[WORKLOG] X1000

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by deluxe, Aug 11, 2012.

1. juzz86

juzz86 Member

The AirPlex stuff is very good, but it needs a good fan to push enough air through - was too loud for me, went back to an SR1.

Made beautifully though, they do a version with two separate loops in the one radiator, too. Worth the money on fit and finish alone :thumbup:

2. OP
    OP
    deluxe

deluxe Member

Interesting.. what size did you use? what sort of fans?

3. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Had a 280, untreated Aluminium - no fancy gear on it. Second-hand, but lovely bit of kit.

I tried a lot of fans on it: NoiseBlocker, CoolerMaster, Noctua, BitFenix, NZXT, EVGA (stock case fans), Thermaltake. Plan was to use it for CPU and GPU on an older machine (3770, GTX680).

They're a strange bit of kit to run in practice. They need a high static-pressure fan at a reasonable speed to get enough flow through, as they're a dense, thick fin arrangement (~65mm deep), despite being only about 8 FPI (your SR1s are about 7 FPI). They're packed like a heat pump heat exchanger, rather than a car - big tubes.

It was very loud in pull as I needed to run the fans flat-out to get enough air through - so don't recommend a pull-only arrangement (my usual for a low-FPI roof radiator). In push it was quieter, but I wasn't overly happy with the load coolant temp under the 'best' fan (Thermaltake Riing v1). Got to about 50C - bit too warm for my comfort level.

Swapping the rad over to a 280 SR1 with everything else the same dropped the coolant 10C, which I was happy with.

Not knocking the radiator at all - I obviously wasn't using it properly - but I put loops in for temps AND noise, so it didn't fit for me mate :thumbup:

4. OP
    OP
    deluxe

deluxe Member

I'm surprised to read that tbh, would have thought AC would be all over it :confused:

I wonder if the copper fin version would be much better.

Pretty sure they're 9fpi ?

5. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Not entirely convinced I wasn't doing something wrong either to be honest - I just prefer lower fan speeds, which didn't work out so well with the big tubes - gaps smaller than on other low-FPI rads.

Correct, 9 FPI, sorry :thumbup:

6. OP
    OP
    deluxe

deluxe Member

I don't suppose you still have it?

7. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Nah, passed it on mate sorry.

8. Tazor

Tazor Member

Man I miss the Lian-Li and Silverstone behemoths of old... Good to see one still kicking around... What's the custom case plan you mentioned? Got any renders of what you're planning?

9. kooliez

kooliez Member

Agreed... They don't make enthusiast cases like they used to...

My Mrs rig is sitting in a Lian-Li PC-v1100B that we've had now since the early 2000's... Its been pretty heavily modified to take a number of large radiators and associated gear... I recently got a TT Core X71 and whilst it's been much easier to work with because it has dedicated mounting for rads, pumps etc, it simply fails to deliver that sense of quality that the Lian Li case does. Granted, the PC-V1100B cost over $400 new, but that's money exceptionally well spent when you consider that it was bought for a rig containing am Opteron 165, nForce 4 Ultra board and a pair of Geforce 7800GT's... it's been through HEAPS of hardware iterations over the past 10+ years now housing an x79 Xeon setup...

10. kooliez

kooliez Member

Oh - ps - Your rig is looking awesome, and if you want some original black Lian Li 5.25" bay covers, send me a PM... I have 7 spares and you're welcome to two of them to fill that hole in the front of your case if you want them.