... PvP funnnn :D (old school SoC ret pally ftw)

6. Cyph

Cyph Member

Seriously, best fun ever in this game.

<3. World Defense> Crossroads is under attack.

Get there and it'd be a massive free for all with alliance versus horde. Loved it.

Hitting 60 for the first time.
    Doing Zul'gurub
    UBRS

Did a bit of MC, didn't really get into Ony/BWL raids mainly because I was playing on Wildhammer.

Hopping onto vent/teamspeak servers of Alliance guilds while you're having a massive brawl outside any capital city for the win, and laughing when you just manage to kill someone while on like 150hp left.

World PVP is over so quickly now :(

7. OP
    OP
    CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

I remember the time my main was nowhere near 60, and every time I was in SW and someone started the Great Masquerade quest, I'd always run to the Keep, tuck myself in by the wall away from the fight just to see its epicness each time, and thinking to myself "I can't wait to do this quest".

I eventually got away with doing the quest ONCE before it was removed due to Varian's return. I only got up to needing to run BWL to get Drakkisath's blood, which I never got around to doing.

I also use to try and frequent WSG as much as possible with my Warrior so I could eventually earn for him the "Grand Marshall" honour rank ("Grand Marshall" Tythazerus, kind of has a good ring to it huh)... but the fuckers (Blizz) removed Honour ranks altogether :mad: My motivation for PVP died and I never did it ever again.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  8. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

Just 'frequenting' bg's was not enough to get GM. You could get up to about r10 that way, after that, you required about 3 months of dedicated 8hr+days of bg play.

9. Kaji

Kaji Member

I doubt you'd ever get Drakkisath's blood from BWL, considering he's in UBRS ;)

Grand Marshall (and the much cooler sounding High Warlord) were rightfully removed. Like purehybrid said, it was literally 8 hours a day - that is just crazy for any game.

10. Fatmantan

Fatmantan Member

I remember back in my uni bum days, pvping all day and getting up to rank 11 or so.

Kept getting whispers from those who were actually dedicating their lives to getting HW and asking me what i was doing :lol: I was actually getting the 2nd or 3rd most points per week. Jumping a little over a rank per week.

Ahhh, those days are long gone :(

11. Falkor

Falkor Member

That was the thing with GM/HW they had to coordinate so much to get up there. I remember Staria was GM or high ranked a few weeks in a row and so many people were outraged about it because she was just depriving other people from getting up there! lol

It was such a bullshit rank, I got myself to like Rank 8 or something and then didn't go much higher. I didn't bother with PVP too much I was more into the Raiding side of it.

Lots of fond memories reading this thread, Haven't played WOW in years and don't think I will go back as its not the same game to me. Its still a good game just not something I want to play anymore :)

I still remember being a druid in MC though and getting 4-5 set pieces a night. Because I was 1 of only 2 druids hahaha. And then I remember the next week we had to DE bout 3 or 4 druid pieces because we both had them. Not to mention all the Warlock drops :lol:

12. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

Yeh there were very tight community defined rules about how much honor you could farm etc... so that they could organise who was getting GM/HWL each week. 'Cos all the rankings were relative to the honor farmed by others. So if you went all out and got more honor one week, than the rank13 guy going for GM, there would be a whole horde of angry nerds knockin on your door for upsetting their plans!

Just to give an idea of what was required... one server I was on, had a community honor 'cap' of 50k for the week from memory. Now, due to the honor changes and extra 10 levels, that would be about 300-400k in todays standards. Note, they also had no honor-rewarding quests/wintergrasp etc back then. You had to do that every week for 3 months after achieving rank11, in order to get rank14.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  13. Fatmantan

Fatmantan Member

Yeah, lots of angry tells :lol:

I backed off a bit and pretty much stopped playing the character as it was taking too much time. That and i was missing my guild over on Alliance side.

I only started the Horde character because back then, ALliance were shit in PVP :D

14. ed3r

ed3r Member

I'll always look back on pre-expansion WoW fondly. Back when you would follow and inspect people with more than a few epics, so rare!
    I was a t2 druid.

15. Eradicate'

Eradicate' Member

i bloody loved doing MC followed by onyxia, even main tanking some of the bosses in MC naked, with only a sword and board

16. FromPaul

FromPaul Member

healing the offtank on patchwerk was always the most stressful thing I ever did in wow, was the one fight that each week made you tear your hair out.

second most stressful thing was c'thun, usually after the 3rd wipe for the night, because as the only dwarf priest I copped all the shit for the wipes on the trash leading up to ouro and c'thun and I was already shitted off enough :)

Oh yeah, wowstalgia, dwarf priest recruitment madness around oct 05 through september 06, one guild I was in had 5 dwarf priests, then i xferred to blackrock and found that 6 guilds were after dwarf priests, even before i had a chance to get invited by the guild I apped for i was spammed like i've never been before.

Oh yeah, pre nerf snowballs

Click to view full size!

And that fucking night when this happened, never let two bored rank 14 priests in your raid when you are doing gothik

17. Bonkers

Bonkers Member

AV where people actually lined up and fought for 5 days straight not realizing they could run past each other.

Being able to run from paladins without them having a single ranged attack to stop you with.

Tarren Mill vs southshore when PVP just came out :D

Ambush + Backstab dealing 2.5k damage and mages only having 2.5k health :lol:

18. JamalH

JamalH Member

I was a Vanilla WoW player since release, played till 25 man Naxx and said F*** this crap im not sinking any more time into this, but yeah the vanilla WoW days were the best gaming years of my life.

19. GTZLevin

GTZLevin Member

almost the same from me..

i made into 25man uldar to 12/14 and then had enough. Stop raiding.. mostly pvp'd and arena'd on my lock. (omfgbbqftw..12kcritMonstorPOW)

But vanilla wow was some of the best gaming and "OMG" moments ever.

UBRS, ony, first MC clear..

I still enjoy'd running through kara "the first time only" as it was something different.. and i really liked Black temple and Mount Hyjal.. but i still think Vanilla was as epic as it'll come.

Sux that alot of current players still never saw that content for what it was back in the day..

20. OP
    OP
    CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

:D Onyxia has been revamped!

Won't be the same without the quest chain though :(