1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

X1900XT a waste of money?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by alcanaro, Jul 16, 2006.

1. vortexkrow

vortexkrow Member

It should run fine, the picture quality will mostly actually increase

2. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

No ATI is worth getting. I got a 1600pro, and ATI drivers BLOW ass. I swear to god im never buying an ATI product ever again.

3. Shadow27

Shadow27 Member

Ati Traytools FTW. Don't worry about the CCC.

4. FLB

FLB Member

That inquirer article is pretty much FUD without any real info to back it up.

But for the record NV support 16/32 bit precision and have done since the FX5800 and on. ATI are either 24bit only for all R3xx & R4xx cards (9700, X800 etc) & 32bit only for X1K series cards. They offer no lower precision level.

The argument being raised is that Nvidia are locking their drivers from displaying 32bit precision by automatically dropping precision to 16bit for added speed. Now they used to do this at times with the shitty FX range of cards because they needed to as ATI was the better tech. But with the 6800 & now 7800/7900 range they don't need to do it automatically but they still do in some places, as can developers choose where to use partial precision (16bit). But not being able to use 32bit precision at all is a load of crap, as if that were the case you would see nothing but colour banding etc when complex shadrers are in use whilst playing on NV cards compared to ATI.

Anyhow thats enuff of me being OT. :)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2006
  5. vortexkrow

vortexkrow Member

Rofl obviously you have no clue. You judge on one low end card? I mean if i was ATi i wouldnt really bother making "great" drives for the 1600pro. You get what u pay for.

6. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Yeah, if i was ATI i wouldn't make drives at all.

ATI's website is so crap. I clicked on drivers for vista, then it asks me if i want drivers for vista. GOOD ONE.

And it needs to run the same Process 3 times? CLI.exe

And Catalyst... Is the worst program ever. If nVidia sucked, i would rather nVidia to ATI's pathetic excuse for software.

7. FLB

FLB Member

You don't need to run the CCC at all, so no instances of CLI.exe, if you want to run the CCC you can get rid of one instance of cli.exe by turning off the ati tray icon. You can tweak it further to remove another cli.exe, but in the end ati traytools works well as a replacement.

8. technophiliac

technophiliac Member

the 16bit thing is nothing but a rumour... it is a rumour cos its just a bunch of text on a website that says what someone 'alleges' to be so...
    this is a rumour... i wouldnt take stupid rumours like this too seriously as they obviously have been created by ATi cheap skates like astroboy777 who cant afford a REAL card like a geforce 7950 gx2 and create lies and try to believe lies like these in order to make themselves feel satisfied with their cheaper inferior graphics card

9. vortexkrow

vortexkrow Member

Rofl i find it so funny as why people think its a fair and balance comparing a x1900XT to a 7950Gx2

Lets see.
    X1900XT Single Core, One card, 512mb, Not much heat.
    48 pixel shader processors, 8 Vert and 16 Pipelines.

7950gx2 TWO CORES, TWO CARDS 256mb each, lots of heat with two GPUS.

Each core
    512mb GDR3 24 pixel pipes, 8 vertex shaders,

Now put together u get 1g GDR3 48 Pixel pipes, and 16 vertex shaders.

SO its fair and balanced of saying that one card is SOOO SHIT because it gets the shit kicked out of it by a card which is 2 CARDS IN ONE.

Lets see if there was a card of the x1900XT series that had 2 cores, Thats a FAIR and balance.

Seriously get a life and get a grip of reality.

10. guwarkjay888

guwarkjay888 Member

Mate i reckon you got no idea what your talking about, and that astroboy777 has alot more of graphic card knowledge than you do, so stop whining. People can just say the same about you mate, your just a nVidia fan boy that thinks your card is the almighty. Like the post above, if X1900XT had two cores, you'd be too embarrassed to even speak of the 7950 GX2.

11. vortexkrow

vortexkrow Member

Whats wrong with you dude...wait i know..your mentally think your correct in anything you dispute in againt someone or anything...i bet your one of those people who always think their right, and ur very bias and dont give the opposition a fair chance because you dont even take the slightest notice of any agurement nor even give it a good look at.

Now what u got to say mate?

Oh and you know...your also one of those people who make THEMSELFS believe what they ACTUALLY want to believe whats right and but not whats actually CORRECT.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2006
  12. technophiliac

technophiliac Member

you could only get the cheaper ati card and you want everyone to think its the best so you yourselves can believe that.
    By doing so you have to belittle me and nvidia and you all do it with those immature teenage brat antics... yep, the type you can expect from an ATi kid who just blew all his bday money on an x1900xt...
    everything you've written to me so far is complete garbage and pointless... its quite obvious that I just simply have become a target for little ATi no-gooders who want to spread rubbish ATi propaganda and will do whatever they can to aggravate me and change the perception people have of nvidia...

13. vortexkrow

vortexkrow Member

HAHA rofl, first immature teenage brat?? lol and second

"you could only get the cheaper ati card and you want everyone to think its the best so you yourselves can believe that."

Nice try but theres no such sterotype and it doesnt even make sense.

"yep, the type you can expect from an ATi kid who just blew all his bday money on an x1900xt..."

Rofl sorry but i worked for it...wow your terrible, go learn real psychology.Also blew his money? I did not waste my money, ive managed to get a better score than someone with a x4400 and 2x7800GT leadteks in SLi and a better score than someone with a x1800XT 512mb and a FX-60 DUAL CORE @ 3ghz.

Obviously you dont know your stuff...May i direct you to the Newbie forums?

"everything you've written to me so far is complete garbage and pointless... "
    Everything ive written to you....i have beaten you and snacked you...but seen your the type thats always right...and 100% bias... everything anyone says is "garbage" and "pointless"

Wow i even see more depth of you.

"its quite obvious that I just simply have become a target for little ATi no-gooders who want to spread rubbish ATi propaganda and will do whatever they can to aggravate me and change the perception people have of nvidia..."

You have really figured it out and reframed everything so negatively you cant see from wrong or right..only want you want to see.

"By doing so you have to belittle me and nvidia and you all do it with those immature teenage brat antics"

rofl

14. AMD64

AMD64 Member

jesus christ both of you are as bad as each other

yes a 7950GX2 is BETTER then a x1900xtx GET OVER IT

yes a x1900xtx is more afforable / cheaper GET OVER IT

yes the article about nvidia only doing 16bit WAS BS GET THE FUCK OVER IT

15. budzilla

budzilla Member

Actually it's 2 (7900GT) cards of 512MB each. Yes it is faster than a 1900XTX. I'm not too sure if it is faster than 2 1900XTXs in crossfire.

16. OP
    OP
    alcanaro

alcanaro Member

I dont think you can crossfire 2 X1900XTXs, only a X1900XT and a master X1900 crossfire card :confused:

But if you could, I bet it would be faster :lol:

17. cassius

cassius Member

That is correct..

You can Crossfire a x1900 mastercard and an x1900xtx. One of mates has this setup and works well. Runs with an AMD4400 and 2GB RAM.

18. Jarnzie

Jarnzie Member

nivdia lost it for me. crap drivers, crap quality cards, no where as good in the image quality department. I've had 3 nvidia card die on me, and ati have all purred allong nicely.

If someone came up to my and offered an ati x1900xtx, and a nvidia 7950 gx2, I would still go for the ati. even though its slower, I know that the images are better. if I said nvidia, I would always be worried that it would blow from past cards. Plus ati have always been better at higher resolutions and higher AA and AF settings.

My option to you Alcanaro, is go for the X1900 card. some people say they have crap drivers, but there are other programs and methods to fix/work around the problem if you find one. And so they are a bit slow, I'd rather have something that went 200FPS and looked great than something that went 220FPS and looked average.

You could buy a X1900 MASTER CARD first. once it starts to lag in the game, get a slave card to boost the performance. 1 X1900 would go nicely on a 19" monitor, but I would suggest more for a 2407 because it runs at 1900x1200 res.

And for my final piece, both card makers have their good point and bad points, its really all up to personal preference

19. budzilla

budzilla Member

Oops, my bad.

20. SirNemesis

SirNemesis Member

Depends what games you want to play on the dell 24". My x1900xtx is adequate on my 2405 @ 1920x1200 for pretty well everything.