1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Xbox One, Xbox One S Discussion

Discussion in 'Microsoft Consoles' started by Arch-Angel, Nov 17, 2011.

1. The Beast

The Beast Member

That was a pretty interesting, and damning (for Kinect) post. You didn't reference so I googled and found the source was the Verge review of the Xbox One.

Seeing they had a video, I started to watch and immediately had to pause because - as I suspected would be the case - journalists are completely exaggerating the Xbox One's abilities.
    I quote from the narrative:

"but it's also something much bigger, much more ambitious. The Xbox One is Microsoft's way of attaching itself to every single thing thing you do in your living room."

"It's a gaming machine, a set top box, a cable box, and a computer, all rolled into one $499 device"

No, it isn't. It is a gaming machine, but it's not really even close to a 'computer', and absolutely not a set top box, nor a cable box. I'm literally staggered that these idiots whose job it is to cover this can't get even the basics right. Do they think this will help Microsoft? Perhaps in the super short term, but eventually people will realise it's just HDMI pass through. They'll realise it's a gaming machine with some multimedia capability (like the 360, like PS3, like PS4). They'll be pissed that MS are trying to make it out to be more than it is.

And if Kinect 2.0 does't setting the world on fire soon, peeps gonna starting asking wtf they are paying for it.

EDIT: Ok I watched the rest of the video, and I recommend everyone else does to. It's actually an amazingly well balanced review and at the 6 minute mark the review covers my complaints above. Not sure why he lead off with semi-misleading opening statements, but for people that have the patience to stick the entire review out (so basically no Xbox gamers :lol:) it's pretty informative.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  2. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

The summary of that review (so we can see all of the reviewers opinions, not just the ones that support The Beast's fanboyisms). It did seem to be well balanced review.

Considering the negative sections were on the Kinect's use in the interface, but glowing opinion of it's in game function (despite what the summary said, the article had many positives). And TV/Cable HDMI passthru feature being not very functional. Kinect software can improve and the TV bit is a bit disappointing (for me), but it still isn't anywhere near a deal breaker.... I think there will be considerably more functionality brought into this system in the future.

edit reading their PS4 review now.... Interesting they rated XB1 7.8 overall and PS4 7.7.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  3. The Beast

The Beast Member

Or you could learn to @#$%&@# read...

But yes, the review summary you quoted is perfect. I could barely agree more with it (games comparison aside).

Don't go there. I noticed that too. Have a closer look at how they come to that (scroll to the bottom). They have rated the 'performance' of both machines 8/10, whilst giving the nod to 'games selection' to Xbox One. Performance doesn't change, and it's undisputedly in PS4's favour. Game selection will change, and if history has anything to play it will also be undisputedly in PS4's favour.

It's the same guy that does the video review for both consoles, I suggest you watch both and see if you still think it's 7.8 vs 7.7.

4. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Let's take Design out, cause who really gives a toss what it looks like. And Game Selection out cause that isn't really relevant as it is only talking about launch titles then both get 7.75/10.... Not my opinion, not your opinion. That is what these reviewers have said. They have used both (unlike anyone here yet) and are in a much better position to give an accurate appraisal. I am sure you will dig up a review that suggests otherwise.... :rolleyes:

But to be honest I won't see it cause it's gone beyond a joke and like a few others here, you can be the first on my ignore list.

So how about just give up and understand they both have their place. Like I have said before each serves a purpose. It's like whinging about Hungry Jacks not making a Big Mac cause Maccas do.

5. The Beast

The Beast Member

And like so many others, you read what you want and ignore what doesn't fit your preconceived mental model.

Ironic considering only three hours ago I said this:

But whatever, add me to your ignore list. As I've said before, it's the equivalent of a five year old sticking their fingers in their ears and screaming lalalalalala.

6. trop

trop Member

Tonight's the night! Who's going to the midnight launche?

7. MrBS

MrBS Member

Mine's coming from amazon again so I'll be jumping in next week. PS4 will keep me occupied until then ;)

8. KRiSX

KRiSX Member

YEEEAAAAHHHH BUDDY!!!! can't wait :)

anyone here going to Hornsby EB (NSW)?

9. Nvidiot

Nvidiot Member

From all the western Australians: screw you guys.

10. stitch512

stitch512 Member

Taking the missus out to dinner and movie, going to midnight launch and then will tell her that for the next 4 days I do not exist. So freaking excited.

11. trop

trop Member

Lol. It's only a couple hours, you'll be fine.

12. iinsom

iinsom Member

13. sirelliottm

sirelliottm Member

Is kmart stocking the xbox 1...?

If so i assume the 24 hour stores will be a place to buy it.

14. claf-43

claf-43 Member

LMAO Kinect...

That is hilarious reading above, and if anyone here thought Kinect 2 was going to change everything, clueless. It's a useless piece of shit.

15. AthlonMan

AthlonMan (Banned or Deleted)

I imagine quite a number of them will stay in their box.

16. iinsom

iinsom Member

Apparently my console is in transit.. Hopefully my brother isnt lazy and goes to the door when it gets delivered D:

17. hosh0

hosh0 Member

They can't, it needs to be connected for the main console to work.

18. claf-43

claf-43 Member

Pretty sure it doesn't need to be on though... or atleast visible :)

Complete waste of space.

19. iinsom

iinsom Member

The kinect?

Wrong.

20. AthlonMan

AthlonMan (Banned or Deleted)

That used to be the case, but when it became clear that Kinect 2.0 was just a NSA spy device there was a lot of backlash and MS changed the policy.