WOW WoWstalgia

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by CAPT-Irrelevant, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Franc

Franc Member

I did say i only had 2 x 72's so far, just started dragonblight so please forgive if im wrong.

2. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

You're in for a treat :)

3. Franc

Franc Member

Got my pally to 73 in dragonblight, I enjoyed the questing there lots more htan the initial zone, thats for sure.

4. c0rtex

c0rtex Member

things i remember most..
    iced ninjaring ubrs runs on blackrock
    massive world pvp at tarren mill
    getting the arc reaper..
    exploring new areas
    kiting dragons to org on my hunter
    MCing the tank on Kazzak
    it was the best game !

5. snoop_wog

snoop_wog Member

Oh the memories lol...

I remember pissing 325 DKP (a shit load lol) on the Untamed Blade, UTB rocked hard. Oh and Just before expansion running around AV with my ret palli in 3p FM, 4p T1, T2 helm and UTB absolutely destroying people. (all until people bitched and they nerfed CS from 6secs to 10secs after it had only been out for a week)

WoW for me fell to pieces about a year after BC was released, i was having heaps of fun doing Kara and the first of the 25 mans.

I quit about year ago and have attempted coming back a couple of times but i only last about 2 days before i get fed up and freeze my account again. I really cant see myself ever playing again which sucks but hey atleast i have some fond memories lol.

6. Mikos

Mikos Member

Sounds like a lot has changed! I will never forget spending weeks wiping on trash in MC trying to get to Lucifron. Respawn timers anyone? Those 2 giants the first time you went into MC... omg. Shadow priests/anything but resto druids becoming good and every guild wanting them. The prep for 40 man raids was insane. Not just getting pots & consumables, but then farming shards with the poor locks, making all that fucking food and water for the entire raid. Watching a guild evolve from a "recruit anyone" guild into the top few % on the server. The evolution of raiding... spending 8 hours saturday/sundays for months raiding. That shit was awesome, even if it ruined social life. You'd have to be up at 8am in the morning sometimes with daylight savings and crap. Downing 40 man bosses for the first time, nothing will beat it. To think it all started cause I won a $100 voucher at a LAN party and randomly decided to get WoW with it. It all started so innocently. 40 man raids was what I played for though. When it got watered down to 25 man raids, that's when I packed up shop.

Here's some screenshots I still have...

/wave to anyone who I used to play with... I think a few people browse these parts of the interwebs

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

7. GTZLevin

GTZLevin Member

lol.. 3.9fps outside AQ..

i was so sad when i lost all my screenshots from back when i started playing. Mine only go back as far as kara now. :(

Think the opening of AQ has to be one of the biggest events in recent history where your entire server both ally and horde had to contribute.

Everyone wanted their server to be the first..

8. gruntLOL

gruntLOL Member

I had WoWstalgia last night and couldn't even reinstall it thanks to what I can only assume is a DVD Rom error. That said when I used to roll a dwarf priest I loved running to MC with my guild only to run into a Horde Guild coming out and MCing half their core raiders into the Lava.

Happened like clockwork almost every week :D

9. JamalH

JamalH Member

I've wanted to reinstall and start playing again, but ive got other games i enjoy more that i wanna finish

I got about 15 games i need to finishsh on my ps3, xbox combined

And the thought of paying again, no thanks.

10. SomeGuy1234

SomeGuy1234 Member

The worst part is they nerfed those down to about 12 animals each :(

It's stupid because everyone I ever talked to about WoW always loved those quest lines, and now they've been nerfed to take all the epicness out of them.

True enough, but WotLK in general has killed ALOT of guilds (mine included) through the fact that it's basically WoW for the casual, me and the people I played with were never hardcore, we just ran Kara, Heroics and joined the occasional Mag/Gruul PuG in BC, and plenty of other stuff to keep bust with. These days it's just ToGC and you must have a gearscore of nine thousand or no-one wants to even know about you.

Everyone I know who's quit has done so for the same reasons, there just isn't anything to do anymore, the heroics are laughably easy, and no-one wants to run anything other than ToGC, I've tried recently to get some badges for Heirloom gear, been trying to run Naxx, for the third week in a row I've got in on a run that disbands and never starts up again after 2 wings.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  11. Thor

Thor Member

12. Mikos

Mikos Member

Shuth :D You can see my druid in bright green, we must of been grouped at the time (I think that's what green meant anyway...). Good times good times...

Are you still playing at all?

13. Thor

Thor Member

Nah green was pvp flagged. I was in a raid with about 15 other <Risen> people at the time iirc.

I stopped 25man raiding a couple of months back due to time. Continued with 10mans for a while but RL meant I couldn't make each week reliably so decided to stop playing. I may return casually in a few weeks although I'm not sure I should seeing I've broken my addiction. :lol:

I still check out the mmo-champion updates and the OCAU threads out of curiosity.

14. Moarphine

Moarphine Member

My first ever raiding guild, Inertia of Dreadmaul. Free server transfers were up and I was eager to remove myself from the critical and ever questioning eyes of freinds. I learnt everything I know in that guild, cleared all the bc content but sunwell. I left in wotlk to join some other friends, the guild subsequently died but oh man hot summer nights clearing bt was the shit.

15. Kaji

Kaji Member

Somewhere, a little bit of humanity died.

After we killed Archimonde, I went to the shop (~11pm) and in the middle of the street, in the dead quiet, I shouted FUCK YES at the top of my voice.

16. Moarphine

Moarphine Member

Perth Summers and the ring of fire provided by Illidan, the inferno of Archimondes fury, the screen shaking red at his demise, and even the simplicity of the shooting eruptions of lava from Hellfire, Shadowmoon and Supremus. Wraith has never come close, desolate monotonous colours. Whiteout and loss of life, guild and the infinite hours of cheerful shouting on ventrillo. =( killing an endgame boss with a pug just isn't the same. Strangers screaching over loot handouts is horrible compared with the emotions of ending a boss's life, the anticipation of the loot councils decision and glory you and your fellow brethren share when it is announced over trade what your guild has achieved. AFK'd in Shattrah, your Netherwing mount one of a kind, the toil of months of progression climaxing to the respect and adoration of your peers and one fresh ding level 70 of your same class, with a few pieces of Kara gear, still keyboard turning, a virgin to endgame asks "whats your rotation" or compliments you on your gear.

Yes these were the days. I must admit I have not truly had the time to experience all endgame content, I have still not found a guild since patch 3.0.1. Pugs are common and good guilds, I have learnt are a rare thing.

I used to get a real kick those final few seconds before attempting a boss. Where you stretch and remind yourself of your job, where your everything you do is complex, intricate and crucial to 24 other humans, freinds.

I will be able to play wow once again in 3 days time (yesss Exams over). But I just don't know if Ill ever get those emotions again. and it saddens me, deeply.

17. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

Holy rose colored glasses Batman!

Nothing will ever be as good as you remember it. However, there are a lot of people who feel about the game now, as you feel about how it was in tbc. There were a lot of people who felt about tbc, as you feel about the game now, as they much prefered vanilla... and there will be a lot of people, who, during cataclysm, will long for the good old days of wotlk.

18. Moarphine

Moarphine Member

Yeah I know what you mean, it is a wow nostalgia thread though D: The game can be as it good as it wants to be but in the end I associate (god this is so fucking gay) the warmth of Burning Crusade with the friendships forged, the excitement and rewards of raiding. Something I have yet to achieve in wraith. Perhaps I'm over romanticizing bc but when I think of wraith I think of being being pissed of and cold on a Saturday mourning with ugg boots on in an overcrowded Dalaran whilst the servers premier raiding guild is a weekly pug.

Just had a thought, cruising around Shozalar with Ice Cube - It was a good day- mining saronite wasnt bad.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  19. vinli

vinli Member

This thread is making me a bit nostalgic too. I played a heap before the burning crusade, raided a lot but never got to naxx, played the burning crusade up to end game but didn't do any raiding other than that 10 man tower (I've forgotten the name but it had the cool themed battles like the opera house) but quit before the witch king.

Is it worth coming back to now and dusting off my old 70s and trying to level them before the next expansion?

20. GTZLevin

GTZLevin Member

short answer.... no.

You wont find the same sort of enjoyment and achievement from anything anymore. Rarely is there any decent questline and unlocks like the kara key quest (small i know) to gain entry to a certain area..

WOLTK u just needed a flying mount or a friendly lock to summon you up to naxx..

Gear wise, if u grind enough heroics out you'll be able to "purchase" the similar gear to those raiding in 10man raids.. and unless your pushing the higher numbers of resilience in pvp your going to get romped.

I havent played since may earlier this year and theres not alot i miss. Sure, the old days of MC, BWL... Dinging 70 with all the quest lines for the Kara 10man raid completed.. progressing through all the newer 25man raids in BC and clearing Black Temple the first time was soooo satisifying...

Wotlk saw my lock in LOL'epics and some salvaged pvp gear in Uldar 25man getting tier gear 4 hours after i'd dinged 80... and doing decent damage as well.

Think the game is sort of more for the masses now.. and dumbing it down to the point where the developers feel sorry for those having to level up from 1 - 80 again.. so the handouts are plentiful..

Im personally waiting on Starwars: The Old Republic MMO next year.. as bioware has yet to dissapoint with an MMO in recent times..