1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Xbox Series X|S Discussion

Discussion in 'Microsoft Consoles' started by power, Jul 24, 2018.

1. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Well for started, platform exclusive stuff is like 2% of games so that argument didn't really hold weight for me. I literally play zero Xbox exclusives and I still have an Xbox.

Xbox Game Pass is a massive reason to go that way right now.

2. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... one Xbox Series X ... one Xbox Series X box

JSmith

trippyfoo likes this.
  3. asho444

asho444 Member

Didn't Microsoft go on a developer buy spree recently, like the guys who made outerworlds? So potentially there Could be alot of exclusive content coming

4. The Beast

The Beast Member

Disclaimer up front: I think this shift in direction is a GOOD thing for MS, but I do have to laugh at how MS have done a copypasta of the PS4 launch for this console....it even has a share button!
    This is from their presser
    • The name Xbox is an expression of our deep history in gaming, our team’s unrelenting passion, and our commitment to both our fans and the future of gaming at Microsoft. It also signifies our belief that a gaming console should be for just that – gaming.
    Contrast that with 2013 (hand-picked snippets by me for effect):
    • On Tuesday May 21st, we’ll mark the beginning of a new generation of games, TV and entertainment.
    • Our goal is to enable live TV through Xbox One in every way that it is delivered throughout the world, whether that’s television service providers, over the air or over the Internet, or HDMI-in via a set top box (as is the case with many providers in the US).
    • The all new Kinect is now an essential and integrated part of the platform. By having it as a consistent part of every Xbox One, game and entertainment creators can build experiences that assume the availability of voice, gesture and natural sensing, leading to unrivaled ease of use, premium experiences and interactivity for you.
    • Xbox One hardware is not compatible with Xbox 360 games. We designed Xbox One to play an entirely new generation of games—games that are architected to take full advantage of state-of-the-art processors and the infinite power of the cloud.
    Oh man, I miss the marketing word-salad disaster that was MS 2013.

You forgot the the Xbox 360 S, Xbox 360 E and Xbox One S ADE.

To date those post nominals are a lesson in how to dilute consumer understanding... and also give us an anagram of SAD SEXES.
    Also EXS ASSED.
    Also SASSED EX.

Now we have SAD SEXES Series X - which I wouldn't google without safesearch on.

I mean they HAD to get rid of One, the entire premise for that word was a focus on the 'One' device you needed in your living room - which was Don Mattrick's Microsoft, not Phil Spencer's.

Game Pass is amazing, though it's presence on PC has me seriously considering a non-Xbox console future. I have an Xbox One X which is relegated to streaming duties in my living room because everything I want to play on Game Pass (and all MS titles) are present and better on PC.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, no VR is a massive fail at this point. I expect PS5 will double down on VR and the PC VR scene is still growing very well. Missed opportunity with a 12 TFlop machine to not support it (but we'll see - maybe they will?)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  5. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

Having a another look at the new console this morning and with what I assume is the exhaust vent at the top that thing will just fill up with dust like crazy.

6. The Beast

The Beast Member

I would assume the top is an exhaust with the system drawing 'cool' air from the bottom. If they are sensible it will have positive pressure which should keep dust out... unless it's off.

Let's see if they have truly taken a design leaf from PC and include a removable slide-out dust filter on the bottom... if there isn't a filter I can see this being a dog/cat hair vacuum.

7. BuD

BuD Member

I already have one X and am contemplating the ps5 to play some of the great games in that platform

Smoothie likes this.
  8. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Well, the two collections aren't the same. There are definitely Game Pass games which are Xbox only. I use both. I don't care for a cutdown VR solution either so when I invest in that basket, itll be a top end VR headset for PC.

I laugh at all the people who contradicts themselves about the whole media thing. Xbox was right to try and push Media capabilities. Despite you shitting on it in your post, you then later say you still use it despite not playing any games on it AS A MEDIA DEVICE. Don't you see the hypocrisy of shitting on that direction yet that's exactly the way you went?

9. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

It’s a great media device but so is a $50 chrome cast.

Smoothie and elvis like this.
  10. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I have this problem with anything that has a fan. Despite regular household do cleans, between living on a busy-ish road and pets, consoles need an annual blast of the old air compressor.

I'm looking at this new one and thinking it'll need a quarterly blast.

This too. I use my PS4 to play Blu Ray discs maybe twice a year. The rest I stream via Kodi or Chromecast on much cheaper and cooler/quieter devices.

11. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

I got 2 cats and little ones so the house gets vacuumed 3-4 times a week plus daily robot clean and my PS4 still gets caked in dust lol.

elvis likes this.
  12. The Beast

The Beast Member

No need to go full warrior mate, I'll let you know when I'm actually 'shitting on it'.

As for VR, put your money where you mouth is and I'll listen. I own PSVR and a Rift - Day 1 for both. Neither are 'cut down', VR is amazing in its current forms. Everything must be budgeted to available resources, even PC VR games have to make compromises, but I've had an awesome time with PSVR even though my PC VR setup is vastly more powerful.

FWIW I'm not being contradictory at all regarding media capabilities. What I use the Xbox One X for is frankly no different than what a PS4, AppleTV, Nvidia Shield, Chromecast or Roku can do - Netflix, Plex, Emby, Youtube etc. I don't use the HDMI in and I don't use Kinect for voice or gesture control. Microsoft were wrong to focus on those aspects (trying to make up ground on what the PS3 had been better at all previous generation) at the expense of hardware (GPU power) and software (terrible clunky UI, draconian DRM (later wound back), no share feature etc). The fact that they lost massive market share and have done a complete 180 should be an indication that they porked it - but you go ahead and try to argue otherwise.

I had an OG Xbox One, and was living in the US so I tried all the integrated TV experience - and it really didn't offer anything that a universal remote couldn't do better. Since then they have completely walked back two of the main features that made it somewhat unique in the console space, Snap and Kinect voice control (that actually worked offline, since replaced with Cortana that seldom works and needs a connection). I bought the One X for gaming - but Game Pass coming to PC along with all MS titles has rendered it pointless in my house. I'm curious to see what the Series X can do to challenge that.

In summary, I don't use the Xbox One X because it is a superior media device - I use it for media because it is an inferior gaming device compared to my PC (with the same exclusives), and my PS4 Pro has exclusives and VR that justify it on it's own merits.

Same, but dogs. Just got a Roborock S6 and it's already light years better than my Roomba 980 - it's going to run daily!

My weather app just took a run at Microsoft... lol:

carrot (2).PNG

13. The Beast

The Beast Member

I wonder how this new Radeon Boost might factor into the next gen consoles, XSX and PS5 are both using AMD Navi.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...software-adrenalin-2020-radeon-boost-analysis

14. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

Current consoles already use dynamic res but it’s based on frame rate target.

15. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Game Pass is fucking amazing. I hope they never cotton on that its so amazing that it gives PC master racers even less reason to buy a sexbot. I mean sex box. But seriously the achilles heel of actually giving a shit about PC means that PC owners have even less of a reason to buy your platform (Whether that still makes you more money at the end of the day I don't know).

Exclusives can go do one, there are so many great games on every platform and you don't have time or $ to play them all.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  16. elvis

Consoles don't make money. Games do.

17. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

sure, which is why I also said 'Whether that still makes you more money at the end of the day I don't know".

18. trippyfoo

trippyfoo Member

Well.. I love the design as it's certainly different. I'm just not sure where I'm going to place it in my entertainment unit.. from what I've gathered if it's laying down, it's about the height of the controller? Which might not squeeze into the existing slot where the old X is sitting..aarrggh.
    Can't stand it on top as the tv covers the width of the unit.. first world problems.yada Yada.

Either way..glad the optical drive is still there. Fingers crossed the optical port is still there as well.

Sign me up .

19. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Which really begs the question, where are people expected to put these things?

Everyone I know either has a wall mounted TV hovering over an entertainment unit or a TV on an entertainment unit (or the exception where it's a TV on a wall with everything else hidden away elsewhere). Stuff needs to onto a shelf and usually not on top of the entertainment unit... which was designed to put things away neatly and all...

Have you never noticed how much heat an XBox One X puts out? The first hit on google has a bunch of options all of which would contain that heat nicely. It's like the game makers envisage nothing but a TV with a game system floating next to it.
    https://www.pinterest.com.au/cathy2501/entertainment-units/

{grumpy old man}
    Back in the good old days stereo components were a standard width and were designed to be stackable. EVen when DVD players got more slim lined they were still the same width! It was practical!
    {/grump old man}

Of course I understand not everyone wants a set of big 18" components sitting under their TV, but then I also know that attempting to place or stack anything these days is a pain. (and yes I know most (all?) modern gaming systems don't want you to stack them. It's also fair to say normal people probably don't have more than one or two things plugged in.

My perfect entertainment unit would be powder coated steel with built in cable routing, designed like a server rack and ideally with some large, quiet thermo fans behind each storage box to get rid of the heat (something I have often considered doing with my current timber unit at least for the gaming boxes). Hell, if you were building a new house the idea of building an exhaust port for heat into the wall doesn't seem so crazy to me...

trippyfoo likes this.
  20. elvis

I have a lot of consoles. 20? 30? More? Not counting doubles.

There is no perfect entertainment unit for me. :)