X BOX ONE X- GTX 1070 Performance for $600..

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by kot0005, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Sledge

Sledge Member

So in a nutshell, what does this do that xbone doesn't do?

2. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

runs more that 30fps in 720p for start I guess ? :thumbup:

Also $650.00 for something that can run 1080p+ @ 60fps, 0 fuckaround with drivers and windows, small size, tons of people will jump on this.

I'll personally stick with PC, old habits die hard (started with x286) and like my 120hz+

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

This is Microsoft's attempt to make consoles more up to date, with more regular hardware releases and less difference between each generation.

The idea is that it's compatible hardware wise with XBOne and XBOneS, but just a touch faster for newer titles, higher framerates, higher resolutions.

This distinguishes them from Nintendo and somewhat Sony in their more long-term outlook on console lifecycles, with larger updates between systems (although Sony did have the PS4 Pro as a one-off occurrence, but it remains to be seen if they continue with that model of incremental release).

Of course, for a long-time console gamer like myself, not having to constantly drop hundreds of dollars on hardware every 12 months was part of what I loved about console gaming, and what annoyed me about PC gaming (the other part being how much I loathe dealing with OS software maintenance just for a gaming rig). This blurs the line substantially between traditional PC vs Console arguments, and I'm not yet sure which side of the fence I sit on with this.

No different to anyone buying a GPU only to have a new model come out 12 months later. This "incremental upgrade" thing is precisely what "PC Master Race" has wanted for eons.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  4. Sledge

Sledge Member

Except every time I turn on the current xbone, I still have to wait for some sort of update
    Sometimes a few hundred mb, usually GB.

So more automated os update, bit unable to use it..
    PC you can still use it while you download update etc

5. Bertross

Bertross Member

Yup its a pretty interesting piece of gear alright. Dropping big coin on PC hardware is getting a bit long in the tooth. Luckily i need decent gear for work or else this would def be on my xmas list. I already got the kids a ps4 pro though about 2-3 months ago.

6. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Funnily enough, U.S gaming industry opinion is already saying the One X may be too expensive for the consoles market to do well in the U.S...

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...x-analysts-concur-that-usd499-is-a-tough-sell

7. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

people that can afford it, will buy it. People that cannot, will stick with the current Xbox or PS4.

Xbox one X might steal the possible PC buyers that were debating whether or not to invest in PC for more power, now they can stick with more powerful console.

Unfortunately tech is getting more and more expensive every year, it will have to come to the point when MS/Sony won't be able to sell for that low price point anymore...

8. spank36

spank36 Member

Its the first console that has caught my eye in a long time. I'll stick with my PC as I use it to video edit and render but I'm still intrigued.

9. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

10. maxrig

maxrig Member

Pretty much the same performances since the RX 480 clocks speed are higher and the Tflops are similar 5.8 Vs 6.0.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/radeon-rx-series/radeon-rx-480

Console makers want you to believe that their platforms are more optimised but the reality is that they need to keep their backwards compatibilities with previous generations aka gimping themselves.

11. Pemalite

Pemalite Member

Scorpio:
    40 CU's. 64 shaders per CU = 2560 shaders @ 1172mhz, 6 Teraflops.
    160 Texture Mapping Units, 48 Render Output Pipelines.

Radeon RX 480:
    36 CU's. 2304 shaders @ 1120mhz. (1266mhz boost.) 5.8 Teraflops.
    144 Texture Mapping Units, 32 Render Output Pipelines.

Plus you also have bandwidth... Scorpio has 326GB/s the RX 480 has 256GB/s.

Safe to say. Scorpio is faster than the RX 480.

Even the RX 580 with it's higher boosting 1340mhz clock rate (6.17 Teraflops) would also likely still fall short.

Would it match a Geforce 1070? Hell no. That's a good 50% to twice as fast than the RX 480 in most benchmarks, if not more.
    But it's faster than the 1060, RX 480.

Plus that "Console Optimization" is countered by the fact the machine is running a shit CPU. And it's RAM is shared. 12GB is for the OS, Drivers, API's, Game, Graphics, Sound, Networking, Background tasks. Everything.

On a decent gaming PC System Ram is 16Gb and GPU's are trending towards 6-8GB for 22GB-24GB combined. I don't care how much optimization you throw around, most decent gaming PC's have roughly twice the memory to play with overall. That makes a difference in the grand scheme of things.

12. yaphax

yaphax Member

I think if they have consoles with this kind of power + native keyboard and mouse support, I would definitely be interested - purely because I could then play games with many friends who play on consoles. I'm saying this as someone who really doesn't like consoles and has played on PC his whole life...

Don't think we'll see native keyboard + mouse support in any shooters on consoles though... there'd be too much backlash from console players getting owned by anyone average or better using keyboard + mouse.

13. OP
    OP
    kot0005

kot0005 Member

LOl I take back everything....guna wait and see how they approach this platform. Apparently Destiny 2 will be capped at 4k 30fps.. one step forward and 2 steps back.

14. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

well at the end of the day, it's still a console with more computing power, 6 Teraflops is that great to he honest for 4K 60hz, 1080Ti packing 11.3 Teraflops and it struggling with 4k@60Hz. Obviously the optimisation etc. on consoles will help, but it's not that great to eliminate 5 Teraflops of computing power.

Xbox X will rely on new big titles, meaning "best graphics, best visual experience" these will be all AAA, performance demanding games. Games like these will have to be 4K, 30fps capped.

Thing like some racing sims, FIFA, NHL will most likely run 4K@60fps, everything else will be either upscaled to 4K, capped @ 30fps or the graphic side will get heavily downgraded in the favor of 60fps as this seems to be the new thing.

I still remember the BS, with current console generation "cinematic experience" aka we cannot squeeze 60 frames, let's cap at 30fps and let the marketing department come with some BS for the end customer. Anyone with half a brain (or high refresh rate monitor) had a really good laugh on it.

15. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

The biggest thing is that game devs can optimise to 1 spec instead of pc which has many.. There will be times games will run better on Xbox one X then a 1070 and beyond and itl suck balls but that's how it is.

Luckily no need for me to buy xbox X as the exclusives I play now all come to pc.

... But I'll still want one.

16. darknebula

darknebula Member

With all this talk of 4K i haven't really seen how and how much it is going to benefit those of us who haven't upgraded to 4K yet. Still happy playing Xbox using my 1080p projector on a 125" screen and don't plan to upgrade to 4k anytime soon.

17. power

power Member

the machine was always targeting 4K/30 - the CPU can't hope to keep up. And when they hit 60 and 4k it'll be racing games and things like that - everything else will be up-scaled, dynamic res and checkerboard.

The PS4 Pro, and XBX are both FauxK devices.

PC is where the real 4K lives.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  18. bart5986

bart5986 Member

In the old days devs would make console specific engines that ran horrible on PC's.

These days performance is about the same with the main benefit developers have on console is being able to tweak the settings to look the best for the hardware.

On PC we only have set video options, we can't tell the game to reduce the render distance because our CPU can't handle it when there's no view distance setting...

4k on the Xbox One X is basically a joke as its technically impossible without reducing graphical settings or cheating on 4k.

If your GPU performs at a certain way at 1080p and you ask it to run in 4k its going to run at a set fps, there is no magic trick to improve performance without reducing quality, like the PS4 Pro 4k.

19. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

I agree with what you are saying but consoles seem to pull some magic off at times, and even though console games are developed in x86 etc there has still been some terrible ports come over current gen.

4k/30fps shouldnt be an issue with the power it has + benefit of 100% optimisation to hardware spec..

4k/60 yeah I struggle to see how games like battlefront II would do that..

Well yes, but it aint cheap

20. power

power Member

not the point :)