X99 mITX NCASE M1 - Project MiniValidus

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by d33g33, Nov 30, 2014.

1. d33g33

d33g33 Member

Hi guys,

After recently selling my very liquid cooled R4 (thread here) I am moving onto the next project.

It wont be too crazy but with some light modding work for a bit of individuality. It has a bit of a troubled personality this PC, I did want to go silly, Titan Z's were $1600 which was very tempting but while i'll use it for gaming initially (while I prep for a X99 build) really it will be used as a tidy little desktop in a common area of the house, so it has to be built accordingly.

PARTS
    Case: NCASE M1
    GPU: Asus Strix GTX980
    CPU: Intel 4790k Intel 5820k
    Motherboard: Asus Z97i-plus ASRock X99E-ITX/ac
    Memory: 2x8gb Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866mhz Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x8gb @ 2400Mhz
    PSU: Silverstone SX600-G
    Storage: Crucial M550 512gb M.2 Samsung SM951 256gb M.2
    Cooling: Corsair H100i

So with the intro out of the way on with the build, a heap of parts have been ordered so I should have some updates come in over the next couple of weeks.

Firstly the case.

I was stoked I managed to get hold of a NCASE M1 v2,
    [​IMG]

And the most significant thing about this case its its teeny tiny size. Its literally a shoebox... (iPhone 5C for comparison, I didn't have any bananas handy at the time)
    [​IMG]

GPU should arrive tomorrow! So i'll take some photo's then :)
    Thanks for stopping by for a look.
    DfknG

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  2. aarondc

aarondc Member

:thumbup:

Nicely lit.

3. OP
    OP
    d33g33

d33g33 Member

Hey guys so just a little update and some more pictures.

GPU arrived! A mate of mine was on his way back from USA so I managed to get him to wrangle this into his luggage so I didn't have to pay shipping. $579 USD instead of $860 AUD, it's crazy some of our prices...

here's a quick look at the GPU, An Asus Strix GTX980. Apparently there are some issues around getting the Strix GTX970 into the NCASE but the GTX980 is a bit thinner in the right places.

[​IMG]

Really looking forward to starting this build over the Christmas break and seeing what it can do on air, then it will get a teardown and mods and then we will can see what it will do when its running a bit.. cooooooler... :)

Thanks for stopping by!
    DeeG

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  4. OP
    OP
    d33g33

d33g33 Member

Hi everyone, so pretty much all the core components are in!

Sit back, here's a few photos for you!

So the CPU, an Intel 4790k, Vietnam made. I will be benching this, then delidding and lapping the CPU and then retesting. I'm looking forward to these results.
    If you've seen 1 CPU box, you've pretty much seen em all.
    [​IMG]

Next the motherboard! Its an Asus Z97i-Plus. I kinda wish they did a Pro/Deluxe like what they did with the Z87 series with the big power delivery but really, I guess it doesn't matter. (I could have got a Z87 but that colour scheme, Yuk!)
    [​IMG]

16gb 1866mhz Dominator Platinums, so unnecessary, really when you think how closed in the PC will be but, I got them really cheap from the US compared to Australia and just knowing they are in there, damn they look good.
    [​IMG]

Storage will be a 512gb Crucial M550 M.2 Disk. This is still a Sata 6 disk so it wont be the fastest disk ever but it will be plenty fast enough. Really I went M.2 so I can mount it to the underside of the motherboard, perhaps inconvenient placement but very space saving and, no sata power/data cabling!
    [​IMG]

Nice and small :)
    [​IMG]

Finally for this post is the PSU, a Silverstone SX600-G. It isn't getting the best reputation at the moment with some noise on start up, hopefully I am lucky and don't have the issue, If I do i'll hack in a workaround.
    [​IMG]

That's probably enough for now, :) I have the mouse and keyboard left, I am waiting to see what the pricing will be on the Dell U3415

Thanks for stopping by :)

5. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

Well, I sure hope so. Yep, OK, Cool - so you've bought a few parts, then 3 weeks later you bought some more... so, what next?

The overload of photos really makes the thread load really slow, plus for me it is as boring as batshit. I personally don't think that 3 photos of a dented outer carton, including one titled "Unboxed, Box and case side-by-side" are very interesting. I also don't reckon you need to waste bandwidth with 3 photos of a standard Intel processor box (thankfully none of the actual chip), FIVE almost identical photos of a couple of sticks of RAM (plus 3 MORE of the packaging), 5 photos of a video card box, etc.

At the end of the day these are all just stock-standard components in stock-standard retail cartons, and we all know what cardboard cartons look like. The respective manufacturer's websites, Google images and numerous online review sites contain plenty of professional photos of this stuff, if people want to see images of stock-standard components.

This is Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Modding > Modding Worklogs... and I'm pretty sure it is not intended for advertising (what is 'Dee Gee Designs' anyway?).

Your previous R4 thread was pretty good, so we are all waiting to see your Modding talents here. :thumbup: ;)

6. OP
    OP
    d33g33

d33g33 Member

MiniValidus - Work Log

I've been really enjoying taking these photos and playing with different settings but,

I'll take that onboard.

7. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

That is extremely obvious, and it is also obvious that you are excited about all your new and expensive purchases. However this is supposed to be a BUILD LOG, not an amateur photography gallery.

Please don't take offence - my comments are made to improve your thread.

And for the record, I am like many other people who don't like "unboxing videos" either. Who bloody well cares what the carton looks like?
    - It's the product inside that matters, sheesh. :lol:

8. OP
    OP
    d33g33

d33g33 Member

Sorry the3coopers

Couldn't help it, really love my new keyboard to!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Rezin

Rezin Member

What's the keyboard model?

(OT: I saw this one today: http://i.imgur.com/I6SVZ90.gifv ... I was thinking about trying to put some EL strips under my Das keys, but... bit too much work, I think)

10. OP
    OP
    d33g33

d33g33 Member

It's a Ducky Legend with MX Browns n

11. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

That is awesome - is it real?

12. mnpctech

mnpctech Member

Great choice, Ncase look really nice!

13. OP
    OP
    d33g33

d33g33 Member

Of course, though funny Ducky don't really promote it. It's just a text written function on their product page. Corsair keyboards do it as well but I don't really see the point in RGB for me.

14. OP
    OP
    d33g33

d33g33 Member

So I had this custom test bench made up a while ago but I never had the opportunity to use it until now, I'm a sucker for low volume/unpopular items so This test bench is 1 of 2 made out of Delrin/Acetel.

Just some pictures of the Test Bench :) This is just the raw cut Delrin, it will get a coat of plastidip shortly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And all the parts ready to go together
    [​IMG]

The building is near!

15. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

I gotta say, i like it in its raw state:thumbup:

16. OP
    OP
    d33g33

d33g33 Member

Thanks its quite a unique piece. The issue is the surface isn't nice to look at and while being moved around and packed away it has corroded somehow in some places, si Ill need to fill that and cover it. At least with PlastiDip I can remove it easily if I need/want to

Photos of corrosion.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. OP
    OP
    d33g33

d33g33 Member

So its all together, I did a time lapse as I built it on the test bench, no DOA's (yay)

Also just knocked in a quick OC on the 980 Strix, gotta say, i'm impressed.

Both my GTX670 and 780Ti had coil whine like a bitch, this card is SO QUIET and its on an open test bench right next to me.

I'll probably leave it here for now +200 on the core no over voltage, 125% TDP, will experiment more once its on water. 1518mhz and stable.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  18. OP
    OP
    d33g33

d33g33 Member

Looks like i've been really lucky with this build.

Starting to dial in the OC and the CPU seems to be a winner! 5ghz @ 1.285v

[​IMG]

http://valid.canardpc.com/tkueis

19. OP
    OP
    d33g33

d33g33 Member

Hi all, I thought I'd have a go at a VLOG for this project, moved into a new place so momentum should be quick from here. Delidding and lapping to come next.

20. OP
    OP
    d33g33

d33g33 Member

Hello all,

apologies for such a delay but i'm happy to announce some progress!

Now lets kick things into high gear and stop dragging this build out eh?

I had some time on the weekend so decided to delid and lap the 4790k. Its 'risky' business but after delidding my 3770k I couldn't not do the 4790k

What is delidding? Well its where you separate the metal plate called an IHS(integrated heat spreader) on top of the CPU and replace the thermal compound between the CPU die on the CPU and the IHS.

What is lapping? It is where you take the IHS and sand it perfectly flat to maximize metal to metal contact between the IHS and the CPU cooler.

So with that out of the way I used the 'vice only' method, the CPU PCB on one jaw of the vice and the IHS on the other jaw, slowly slowly and off it came (took a video) Sorry no photos.

I used the corner of some plastic packaging and TIM remover and wiped the PCB clean of glue.

[​IMG]

Next, we tackle it with some Wet/Dry sandpaper, I tape it down to a piece of glass as that gives me an extremely flat surface.

600grit, you can see that the outer edge is the highspot on this CPU's IHS.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next onto 800grit, farewell any CPU markings.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It also picked up a very low sheen already
    [​IMG]

Next onto 1200grit
    [​IMG]

Can almost make it out :p
    [​IMG]

Finally 1500grit and its looking smexy, you could go to 2000grit for a high polish but I stopped here.
    [​IMG]

BLING!
    [​IMG]

Was it worth it? Well it wasn't as good as what I got out of the 3770k but, the 3770k was a very bad temp chip and this 4790k has been pretty good.
    [​IMG]

Strangely my idle temps are higher now, but load temps average nearly 12degrees cooler!

Thanks for stopping by again! Apparently I have some gifts in the mail so I'll be sure to update when they arrive but next weekend, we have some painting to do ;)

Made a video of the delidding process.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015