Xbox Series X|S

Discussion in 'Microsoft Consoles' started by power, Jul 24, 2018.

1. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

The OG XBox and even the One takes a while to boot from cold. Now that you mention it, the one issue I did have was that the 4TB external USB drive I had wouldn't sleep and kept trying to spin up. The solution was full shutdown and reboot everytime you used it. Moving to a 500GB SSD solved that problem and the 4TB is only plugged in to archive stuff. That's only on the OG XBox One, the One X only has an external 500GB SSD which has been enough for all the games I have played on it.

Interesting issues with Forza. That's my jam and across all of them I've not had any issues at all including all the DLC parts (except one car which was invisible except the wheels :p ).

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  2. The Beast

The Beast Member

Not an owner but have followed development closely so I'll give it a stab.

Good news: Reports are that the menus are fast. Having said that, same thing I thought when I got the Xbox One X... and they somehow managed to bog that down over time.
    Bad news: It's still tiles. I never ever ever got used to or enjoyed the Xbox One menus, no matter what tweaks they did... and this is more of the same (literally).

I've not heard of any issues, though to be fair my Xbox One and Xbox One X rarely suffered crashes... this sounds like your Xbone may have been an outlier.

I believe it's this (PS5 added for comparison):

Xbox Series X games - must play from internal storage, or proprietary 1TB NVMe expansion card.
    (PS5 is the same, but the expansion uses regular PCIe 4.0 NVMe drives that meet Sony standards... none approved as of yet, feature disabled)

Back Compat games can run from either storage, or external USB storage.
    (Same for PS5)

Any game can be moved to external USB storage, even if it cannot be run from there.
    (PS5 does not allow PS5 games to be moved to USB storage).

Giant Bomb described it as almost feeling like what an elite controller would feel like, without all the bells and whistles of an elite controller.

Pick two out of three.

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  3. stalyoni

stalyoni Member

I will do a test later as I have a 512gb nvme in an orico enclosure. I think it will be as close as I can get it to the actual nvme inside the series x. I'll see if I can move a series x game to the external 512gb nvme and see if it runs.
    I'm still re downloading all my games onto it

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  4. thecondor

thecondor Member

Seriously how fucking easy is the set up process with the app.

call me impressed Microsoft. Downloaded halo 5 already. Come on sat

5. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Doesn't work if you have dns blocking bing trackers.

6. The Beast

The Beast Member

I mean, it was supposed to be Halo Infinite.... so.

Seriously? Lol.

7. stalyoni

stalyoni Member

So I moved dirt5 which is about 72gb in total to the 512gb external nvme and it come up with some message saying it can't be played from the external storage and has to be installed on the internal storage or expansion cards. So must be something with the internal nvme and direct pcie lanes from the CPU to gpu. It was worth a shot.
    I think I'll eventually upgrade the Sammy 970 pro 1tb nvme I have in my current Dell inspiron 13 7306 2in1 lappy to a Sammy 980 pro 2tb or a sabrent 2tb nvme then use the 970 pro to hang off my series x for quick storage transfers and older games for quick boot times.
    Do the Sammy 980 pros need a heatsink?

8. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Apparently folk are exploiting the chimney design of the X case and making false claims of smoking.

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1326530676066308097

upload_2020-11-12_10-18-14.png

upload_2020-11-12_10-18-43.png

I had noticed that 1 media outlet fell for the trap. They have since deleted their tweet about it after someone pointed them to this guy's thread.

9. jpw007

jpw007 Member

For anyone that ordered via Telstra, did you receive email confirmation after the order or solely via the webpage confirming? It doesn't show under my account, and not sure if it's meant to or what's meant to happen now (ordered yesterday)

10. nope

nope Member

11. flain

flain Member

The Xclamation Box Cube Series X

Emc39rhVkAEWVqC.jpg

nope likes this.
  12. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

It just showed up the other day lol... I was one of those who were in the second batch but they moved me to the first.

bcann likes this.
  13. nope

nope Member

I wonder how badly Zen3 and rdna3 xbox series x elite and ps5 pro will shit on these in a couple of years lel

14. stalyoni

stalyoni Member

Has anyone else got the 120fps glitch where the option is constantly greyed out under graphics settings on the series x? It was working in the start when I was first playing it but now it's greyed out no matter what I do.
    Been trying every setting under the sun for hours to get it to work. I have the LG c9 oled. At this point I'm over it and I think I'll just claim a refund for the game till they fix it cause I'm that over it big time

15. stalyoni

stalyoni Member

Just spent an hour on the phone with xbox support with a person who could barely speak English and had nfi with no joy at all. So I'm redownloading it now then I'll see what happens. I'm fair over it lols

16. Sledge

Sledge Member

Which game are you talking about?
    Where are you trying to set 120Hz, in game or in the system?
    does the system detect you have 120Hz screen still? and it's the game that doesn't? you need to be more specific rather than make us assume what you're talking about

17. stalyoni

stalyoni Member

Sorry it's call of duty black ops cold war and yes I have the cross gen bundle version and yes I have the xs version installed. I'm playing it regardless atm cause I have nothing else to do today.
    Xbox series x is set to 120hz and my LG c9 should be good for 120hz.
    Just in the game the 120hz setting is locked out and grey and sometimes says enabled but others it doesn't but its never unlocked for me now. I think at one stage I had it unlocked but not sure how

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  18. Opticon

Opticon Member

Has anyone tried streaming from Xbox to Windows using the console companion app with the XSX?
    It works for the Android app on my Pixel 5 but just not Windows

My XO still game streams without an issue, even after I updated my port forwarding from XO IP to XSX static IP (if that even really mattered)

19. stalyoni

stalyoni Member

i have streamed with the series x to my note 10 5g 512gb in my room and on my porch and it works just as well as it did on the one x. Im pretty sure I have streamed to my new dell inspiron 13 2in1 11th gen with wifi 6 and killer network card and it was way better then with my old dell xps 13 9365 2in1 7th gen

Opticon likes this.
  20. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

I tried streaming using Console companion and it worked.

Opticon likes this.