x58a-UD7/980X not posting

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by blackied, Nov 16, 2019.

1. blackied

blackied Member

Hi All,

I had a server on an intel 3420 server board running a x3440 that was struggling, so I decided to try replacing it with the above MB/CPU combo that I bought off the forums some three years ago but never got around to using. Spent the last few hours dismantling and reassembling and have it ready to go. However, when I turn it on, it doesn't post. I just starts running for ~20s, then dies, then gets in the loop powering on for 4-5s and dying again.

Given it's all so old and I just had it stored for so long, I'm aware something could have just died, but I can't really afford to replace it just yet, and I'm not looking forward to trying to pull it all apart to put the old setup back in. So, I'm hoping people might have some suggestions on resurrecting it.

Notes:
    - No beep codes
    - only LEDS lit up are phase LEDS. Voltage/Overclock/Temp are off
    - Tried with just CPU/1 RAM/no cards and same thing
    - Debug LED display reads the following:
    C1
    C3
    C1
    C3
    C1 (there's a few that flash too fast among all this)
    but then settles on 88 (which my current research says is bad)
    - 600w PSU
    - Silverstone AIO water cooler CPU

Any ideas? Am I screwed?

2. AfterBurner1

AfterBurner1 Member

Hmm, could be a few things,
    1) the RAM DIMM channel can be rather funny sometimes on the older gigabyte boards, (try every slot).
    2) Cooler/CPU mounting pressure(too tightly screwed down?) /TIM(thermal paste) (worse comes to worse check the socket pins and CPU BGA for schmutz)
    3)VRM/MOSFETs/NB-SB might have been bashed up in storage/whenever. check the state of the thermal pads, some models had awfully crap pads and bad contact.
    4) ATX 4/8 Pin, ATX 24 PIN and additional power cables, check for jumper config, CMOS battery status, SATA/PATA port/jumper (some boards dont colour differentiate)
    5) PSU cabling, modular or not I've seen some PSUs be darn difficult when one wire is slightly torqued. perhaps make sure it's pulling from different rails if running a few other devices from it. if in doubt try another.
    6) PCG socket compatibility, some of the earlier boards can be darn picky and will only work with Quad core i7 970 (as i recall that was the highest quad) even if the board was supported with a later BIOS revision that enabled westmere support (32nm, Hexacores) some just would fight you for no good reason.

check the retention plate for the CPU/cooler on the back too sometimes they can foul on backside mounted components or jam a touch.

3. de_overfiend

de_overfiend Member

error 88 is usually dead cpu or bios not supporting cpu or not enough power/bad power connection to motherboard or bad psu

reseat cpu and check for burns/shorts... also reseat the power cables to mobo and ensure you have power to the 8 pin power connector

4. mthien

mthien Member

I've come across this problem before - and eventually found out it was a dying PSU.

Try using another PSU.

5. OP
    OP
    blackied

blackied Member

Thanks for the suggestions people. I'll do a little more digging into things later - I am wanting to check that I mounted the 980 correctly at the least. In the meantime I've put the old system back into play, and ordered a x3470 off aliexpress. That should hopefully give me a 15-20% boost on current performance levels and get me out of trouble for the moment. I think longer term I'll start looking towards a x79/2680 setup anyhow.

6. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Make sure there are no bent CPU pins or pins that look bit misaligned or out of place. Notorious on used X58 boards that have been handled without care and a common problem.