xbox and lcd monitor

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by BobJustBob, Dec 21, 2017.

1. BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

someoene i know is dumping an original xbox. connects to tv via rca cables. my tv has those so i can just hook it up as normal. not an issue. i don't want to do that. instead i'd like to have it near my pc which means connecting to an lcd. i think this would do the trick, but would like confirmation if possible. i mean it has the correct input ports and the out is hdmi which would go to my lcd and for sound i'd just plug small speakers or headphones straight into the converter box.

2. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Yes, that will work fine.

I use something similar that takes SCART and converts it into HDMI. Allows me to plug in all manner of retro into a modern panel.

Note that a 50Hz signal converted to 60Hz and vice-versa will result in some visible frame skip. If the unit has a push button to toggle between 50Hz and 60Hz output modes, that will resolve it.

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Hopefully not confusing the issue, but the original XBox also did component out, with 480p signals (some higher).

[​IMG]

Out of the hundreds (maybe even thousands) of XBox games, only about a dozen didn't support 480p (and they were all forgettable). Going into a high definition digital display, 480p will give you a much nicer picture than the 480i that comes out of a composite signal.

What that means, however, is buying component cables, and a component to DVI/HDMI converter to go with it.

4. OP
    OP
    BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

found some such cables on the cheap. (no doubt quality is too)
    looked for converter and found one but with no separate sound. my lcd does not have speakers (rightly so) so i require one with a jack port like the one above. i'll look some more, but if someone knows....

5. elvis

For 480p the cheap ones are fine.

Component has five cables all up - three cables for picture, two for audio.

Just connect your three picture cables to the converter and get HDMI out from there. Plug your audio cables direct into some speakers, and bypass the converter all together.

6. OP
    OP
    BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

okay, do you see any better ones? i'd like to see what better ones cost/look like.
    as far as i know, au boxes are PAL and in order to use the 480p/720p/1080p via xbox settings the box has to be modded and have some software hack or else the settings will never stick. the video explains it and it makes sense.
    i won't mod it, so i maybe i just use it as is? (the whole thing is supposed to be a cheap lol)

this is now a problem. i have no such speakers and if i did, it would mean moving things around. maybe if it works, i could/would insert the xbox cable red/white audio into a Y combiner that has the other end as a 3.5" jack and plug my headphones into that - assuming that would work.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  7. cvidler

cvidler Member

Mine runs 1080i for at least the launcher, as you say depends on the game for what happens in=game. but back in the day I used it as a media centre, so the 1080 was more beneficial for that.

8. elvis

No, all original XBox consoles can do 480p, regardless of region. No modding required. The limit is entirely on whether or not the developer put the code in the game to offer the higher resolutions.

Wikipedia have a good list of some of the games, and what extended resolution each supports:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_with_alternate_display_modes

PAL/NTSC only matters for SD resolutions:
    PAL by definition is 576i (interlaced)
    NTSC by definition is 480i (interlaced)

Component progressive signals (480p and up) aren't per-region colour space encoded (they're all YPbPr, which is neither what defines PAL nor NTSC colours), and aren't interlaced. ED/HD modes are universal.

Games that didn't support 480p modes will still work in lower resolutions (you can do 480i over component). Your PC monitor might not be able to display that low resolution, however (some can, some can't, depends on model).

Yes, the analogue signal that comes out of the red and white plugs of component video is the same impedance as 3.5mm headphone hacks. A simple 3.5mm to 2x RCA converter (should cost a couple of bucks at most, as it's all just copper wire and connectors, no electrical components inside) will let you connect it to regular "line in" stereo equipment.

1080i was the highest official supported resolution by the original XBox. There are even a handful of games that will run in that resolution (as well as 720p, 480p and SD resolutions mentioned above). However I strongly recommend people avoid interlaced modes, unless they are running on a CRT that can handle that resolution natively.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  9. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

This is getting complicated.

Just get an Xbox SCART cable and a SCART to HDMI converter then, that way not only is your audio is all through the one cable, but all video output is scaled up regardless of 480p/i or any other letter of the alphabet, so you can plug it into your amp or what-not like any normal piece of video hardware.

This also automatically covers you for RGB signals and Composite or S-Video signals.

Simples!

10. elvis

I don't think so. You want a good signal on an LCD, you want better resolution (as well as signal quality). Pretty simple.

Then you're limited to SD resolution, which will look horrible on an upscaled LCD.

I recommended an XBox Component cable with a Component to HDMI converter. Identical complexity to your solution (the OP doesn't have speakers on his monitor, so your solution doesn't help there either), but HD video signals will offer better pictures when upscaled to a modern LCD screen.

11. OP
    OP
    BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

i already ordered that cheap hd cable i linked.
    and (yay?) i found (seems) an hd box -with sound- now too. kinda pricey at 40usd for a silly side project though.
    i might get it after the next salvo(?) of replies. (if someone finds a cheaper one from a big seller please link it.)

now elvis, are you sure that the issue (at 3:00 on video) won't affect me? because if it does, and unless i mod, this hd part (cable/box) will not do anything. without modding my box, will i be able to go to the menu and have 480p/720p enabled and saved? (3:12 on video) if not, and this doesn't even have anything to do with conversion, that means even with normal hookup to tv, i will not be able to play at hd. is the guy wrong? he'd have to be. thoguh it would take me like 2 minutes to hook it up to tv and test that part. so after posting this, i will do just that. i will report back, but in the meantime, confirm that the new $40 box is "good" and if (before i have my actual results) xbox au versions do have a working menu that lets us select 720p and it saves it.

12. OP
    OP
    BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

hello? elvis?

anyway, BAD NEWS

stop press!! abort all ideas!!!

after posting i went to tv to hook up and drats, box ain't powering. so much for that. whatever it is it, it's solely from 10 years of just sitting in a cupboard doing nothing, unplugged. so i guess for fun and experience i will crack it open, see what's inside and maybe keep/use the hdd (i assume it's a regular 3.5") and/or cd rom. i don't know yet. :-(

13. elvis

AFAIK the resolution of XBox games is set by the developer of each game. Typically it's either an option you can select in-game, or it's a button you hold down at boot to force a particular mode. But it's on a per-game basis.

What the video is talking about is the video mod of the dashboard, which is a separate thing to my knowledge. I honestly don't even know why an XBox has a dashboard - it's so non-functional for that console. Just boot the game and play.

The PS2 was the same. The PS2 boot screen was always in PAL for a PAL console, and games that supported different modes would switch to them once the actual game part booted (or via options in menus per game). Some offered PAL at non-standard 60Hz (as opposed to the regular 50Hz), some 480p, 720p or even 1080i modes.

The original XBox has a particular capacitor inside that is known to leak and cause damage:

http://myoriginalxbox.weebly.com/capacitor-removal.html

First thing to do is locate that capacitor and check it to see if it leaked. If it did, attempt to clean it up with proper PCB cleaner or isopropyl alcohol, and from there attempt to fix any damage it did to nearby components or traces.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  14. OP
    OP
    BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

another roadblock!!

the screws are "torque" stars or such nonsense. so now i buy a set of new drivers for this one job? i went to my local reject shop (tee hee) and they don't sell them. if they had them for around $5 i would have gotten one. should i drill through the screws with a drill? i don't care, i'll do it. HELP!!!

okay, i checked ebay and i think found a cheap one worth getting for a buck. lists 360 but i assume works on original? eh, for a buck i'll get it anyway...

more b/s. so it's gonna be T10/15/20 Torx (not torque) so that's maybe $15.. nah, i'll just smash it open i think. i'll sleep on it..

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  15. nullb

nullb Member

The XBOX was able to do 720p and 1080i for XBMC and other such apps and some games. But you have to softmod it and switch the region to non-pal.
    Also the non official HD packs are pretty flimsy there's a good one on Amazon but they only ship to America :(

16. OP
    OP
    BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

for now, i am waiting on my torx set from ebay. when i get them, i'll open it and see if it's spilled acid or whatever, which i have my doubts about. i mean if it is, wouldn't it eat through and take chunks out of the board/circuits, making it practically useless? we'll see..