X470 taichi ultimate issues and now no POST

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by ferretcloud, Nov 7, 2018 at 2:00 PM.

1. ferretcloud

ferretcloud Member

sorry for long read

I picked up the board from here on the forums w/ a 2700X.

Using with my existing 2x8G GSkill 3600 @ 3400 for stability... ( relevant to VRM temps perhaps )

evo supremacy and galax 1080Ti HOF with block.
    idle temps reprorted as 33-40 on cpu and 20-21 on gpu ( 2x280 rads ).

I then plumbed a new WC loop into it and aside from what I believe to be normal 2700X temp concerns, it was running fine for this last week.
    idle temps reprorted as 33-40 on cpu and 20-21 on gpu ( 2x280 rads ).

Fine until yesterday / day before , when I picked up RotTR game and started playing it.

Suddenly, a psu power off happened while playing RotTR.

I immediately unplugged everything and began looking for a leak..
    nothing..

Ran the loop for another hour or two ( no power to the board ) using a jump started psu.. seemed fine..

So plugged all back in and booted up.
    Everything seemed normal, smashed a few hours of BF1 and skyrim, then went back to RotTR.
    Another poweroff.. :/

Thought it was temps this time, so I opened the case and threw a few more fans in there inc a 40cm desk fan on full ( just pointed at the board / VRMs )

hwinfo showed under game load showed
    vrms ~ 50
    mobo 38
    cpu 40
    gpu 40
    etc ( so nothing to worry about )

The poweroffs happened a few more times as I was attempting to troubleshoot ( always when playing RotTR)
    Eventvwr had nothing to say other than restarted rom a power off...

Then yesterday, the board just doesn't post ( this happened after the latest hard power off )
    When psu is turned on - board will light up w/ all leds etc.
    When powered on via switch, all fans start spinning, WC pump is engaged, but nothing happens... no debug leds.

Ive reset cmos and replaced battery, swapped out ram..

only-thing left is to breadboard by draining and stripping the loop, before Im left with RMAing something ?

any thoughts?

thanks!

2. museumman

museumman Member

on a plane with cocaine & yes im all lit up again
    I had 2 x Strix B350s that did that, power off while BF4ing. downclocked ram and then bam, no post. Dead VRMs. Debug lights up and just sat. RMA'd.

3. asho444

asho444 Member

have you tried a different power supply?

4. OP
    OP
    ferretcloud

ferretcloud Member

yeah - two ( although both are the same model ) 650W platinum aerocool project 7 . I also have a eVGA G2 750W that i was planning on using for the build initially - but I never ran any serious load through it...

I'm baffled as to why its just RotTR though?
    Maybe its execution pattern goes harder on RAM that the other games? But even still, there wasnt one temp on the board > 65 through all this testing.

My wattmeter at the wall showed that RotTR did draw ~30-80 more watts than the other games I tested, but still maxed out @ 380W.
    Nowhere near the capacity.

only thing left is to totally pull all power cables and try the eVGA G2 750W - one last time...
    (reason im not using it is because i dont have a molex cable for it and need to power the pump )

5. OP
    OP
    ferretcloud

ferretcloud Member

interesting you mention the downclock. it did lose the XMP setting on the poweroffs, however I attributed that to a known issue with the bios on the board. 1.50 for the X470 taichi ultimate ( fixed in the beta bios - but nfw im running a beta bios :/ )

6. OP
    OP
    ferretcloud

ferretcloud Member

ok so stripped it all down. stock HS/fan back on - 4G dimm + rx550 gpu and it boots and appears normal now..

could have been some residual current ..

ill test the ram later , but will also need to rebuild the loop as I dont ahve stock fans for the gpu... :/