XBox codename "Scarlett"

Discussion in 'Microsoft Consoles' started by power, Jul 24, 2018.

1. boneburner

boneburner Member

Selling the sizzle, not the steak :lol:

2. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

People really have no idea. You dont need stupid amounts of speed. NBN100 is more than enough. Even NBN50 should be more than enough. Its latency to the datacentre which matters.

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

New specs look good. They appear to be taking a leaf out of the PS4 design with the faster bus approach, which I think is a good thing over something a bit more PC like that puts a larger emphasis on balls out CPU/GPU speed, but slow RAM IO.

I flip flop between Sony and Microsoft consoles. My PS4 slim is getting long in the tooth, and I'm a big fan of Microsoft's backwards compatibility efforts. My last MS console was a 360, so I think Scarlet will be a goer for me.

No immediate interest in streaming, but interesting "short, play once and don't return" titles would convince me to try. Epic single player campaigns I still prefer locally installed, and I have zero interest in multi player any more.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  4. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

2020 is going to be a good year.

5. Zee

Zee Member

I did a quick speed test on a mates internet here in SIngapore. over 500mbps, and he says he's on a "low" package. He has fibre straight into his apartment.

I cried in the corner a little.

Mind you, our office in Manila has fibre to our network cabinet, and that's 500MPBS, too though that's a corporate line, and it does cost...

Chances are, my daughter will start getting into console gaming with this generation of consoles coming, which means I'll likely buy one for myself to play with her online. I'm quite curious how it will all pan out.

Z...

6. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

Not interested in another Xbox until they get there act together. Playstation exclusives are just way to hot right now.

7. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Hell no!

Agree 100%.

JSmith

8. Zee

Zee Member

I like my physical media, too.

Kinda pisses me off when I can't play Elite: Dangerous due to serve downtime, or my net being down, or whatever other bullshit reason that is net related.

Z...

9. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Beginning of the end of gaming as we know it

10. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

100% mate, should always be able to just chuck in the disc and play against the console without having to play online or against other players.

JSmith

11. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

Meh I’ve got enough of a back catalog to last me a good decade lol

12. flain

flain Member

I don't mind buying digital downloads when they have those crazy 80% off sales or if it's a new exclusive i want to play on release night. That said game streaming kind of worries me, i kind of like to own my games. They're trying to turn the gaming industry into a Blockbuster video of the digital age.

Smoothie likes this.
  13. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Why is that?

14. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

All games as a service is here.

Microsoft is leading the charge from their successes in Office rental to games rental. Hope you like subscriptions.

15. NSanity

NSanity Member

Which is why MS is buying up smaller successful indies to deliver first party titles.

It depends on the model. If i can play whatever for $15/month - I'll do that. Fuck push that to $30-40/month if i can play the entire catalog.

I'd much rather the platform vendor did it - rather than this bullshit thing emerging on PC where you have larger publishers now just starting their own gig just because they happened to have a AAA title that was doing well for a while.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  16. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Until you figure out you need 5 different subs to play everything you want...

17. NSanity

NSanity Member

I kinda said that - Steam isn't the overall platform provider - whereas the Apple store is, the PSN is, the Xbox Live store is.

So long as MS does that - I could see it working.

18. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Until they aren't. Hello Stadia exclusives. Not a matter of if, but when.

19. The Beast

The Beast Member

Most people are speculating that the super fast storage both MS and Sony are referring to won't be the entire console storage option. Probably more like a custom on motherboard PCIE 4.0 cache of 128Gb or something affordable, which acts as a massive, fast, page file and caches game files when you launch.

So, he probably mean SSD in the sense of standard 2.5" replaceable (and upgradeable) SSD for the bulk of your game storage (think 1TB or 2TB), and solid state drive as in hyper fast cache integrated into the motherboard silicon and using AMDs PCIE 4.0.

Latency is all that matters - and it won't be fast enough in my lifetime compared the really low latency local gaming. Gamepass is an incredible service, and I'm going to use it for both Xbox and PC (already have Ultimate on lock for 2 years), but I have absolutely ZERO interest in MS/Sony's game streaming options.

20. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

yeah they'll go the Apple route, solder that shit to the board - that was always gonna happen imo.