WSUS - Win 10 client hung at 0%

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Gunna, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Gunna

Gunna Member

So after many failed attempts of having our U.S office attempt to implement 3rd party solutions to handle Windows updates i've pulled the pin and reverted back to WSUS.

We have a mixture of Win7 and Win 10 clients. I'm getting Feature updates deployed and installing however the odd Windows 10 client will detect a number of updates and hang at 'Status: Downloading 0%'

Event viewer shows the Windows update client detect and report it is starting to update but nothing happens.

I've renamed the SoftwareDistribution and catroot2 folders twice now, ran the update diagnostics with no erros, made sure the .esd file type is configured in IIS on the WSUS server however the issue remains. This PC did pull the feature update from WSUS, installed and now hangs on these updates.

I was getting SCHANNEL TLS errors on the endpoint however I have now resolved that by disabling TLS 1.0 and enabling TLS 1.2 on the WSUS server

2. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

3. OP
    OP
    Gunna

Gunna Member

Last round of updates for the server were installed Dec 4 so I would say this was included well before Novembers cumulative update pack.

I am patching to the latest available updates now, had to wait for end of day

Edit: Issue remains after patching server to latest available updates

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  4. bcann

bcann Member

what version of WSUS are you running and to what patch level (differing version of WSUS require either wsus patches to be ran manually, or the newer versions auto install) and to be blunt, sometimes i've seen a windows patch get stuck, and just manually installing just that one update(Then rebooting) particularly if it is always the same one that hangs on the PC. Doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

5. OP
    OP
    Gunna

Gunna Member

Svr 2012 R2

WSUS Version 6.3.9600.18838

Latest server patches installed yesterday including optional updates

I've gone the route of manually installing the 8 patches that had hung so will see if other Win10 machines have the same issue

6. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

What about the clients?
    How far out of compliance are they?

The current patches also have service stack requirements.
    Off the top of my head I think anything after may 2015 should be ok.

7. OP
    OP
    Gunna

Gunna Member

Win 10 1809 was having issues.

Update from 1709 to 1809 then 8 updates hung so was well after 2015

8. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

Check the requirements for the patches.
    Possibly the same issue but needing a newer servicing patch.
    ie. Latest patches for 1809 require a particular CU or similar that was released between 1709 and 1809.

I would also suggest looking through windows update logs on the clients but that's only if you can get them converted from binary. Almost never works for me.