WOW WoWstalgia

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by CAPT-Irrelevant, Aug 30, 2009.

1. anrke

anrke Member

My WoW account hasn't been subscribed for about 4 months now, but suffice to say all my WoWstalgia resides in vanilla release WoW.

- UBRS
    - First time I saw a kodo wandering around Barrens (as a dwarf)
    - Dire Maul runs, then dashing outside when a rare arena boss spawned to do battle for the glory of fighting it.
    - First Epic BoE drop
    - First time being demolished by the very first giants in MC
    - Guild effort in accumulating +Fire Resist gear for Rags
    - Having a major quest/instance hub dropped in Silithus, when I was quite happy farming the humanoid mobs on my own.

I can't think of anything noteworthy from TBC gameplay wise, just simply amazement at the new zones.

WotLK had some great quest lines, I really enjoyed questing (and not power leveling) to 80. Unfortunately, I hit 80 with about 2 1/2 zones completely unexplored.

WotLK endgame was boring.

2. mtw

mtw Member

Yep, vanilla WoW was the bomb. I might have to give another mmo a shot, although I don't know which one.

I remember levelling to 60 for the first time, I was a NE Rogue and damn I was so bad lol. Then I rerolled to horde as an orc warrior. Just everything about WoW pre-expansion was amazing fun lol.

3. GTZLevin

GTZLevin Member

Who remembers the BOOB rogue shoulders and paladin BANANA shoulders..

those things rocked!

4. Scorpion121

Scorpion121 Member

It was the last item I had to get for the set, by then I already had Bloodfang.

Every Saturday, MC runs, 6-8 hours... Vanilla was painful!

Everything about Vanilla was painful, rep grinds especially. I remember the Dark Iron one for the leather pattern I think it was. I must've spent days in Badlands killing those cats.

Even though I did enjoy playing WoW back then, nothing compares to what it's like today, so different, and I'd have to say better by a long shot.

5. SpudBoy

SpudBoy Member

heh.. boob shoulders..

yeh... I still have the Sharkfin helm on my warr =D

6. JamalH

JamalH Member

A game is suppose to end sometime, not take your cash every month and give you recycled garbage and a level cap.

7. Fishmaster

Fishmaster Member

I think my hunter still has his trashcan shoulders somewhere haha.

8. Franc

Franc Member

Got a full set of deathbone for my pally, you think its time I retired that?

9. wizball

wizball Member

Revisionism much?

Why did you take 6-8 hours to clear Molten Core? My guild could down Onyxia and then head over to BRM and clear MC in under 3 hours and we were a very casual guild. Basically we were bad.

Why did you do all of MC in one day? Spread it out over a week?

You only needed one person per guild to grind Thorium Brotherhood for enchanting, tailoring, leather workering and black smithing and later on Cenarion Circle rep. Yes, fortunately CC rep was much more easy to obtain through quests in Silithus, AQ20 (and Qiraji Lord's Insignia from AQ40 bosses).

And what was your guild doing with the fiery and lava cores, dark iron ore and blood of the mountains from your MC runs? Remember only blacksmithing needed exalted to Thorium Brotherood rep. The other professions stopped at revered.

So what about the other 36 people in your guild that didnt need to grind Thorium Brotherhood and CC rep? What other rep grinds were there?

Honored with Argent Dawn to get into Naxx? Like you I never even got close to do doing Naxx though I did get revered to get the shoulder resists enchants.

And only the top, hard core guilds forced players to grind ZG to get exalted with Zandalar to get the class shoulder enchants. Or force players to continually down Bloodlord and Jin'do every 3 days for idols for head/leg enchants.

So, explain to me what rep "grinds" did you HAVE to do in Classic WoW. Epic riding mount? Nope. Except the ride from Cenarion Hold down to AQ20/40 a 60% mount would get you from the flight point to the instance quick enough. Hell, in Ony's case you swum most of the way.

Farm resist gear? Some of my best memories of Classic WoW was getting a 5 man together and farming the Dire Maul wings for resist pieces and having fun on vent. Once you were decked out in Zg/Ony/AQ20/MC and some tier 2 from BWL farming 5 mans was easy. Joking around with guild mates on vent doing 5 mans was fun.

Funny that! People in a guild working together helping each other out towards a common goal in an mmorpg. How disgusting.

10. GTZLevin

GTZLevin Member

i liked those days when u had a guild enchanter/LWorker etc..

and they were loyal..

all those sort of things are out of the window now with some people with the epic patterns switching guilds faster than clearing trash

11. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

Why? My semi-regular poker game with my mates never ends... we've been playing for years.... No expansion packs for that one either.

12. Kaji

Kaji Member

While you're having fun, who the fuck cares if it doesn't end?

13. bongo55

bongo55 Member

I look back and I wish I put more effort into classic WoW and burning crusade. I just never thought that WoW would change so drastically. Now the WoW that I started playing nearly four and a half years ago is gone forever. Come next expansion it will literally be gone forever and will never return (Blizzard will never ever ever open "classic" servers)

Moral of the story? Make most of the time you have because it will end sometime. Everything in life is like that. Even things as inconsequential as computer games.

Makes me a little sad I'll never have the fun I had playing WoW from May 2005 to the 12th Nov 2008 again.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  14. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

I started late (BC baby) and joined not long after that came out, so sorta got in as all the original players had moved on. Left Azeroth feeling pretty empty even back then. Finally getting myself to 60, the first and only guild i was with all that time fell apart.

Then getting into another guild which i ended up becoming one of the GM council (we scrapped a single person running the rest crap) we raided and completed kara whilst others still were having trouble. Yet this is where we failed...or blizzard failed us as 10 people raids didnt exist and were much easier to manage. We didnt have the people to move on to 25mans so we had to pug out.

Zul'aman came and we loved it, and made progress through it. Cleared well before Lich. A few new members came along and were vanilla players, so I was lucky enough to get to group with these guys and go back to redo the Ony chain before it got nerfed, redo all the old raids (all beit at lvl 70) but it was fun.

I quit wow after Lich came out and I had raided the nex naxx a few times. Getting to 80 and back into the daily grind, the waiting for raids, the idiots who still couldnt figure out some skill at 80...it takes a toll.

They need to stop poilshing the turd and bring out a WoW2 or something to go and fix all the mistakes they made. Better graphics, better PvP, better raids etc...Id come back for a WoW2 i think. ATM though, ive sold my desktop and will be coming back for SW: TOR as someone else here said....

15. GTZLevin

GTZLevin Member

I was thinking of selling mine..

but i doubt id get any good coin for it to make the sale worth while.

Just going to run my current machine into the ground and retire it as a spare box and build a new machine before SWTOR comes out

16. Franc

Franc Member

Nerfed? Grrr

17. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

yer well...completely cut out to make way for lich content...

18. Franc

Franc Member

that sucks. One thing ive noticed in teh Wotlk quests (admittedly Ive only got two toons to 72 so far just doing questing) is that they are very basic, very easy and repetitive. And terribly easy.

Im kinda missing the big quest chains and the longer quests (like those nestingwary ones)

19. GTZLevin

GTZLevin Member

long chain quests were awesome..

especially when they started from a random drop or a lowly quest the eventuated into a major story plot..

assasination plot against Lady Proudmore comes to mind..

20. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

Dragonblight main story chain? Sons of Hodir quest chains?... or any wotlk repfaction chain for that matter... they're all pretty big and varying.