Xbox Live gets 1080p Video Store For AU, Twitter and Facebook - Coming Nov. 17!

Discussion in 'Microsoft Consoles' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Jun 2, 2009.

1. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

[​IMG]

http://majornelson.com/archive/2009/10/14/Xbox-LIVE-Preview-Program-Zune-Facebook-and-Twitter.aspx

Signup here: http://www.xbox.com/XboxLIVEUpdate

Yes and it looks like Australia..yes Australia will be getting a movie store too! Not netflix, but Microsoft's own Zune Store.

[​IMG]

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/01/xbox-live-gets-live-tv-streaming-netflix-browsing/

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  2. Deeman

Deeman Vagrant.

Great to hear this is finally arriving in AU, now all they need to do is actually sell the Zune HD along with the content and i'll be happy!

Also a free last.fm subscription for Xbox live members too (no mention if it's US-only or Gold exclusive just yet).

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  3. KappA

KappA Member

The Zune video marketplace in AU is great news. Hopefully more ISP's will provide unmetered xbox content.

Regarding last.fm, Giz AU made this point

4. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

what's the point since I haven't seen MS sell zunes here in Oz!

5. nexx

nexx Member

Streaming 1080p is going to look like shit unless you have a >15mbit connection. Good to see steps are being made though.

6. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

DOCSIS would be nice if they managed to get it out in time.

7. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Yah i didn't have much hope for anything else they showed off, apart from Facebook, twitter, video's on demand, games on demand...thats about it.

It would be nice to see the Zune HD here in Australia, but if they can't make some good sales in the USA, then Australia has even less of a chance.

I hope the prices are in-line with what most video stores charge for rentals.

It’s just called the "zune video store", previously it was just the video store and then you had netflix in the USA. They renamed it hoping to maybe integrate some functionality of the xbox 360 when connecting it up to the Zune HD...and just get some more awareness of their Zune franchise.
    If you look at the HD content you can get from the iTunes store, i’m sure they use some kind of compression, otherwise the whole cap is gone....Previously Xbox live only had 720P and 1080i movies etc etc..I doubt we’ll see too many 1080p movies in Australia, as they will release content in formats that work best.

8. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Looks like we may be getting another major change in terms of purchasing stuff off Xbox Live :D Seems they will be just listing the items price and points..

[​IMG]

And the in relation to clothing, there will be items that your avatar can play with :D like we see in this picture, the user is playing with a RC warthog! Don't know who is going to buy stuff like that, but it may just be unlockable content.

[​IMG]

All of the above here: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...ves-no-more-microsoft-points-user-ratings.ars

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  9. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Obviously it looks like prices will be listed as points and $ values, judging by the points in that second pic :) I'm glad. I appreciate the points system as being very good for people who buy the cards and don't have CCs but jeeze its annoying when you do. Much rather see exactly how much something costs rather than a point value.

10. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

They will list both the price and points, which is quite handy.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  11. mortal

mortal Member

About time!

I wonder if this includes the community games...

12. $3@N

$3@N (Banned or Deleted)

What i really want is keyboard and mouse support as well as a option to install another OS (locked to Windows of course, xp vista W7?) as well as user upgradable harddrives in excess of 120gb (which was the sweet spot... back in 2003!)

Sure we are going to enjoy all the features the yanks have had for years but i am still perplexed how far MS want to go with this locked platform... hardly any 3rd party accessories either.

Bit of a disappointing announcement if you ask me.

13. mortal

mortal Member

That will never ever happen - will open up ways of hacking which Microsoft don't want (both piracy and cheating online).

14. $3@N

$3@N (Banned or Deleted)

The PS3 is a far more open platform and it does not have those problems...

Microsoft are been just a little too strict, hopefully their asses will relax soon.

15. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Strict yes and no...the hard drive upgradability is a profit thing. They make good amounts of money with accessories. Plus they want to reduce the amount of issues people may have with leaving it too open.

As for letting you install an O/S and stuff like that...Microsoft are focusing that the console is for gaming first as well as a online entertainment hub second. I doubt that many people would care if you could install your own O/S or not. Sure they'd be a few on this forum, but in general.

16. _the_duke_

_the_duke_ (Taking a Break)

What's this "Zune" you all speak of?

17. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Zune is both a line of MP3 players from MS, and an online digital content service providing music, movies, tv shows etc. We're getting the Zune store on our 360s soon, maybe we'll be lucky and get the Zune players as well as some of them actually look pretty damn good.

18. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Zune won't happen in Australia until it gains popularity in the states. At the moment it seems like they aren't gaining much momentum.

19. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

A shame, they look quite good and their service of paying for a subscription to have their huge library of music is quite appealing, though I don't think I'd take advantage of it.

20. anthony256

anthony256 Member

It'd work if the ISP's counted it as local data.

It makes me want to buy another 360 (bought it at launch and sold it after I finished Crackdown).

I might pick another one up when Natal is boxed with it.