1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Xbox Series X|S Discussion

Discussion in 'Microsoft Consoles' started by power, Jul 24, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

the struggle is real.

elvis likes this.
  2. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

There is always something like this ;) Mind you I wonder what the cabling looks like behind that?!?!

4c2a94c47afe48bb3a2c011100b89e3f.jpg

Smoothie and JSmithDTV like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

mine is all off to the side in a couple of narrow Billy's. no room for a monstrosity like that at my place.

The form factor doesn't bother me though - as consoles take a prominent position in my living room.

The top mount fan is an excellent move after what they did with the XB1X. One and One S are fantastic from a noise and thermals perspective.

My PS4 though, turns into a damn jet engine on certain games!

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

The problem is it's too high. Looking up at a screen like that is crap for gaming sessions.

My console games setup is split in 4, with about 8 or so displays across two different areas of the house. And then there's separate arcade and PC gaming areas on top of that.

Same, and I can't figure out why. It's not HDR, it's not heavy effects. Some games even do it in certain menus and not even in game.

5. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

elvis something like this with consoles on selves and games in draws below, then like a library you check out the console and game, and make a universal adapter plate on top of a lowboy under your wall mounted display, so all you do is plug in and play. ;)

console_storage.jpg

trippyfoo and elvis like this.
  6. elvis

I wish I had the sort of wall space that "Last Gamer" Joel does. My collection isn't anywhere near his, but even scaling down my wall/floor space is 5 times smaller than it needs to be.

7. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

As I said the other day, I genuinely believe the answer to this is "fuck you, put it in the middle of the floor if you have to". Microsoft want it to be prominent and obnoxious.

trippyfoo likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

yeah, PS4 cooling is just very average compared to XBox.

9. elvis

friction_point likes this.
  10. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I've looked at the povo version of this where the cables just hang out the side of the AV unit and I drop the console temporarily ontop. A more considered approach with a neat adaptor plate would be far far neater. For old consoles where things are completely offline this is perfect. For modern consoles they really need to be left plugged in so they auto update otherwise you're often left waiting and waiting for updates to happen (especially on the PS4 since the PSN often sucks balls, although there are ways to help that).

11. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

for me the main nightmare is having enough HDMI ports.

and right now i don't. so i have one cable that kind of hangs about (in an inconspicuous spot) and a few cables run to near it and all labelled with what they are. The irony of that is that one of those cables THEN goes to my 3 mini consoles!! HDMIception.

The thing that bothers me most about this setup is the HDMI's end up in my TV (I don't have a receiver), and then I drop an optical out of that. Which is all well and good but most of you will be aware that these type of optical outs from tv's are stereo.

soooooooo... there's like 4 or so optical cables near the back of my speakers for when I really want the best sound. It sounds like a clusterfuck but honestly it's not all bad.

My idea setup would be a receiver with maybe 10-15 inputs hahaha.

12. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

5 x 4 port switches, that is one switch with the other four plugged into it... 16 ports!

if you do it right you can probably end up with a mix of component, composite and HDMI too

13. stalyoni

stalyoni Member

for me ive moved from pc gaming to just gaming on the xbox one x in my bedroom and xbox one s in the lounge room. I owned the pc in my sig below and I couldnt justify keeping it as I only played it for like an hour or two like twice a week. I really look forward to the next xbox sex and its little brother and i will probably end up with both at some stage down the line. Most of my mates are on xbox as well so for me it makes sense. Im on a limited budget these days and couldnt afford to keep up with the jones with the current pc tech and for me I have always had the top of the line pcs for the last 20 years and i had finally had enough of upgrading all the time and throwing money at my pc that i will never get back.

Im also 40 plus as well and gaming for me is not a priority in my life anymore. I just jump on when i get some free time and feel like a game here and there. The biggest thing that pisses me off with the xbox platform is that every time i go to game I have to download a 40gb update or someshit and then 3 hours later(100mb NBN) im able to play.

Im really looking for to the next series of what xbox is going to put out as it will close the gap on pc and console gaming and with crossplatform gaming we will all be able to play together soon anyways.

Also looking forward to game streaming as a service that should be like netflix currently is but i think we are a few years away from that yet.

pwlm1975 likes this.
  14. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

I'm the same as you BUT if I'm going to drop 500 bucks on a console hey might as well drop 500 bucks on a graphics card eh.

Plus I love M+B on FPS / RPGs, or rather, I absolutely cannot stand playing FPS / RPGs on joypads. That alone is is probably the single biggest reason. I can still joypad for TPS/arcade games on a PC but I can't M+Kb on a console.

The upgrade cycle is issue is overstated, you can comfortably get by with 3-4 year cycles (or stretch out to 5-6 with a GFX upgrade in the middle) and that ain't so bad even if you get more years out of a console - the games are way cheaper on PC if you bargain hunt and that's not even mentioning the aaaar matey option.

It also helps that as a data hoarder having a PC is super convenient (i.e. a hardwired box with lots of spinning rust, I use my desktop as the backup to my NAS).

Even if I don't have the time to game anymore and it isn't that important, it still feels weird to not be PCMR so I can't see myself ever not having a decent rig lol (and now that I have AMD so no iGPU, I'm trapped... lol).

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  15. stalyoni

stalyoni Member

For me I went out and bought the new series 2 elite controller and took me a few days to adjust to it but I feel like I have just as much control with this new controller as I did with my mouse and keyboard. I tightened up the sticks as tight as they can go and I love it. I also have the series 1 elite controller in white but don't feel as if I have as much precise control as I do with the series 2 elite. I have a dell xps 13 9365 2 in 1 laptop and have a tb16 dock in the lounge room hooked up to a 24 inch Acer monitor and 55 inch 1080p LG TV. Then in the bed room I have a wd15 dock hooked up to my 55 inch 4k oled lg tv. So my laptop is very versatile and can use it in multiple situations and does what i need it to do. Only pc game i play on it these days is day of defeat source as i was in a clan for it for over ten years and enjoy playing it here and there now. Installed leauge of ledgends the other day and learning to play it as I've only ever played the major FPS games that have come out in the last 20 years or the decent car racing games.

I know it's a bit off topic but i did try that shadow service with a VPN but the lag was unbearable but only cost me like 17 bux to try it out. Doubt we will ever see it here though.

16. stalyoni

stalyoni Member

Just re read what you said and I've been using a logitech g502 mouse and old game keypad flexiglow cyba sniper I've had for 15 years or more and it works great on call of duty modern warfare on my Xbox one s in the lounge room with no dramas at all. I plug it into my acer 24 inch 1080p monitor and use my rig 800 headset and it's as good as the gaming pcs they have at my local gaming cafe so I'm happy.

Maybe when I inherit a large sum of money some time in the future I might jump back into the pc gaming scene but for now I have other priorities to worry about.

17. elvis

Genuine question to you (and anyone else reading):

If Keyboard and Mouse was supported as a first-class citizen input mechanism on consoles, would you:

a) Not care, stick with PC?

b) Buy in on consoles, but keep maintaining your PC?

c) Stop upgrading your PC, go in 100% on consoles?

stalyoni likes this.
  18. stalyoni

stalyoni Member

C all the way

I don't have the money to waist on pcs for gaming anymore

Hopefully nvidias game stream service comes to Australia soon as well as I have the nvidia shield tv and use it daily for streaming and game emulation and I could then still play most or all of the pc games I still own without spending thousands

pwlm1975 and elvis like this.
  19. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I realised a long time ago now that I just wasn't playing games on the PC anymore. Life, children, work... it just didn't leave that much free time (and sadly it only seems to get worse). I've always had consoles as well, so the transition was more about what type of games I played, PC was more about FPS, the consoles were more about driving games. These days the Forza series is about the only instant buy or pre-order for me.

These days I'm that old guy who has near zero interest in online multiplyer games, I want a single player story I can play through over (often a long) time just because I don't have regular large chunks of time to invest. I also despise any games that offer loot crates, skins or worse yet, emotes. I loved the Battlefield series back in the day but 2142 was probably the turning point where the pay to win mechanics and online community went to hell. I used to love dragging the PC to LANs and playing with mates in a private setting as well as the larger ones like SGL (10.10.39.185.... still got my gamer card too ;) ).

More recently I've played through Watchdog series (from the bargain bin/pre-owned) on the consoles which I enjoyed, although they aren't really what I would call FPS. My Son showed me Tom Clancy's Wildlands on his PC and I was bitten enough (and it helped that the Gold version (or something other the base version) was on special for $29! Bargain! While I still think I would prefer a keyboard and mouse, I'm OK with a controller in a non-competitive me just having fun sort of environment, but then I'm probably just not competitive with todays kids anyway regardless of input device. I haven't bought the newer Tom Clancy Breakpoint, I had a go at the pre-release one at MEO last year and the mechanics seems to get more complicated with multiple healing options/requirements. I'm more of a "run into the fire and hope for the best" sort of player, having to stop and heal yourself isn't what I want to have to think about. I also didn't really want to spend $100+ on the game... It's on special at the moment, but I don't really have time. I might look again when I next have some leave from work (and don't have 50,000 things that need doing around the house).

I also played through Zelda on the Switch (in a pretty short space of time too) which I enjoyed quite a lot.

So really, the (relatively) low entry cost of consoles as well as the almost flawless plug and play approach means it suits someone who plays so infrequently. Updates being the one killer, although the auto update system seems to keep itself mostly on top of all that. The new XBox will likely be very high on my list of things to buy, especially if it plays all the old games.

pwlm1975, elvis and stalyoni like this.
  20. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

The new one will be even more seamless, and I dont see why they wont support all the games supported currently as its all just x86 arch.

My gaming life has become very similar to yours, I dont have kids so i get a bit more time but my professional career takes priority and i guess my current partner lol.

Games that are seamless to get into have great interest to me, and the new consoles low load times appeals to me. Reminds me of the old days of chucking in a PlayStation CD and off you go.

Due to the high load times of the current gen(even with a PS4 Pro which i chucked an SSD into) means i spend way too much time waiting for a game to load, so yeah i'm very keen to get either of the new gen consoles, i have no brand loyatly, its really whoever has the most interesting games at the time.

elvis and stalyoni like this.