Xbox360 HD-DVD drive $198 at BigW *now*

Discussion in 'Microsoft Consoles' started by Rexy, Mar 30, 2007.

1. KappA

KappA Member

Mortal i also went hunting the other week for it. Checked bigw for stock, no good, so went to eb for a price match, not on since bigw had no stock. He said if u take a catalog they will match it no questions so thats an idea. Either way i bought it from eb since im not that tight on cash and wanted it right away. PQ is fkn unbelievable. Already ordered 3 hddvds from dvdpacific; a scanner darkly, terminator 3, and spy game cant wait.

2. mortal

mortal Member

No stock shouldn't matter, its their regular price, stock should really only matter when its on sale and since there isn't any stock the sale is pretty much over. Good idea with the catelog, but doesn't matter. I'll just ring Big W during the week and see if they have stock, other places don't deserve my $$$.

3. mortal

mortal Member

Just got it from Big W $198. The quality is amazing!

Are all the HD-DVD cases as big the King Kong included?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  4. stevo4

stevo4 Member

All the ones I've seen so far do, though someone posted earlier that the oz ones have covers like what we are use to with DVD's. Yet to see one though!

And the addon is well worth the $198.

5. outiv

outiv Member

They are all the same sizes as far as I know.

Here are some amazing 1080p screenshots if you've been living under a rock and don't know what it's all about
    http://www.aussiehddvd.com/?p=10

6. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

So can someone please clarify this for me please regarding this drive.

My standard X-Box 360 does not have this HD Drive...correct?

Some of the games I have like PES 6 (Pro Evolution Soccer 6) say they will run at 1080p (I have a 46" Sony Bravia 1080p TV). So if i have got this correct I will need this new drive in order to play the game at 1080p IS THIS CORRECT?

7. outiv

outiv Member

No it is not correct. You can play those games fine at 1080p.
    This drive is only for watching MOVIES.

This thread has a lot of discussion about connecting it to your PC and being able to watch HD DVD movies using this drive
    http://www.aussiehddvd.com/?p=3

correct, your standard Xbox 360 doesn't come with this drive but It has nothing to do with games. You can play games fine with your Xbox as is.

8. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Ahh OK..Thanks

. I have both an X-Box 360 and a Playstation 3 so I guess I dont need the X-Box drive...just yet.

Do I need any special cables to see the games at 1080 or does the ope supplied with the 360 do just fine?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  9. RoNiNSan

RoNiNSan Member

Standard cables are fine, just remember too flick the switch to hd on the cables and also set it to 1080 in the xbox settings.

10. HaZZaD

HaZZaD Member

Anyone know if BigW are going to get more of these instock? None of the stores ive gone to have them. Last place i went to assumed they didnt have them as they didnt sell well so they havent gotten them back in. So obviously she couldnt tell me if they were restocking any time soon.

11. outiv

outiv Member

I don't know. I don't think they've restocked since they first got them in. Each store gets a couple of units and they just get sold out... I'm lucky I live in an area where everyone is old and doesn't know what a dvd player is let alone an xbox.

12. stevo4

stevo4 Member

Like most ppl working in retail stores atm, dont have a clue when it comes to this sort of stuff. Ring around, there may be some still left, but to come out with they didnt sell to well, ffs, most places sold all they had and thats with no advertising.

13. Shadow27

Shadow27 Member

Wheres the best place to buy hd-dvd's?

14. outiv

outiv Member

15. Shadow27

Shadow27 Member

Thanks mate :thumbup:

16. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

there's one for sale in the forums
    shameless i know

17. BFM666

BFM666 Member

i hate this

first of all, why the hell would someone price match a store that has no stock, and secondly why would you willingly lose money? its stupid business practices. i work at jb and i wont price match anything under cost, its just daft. but then again, our store is cheaper than all our competition so everyone price matches us. big w buy stuff in huge quantities, thats how they manage to have crazy specials like this. they last untill the stock is sold and thats it.

18. cmdwedge

cmdwedge Member

The BigW near me has plenty in stock...

19. eckles

eckles Member

cost price is $170.

20. outiv

outiv Member

Is anyone having problems with lag/stuttering? It plays fine except every 10 minutes there is a 5 second video pause. THe sound continues playing, and then afterwards, the video just skips to the correct place and continues normally again for another 10 or 20 minutes. This happens with all movies.

I have an overclocked e4400 @ 3ghz, 8800gts and 2 gigs ram so specs are fine.

If anyone has this problem, HELP!

Cheers =)

Oh, and has anyone seen this
    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/deals/dealzmodo-sams-club-xbox-360-hd-dvd-drives-for-72-255161.php
    LUCKY BASTARDS!

Last edited: May 18, 2007