X BOX ONE X- GTX 1070 Performance for $600..

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by kot0005, Jun 12, 2017.

1. kot0005

kot0005 Member

Well, Microsoft really lowered the price bar for this one. First time in years that a console got my attention. My last one was the 360.

It shows how bad Nvidia is price gouging us. Technically PC GPU's would have been a lot cheaper if Nvidia didn't keep increasing the prices every gen.

discuss!

2. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Or if AMD finally made a top end competitive GPU again :)

As for the One X. Its a day 1 pre-order for me. The hardest part about it is the 5 month wait till its out.

3. OP
    OP
    kot0005

kot0005 Member

Yep.. 2 years for a new gpu. Apparently the Vega delay is because of an exclusive deal with Apple.

Already bought 1080TI. Prob wont but the 1x straight away. Going to invenst in the new HDR G-0sync monitors from Aces/asus first.

Also I remember the original Xbox being $800 at launch. I was sure Scorpio would retail at $850

4. radeon_freak

radeon_freak Member

Got any links? My Google fu is weak today, this a new xbox being released in Nov?

5. OP
    OP
    kot0005

kot0005 Member

6. OP
    OP
    kot0005

kot0005 Member

7. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

I heard they were bringing in mouse and keyboard support.

That could steal away a lot of PC gamers.

8. 3stars

3stars Member

that would get my money

9. Buzzbugs

Buzzbugs New Member

I very highly doubt that. Consoles have always been the cheaper way to game, the new xbox is no different.

Just when they begin touting 60fps on the new console, PC gamers will be gaming at 144fps and up. PC gaming will always be at the cutting edge and that's why many people choose to game on PC.

10. congoh

congoh Member

I wouldn't rule out keyboard and mouse.
    This could be another way to block/compete with SteamOS.

144Hz gaming is still a minority according to Steam survey.
    Majority of gamers on pc use much less powerful hardware so this could be a good deal for some.

11. Buzzbugs

Buzzbugs New Member

Then they were meant for console gaming all along :)

12. OP
    OP
    kot0005

kot0005 Member

PC will always be better , but look at the prices we pay for the hardware.If only AMD was half good as sony.. we would have gotten GTX 1080's for $600 at launch.

13. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

I agree that pc gaming will always be the cutting edge, but a console can now do about 80% of what a pc can do. Browser, email, movies, music, cloud storage, facebook, skype, it's all there. If that's all you want, why spend a couple of grand on a PC when you can buy an Xbox for $500?

The thing is, the PC master race (us, people that build their own pc) isn't the target market. Anyone that buys an off-the-shelf computer for gaming is, and there's a hell of a lot of people that buy alienware that are now looking at xbox.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  14. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Nvidia don't make money from software. Microsoft do. They (and Sony) make a loss on hardware to recoup it on software.

Comparing Nvidia to Microsoft is cheese and chalk.

15. chook

chook Member

With Microsoft doing the single operating system dance and with O365 being able to operate totally in the browser via OWA or Google Docs then for many folk all the boxes are ticked not just for gaming but productivity also. If $600 gets you all of that then it does make the rest of us the edge case and marketing departments traditionally don't care about edge cases.

For me, with one child, the cost of equipping him with his own PC wasn't too bad but I imagine families with multiple children might have a higher cost if they want to equip each child with a PC. I also think that not all families are interested in something like a Raspberry Pi, be that through ignorance of their existence or a lack of the skills to make it work. An Xbox One X probably ticks more boxes as a total solution for entertainment, productivity and learning.

16. maxrig

maxrig Member

Agreed and also the GPU on the Xbox X is only equivalent to a GTX 1060/RX 480.

17. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

Yep, for people like us, equipping the kids is easy, as we can piece together an old system from parts that will work just fine.

Having said that, I've got an xbox1. It sits in the loungeroom and runs everything in there. Kinect turns the home theatre and tv on, and apart from VLC being a piece of shit and Microsoft films & TV not being able to find my NAS, it does everything (here's hoping that Kodi gets their shit together). Hell, the only game I own for the thing is the original Sonic the Hedgehog.

18. OP
    OP
    kot0005

kot0005 Member

Its better than RX480, has ~2500 stream processors and 40 CU's.

Also don't forget console optimisation. Combined you have a 1070 level performance.

19. OP
    OP
    kot0005

kot0005 Member

Does Nvidia not get any cuts from game devs from optimising drivers?

20. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

MS would be certainly losing money on this build (just like PS4 did years ago).
    They will make all the money from all their software licensing and xblive fees.

Also looks like it's $649 AUD in Australia:
    https://ebgames.com.au/waitlist/xboxonex/

Poor Xbone-S suckers.