Xavi Bou - bird trails and quick attempt at replication

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by oculi, Mar 11, 2019.

1. oculi

oculi Member

A while ago I came across the work of Spanish Photographer Xavi Bou who takes "multiple exposure" photos of birds flying, which produces interesting patterns.

[​IMG]

http://www.xavibou.com/index.php/project/ornitographies/

I looked at a few of his photos and thought "that looks kinda cool" then got bored with them. I have been doing more video than stills for the last few years and recently had to work out how to export image sequences from video, the other day there were lots of birds flying around a tree - so here is the result of several minutes in paint.net

[​IMG]

This is from a 1920 X 1080 video at 25FPS, I'd guess he is working at 200FPS or so. I combined the individual photos using "difference" blend, i'm sure he has a more elaborate method.

I'm limited to 1280 X 720 @50FPS but don't think i'll try birds again, this technique is pretty useful for motion studies etc though.

has this forum section got deader recently?

die_piggy likes this.
  2. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

That's really cool. Looks like he must test the shutter speed he is using to capture these to kind of blend the movement of the bird in a way that works at super high speed?

Really like the example you pulled together though. Would be fun to explore, see some great things done like this. I just love how it takes something you see all the time and creates something a little unexpected with it.

As for the forum, indeed the contributions are down big time. Not sure if people in general are just not capturing as much or have the time to share it. I know I only really have time for my wedding work, but still love all aspects of photography :D

oculi likes this.
  3. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Interesting.
    Here is my first attempt at something similar over 10 years ago, which I managed to achieve with a single exposure. ;)

[​IMG]Flight paths

4. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Interesting patterns? That's unreal.

5. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

I have a pretty solid theory on how I achieved the result which relies on a combination of chance, physics, trigonometry, optics, and biology.

Derfman likes this.