Xbox Live gets 1080p Video Store For AU, Twitter and Facebook - Coming Nov. 17!

Discussion in 'Microsoft Consoles' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Jun 2, 2009.

1. cyanpixie

cyanpixie Member

Got a mail from MS telling me that they are having a movie night and will give us 1200 points for watching a pre-determined movie at 8PM on Saturday or Sunday and filling in a Survey. Then I looked at the fine-print telling me that I also have to PURCHASE the movie from the store. :thumbdn:

Then thinking about it - I will have to USE ALL MY FRACKING BANDWIDTH because we get slogged from bandwidth here. :upset:

Question - has anyone watched a HD movie from the Zune store and how much Bandwidth did it eat? :confused:

2. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

1200 points is more than a standard movie.

3. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

yeah, but you can watch it on your tv without the pain of finding the damn cables to connect the laptop to it.. and then you have to worry about codecs....

I mean....

yeah but you can watch it on your tv without the pain of opening the dvd tray....

4. Dodge M4S

Dodge M4S Member

I would rather have youtube or a web browser than twatter and dickfacebook

5. KappA

KappA Member

I got that email as well.

It sounds like you don't even need to watch a movie to claim the free MS points, just fill in the survey.

6. mcrow5

mcrow5 Member

you serious? got a link to the survey?

7. KappA

KappA Member

Well it looks like they changed their minds. Got another email this morning.

If 1200 points was too much for them to give away, I would have been happy to just get the ~300 back from watching a movie.

8. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

You have to login to your connect account to do the survey. So if you aren't in the program you don't have access to the survey.

While you can complete the survey, they are able to check what you downloaded before awarding you the points.

I reckon they should of just made it free for that evening. Or give users 5 movies to choose from for that night thats didn't cost anything.

9. silverbullet

silverbullet Member

Good ole microsoft the dodgy pricks :lol:

I can't do it now as i used my falcon to download the beta too which i have sold as i am keeping my Jasper version console since it has a better chance of survival.

If they make the pricing competitive then i'll use the Zune store for sure but every time i jump on my xbox it does become strongly apparent that all it is to them is a cashcow i mean nothing is for free, themes should be free and they should offer the odd map for free too... we've already shelled out for the game AND live, do they want us to hand in out souls as well?

I do enjoy live though so i will keep using the service just not so sure on the media side of things...yet :)

@DM i agree they should of just made it a free night for Beta testers to provide the feedback, like i said just goes to show how money hungry they are, the movies they are offering for testing are rubbish too. (i'm not a potter fan)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  10. mcrow5

mcrow5 Member

damn!! oh well, doesnt really matter, ive got no need for 1200 points atm.

11. cyanpixie

cyanpixie Member

Typical - got a mail and the 1200 points bonus now cancelled. Who would want to spend money on points and bandwidth now?

12. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

I was keen to see how everything worked...and how smooth the process was. While i'm with iinet, i'm not sure if the bandwidth would of been in the freezone yet.

I'm out of MS point on my xbox 360, so that was the deal breaker anyway. If i had the points i would of tried it out. 400ms points for a HD movie isn't tempting at all.

13. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Anyone notice the movies tell you how big they are now. 11.8gb to stream full HD Watchmen. Anyone tested on iiNet?

14. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

If someone wants to pay for me to test it i can :D ehehe

15. mcrow5

mcrow5 Member

fuck me, thats my whole months worth of quota in just one movie, thats ridiculous. note to self, dont download movies on xbox lol.

16. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

If its unmetered with iinet then it can be 20GB :lol:

17. johnspartan

johnspartan Member

my cable internet bigpond was downloading at 8.99mb on the speed test as part of the survey but then the xbox said it couldnt stream HD content which was ok anyway as I didnt have 10gb free for chronicles of riddick. I will say thou if it is competivaley priced and the releases are as quick as the video store as a lazy person who never returns dvd's on time this is actually quite a good ideo for myself as no more late fee's.

18. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Well it's ridiculous for us. For countries that actually have the internet it'd be reasonable. I do wish more ISPs would make it unmetered content. If I wasn't in a house of 5 I'd probably swap over to iiNet and actually make of use of it.

19. FFC

FFC Member

I wonder how many people once the service takes off properly will actually switch to iinet, or just get the cheapest possible iinet plan (currently $39) for their xbox alone to take advantage of this.

20. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

I streamed a movie, told me I didnt have the speed for HD first time, so I just told it to retry the test and it worked, movie played with no probs.

Used a fair amount of download though, like 6GB, lucky I have 100GB :)