Xbox All Access - now coming to AU via Telstra.

Discussion in 'Microsoft Consoles' started by power, Aug 28, 2018.

1. power

power Member

Desperation or smart?

Gotta get those subs going!

upload_2018-8-28_8-32-59.png

2. MrBS

MrBS Member

A better deal than most phone plans these days and great option for those who want to pick up everything included hassle free without the upfront cost.

3. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

I think it's smart. Evidently there is a large market of people who will buy electronics that they will upgrade every few years (phones) and the same upgrade cycle could easily apply to game consoles so I think applying a similar pay it off over 24 months system could be popular. Just depends on the value. Game Pass is an excellent service, and being able to walk into a shop, and hand over 0 money, and walk out with the ability to play 100+ solid games could be something that appeals to customers. Them continuing to release major first party titles on day 1 freely to game pass means you could have your console just as a subscription service and play a lot of great games but without ever having bought a physical copy.
    It's great for MS as well if popular as there are no second hand titles to compete with when no one actually owns the physical games.
    Also consider that they're likely bringing out a very cheap streaming only console. The monthly fee on that should be pretty tiny so for appropriate markets you could have very cheap access to a lot of games. (shit for Aus obviously).

Already have an xbonex so no use to me, but I am subbed to live and game pass so if in a year or two they release an xbonexxx I'd certainly look at how much extra a month it would cost me to sub for a console as well. I suspect it will still be cheaper to hunt for a good deal and buy outright (and buying a full year of live gold at a cheaper price).

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  4. trippyfoo

trippyfoo Member

I guess the million dollar question would be if it's released in Australia . . The dollars..
    I'm going to hazard a guess. For the X .. it would be about$50pm?
    So over two years it's $1200 . Not a bad deal if you are a keen gamer
    Though as mentioned earlier by gregpolk that it might be cheaper if you shopped around.. I'm inclined to agree.though you do save a bit of time for the convenience.

Again, good to have options out there.

Shall be interesting to see if it rolls out onto the next gen machines.

5. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

sounds like a pretty terrible deal to moi

https://www.news.com.au/technology/...icxdD_72pZyPO44ziLoFiFZwrGw7adES-wz-5cN-9rH8U

in other news, they'd bloody well want to offer an "upgrade path" if you could call it that. it's a rental/subscription model after all. plenty of fine print but i can see this being popular, hey if you want to copy cable tv's model you gotta provide a set top box right?

https://www.destructoid.com/xbox-al...-you-upgrade-to-project-scarlett-570780.phtml

this bit is weird and appears to be US centric at this point in time i guess we will see how the Telstra model works.

sounds like a mobile phone plan!

6. MrBS

MrBS Member

Standard mobile plan but not too much value

3 months of xbox gold ulimate is $48, two years $192 + $459 for an X your looking at $842.60 vs $912 at $38 for two years.

Also at the moment you have a promotion at JB to get xbox ultimate six months for the price of three for the next week which would bring the cost down to $650.80. This deal is getting worse all the time!

PS I was going to pull the trigger on some half price xbox ultimate but between that sweet conversion deal and free codes I'm still at the max three year limit. See you in Oct 2022!

7. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

Looks like another trap for people to buy crap they can’t afford.