1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

XCOM: Chimera Squad

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Ace Rimmer, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Member

Bolter01 likes this.
  2. gav1ski

gav1ski Member

Looks fun, hard to turn down for $15.

3. James086

James086 Member

It says the 50% off promotion ends on May 2 which is a week after release. As always, I'll wait until it's out to see if it's good before I buy. I have poured hundreds of hours into the first two of the modern XCOM games though so I'm quite hopeful.

4. OP
    OP
    Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Member

Well it's out. Played a couple of missions this arvo. Definitely good enough for 15 bucks so far.

James086 likes this.
  5. munted123

munted123 Member

How does it compare to Xcom 2 and WOTC? In some ways I kind of like the idea of a "lite" version with more set pieces. Steam tells me I've put 233 hours into Xcom2 but I tried Tactical Legacy when it came out and couldn't get into it.

I actually found the base stuff annoying in Xcom 2 because after a few play throughs I'd basically build the same buildings in the same order and research the same stuff in the same order as well so it was just annoying to have to do it. I think XCOM: Chimera Squad doesn't really have building a base does it so maybe that's better.

It's just a huge shame it doesn't have coop multiplayer

6. OP
    OP
    Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Member

No bases building seems, management appears to be using your soldiers to do other stuff at base. 4 members go on a mission and I only have access to 5 so need to decide what to prioritise ie:

-new abilities for that soldier
    -faster research
    -spec ops missions (send a single soldier off on a non-playable mission for resources, etc)

The breach mechanic is interesting.

James086 likes this.
  7. munted123

munted123 Member

Cool!
    I just watched the ZiggyD review and probably my biggest concern now is getting a headache from the forced over the shoulder view while breaching lol!

Edit: Ended up buying it on Fanatical where it was a bit cheaper, A$13.47 and still activates on Steam. So far not bad.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  8. gav1ski

gav1ski Member

I am quite liking it. Getting owned a bit as I have not been in an xcom game for a bit and these guys start super squishy.

9. James086

James086 Member

I bought it and I agree, it's easily worth $15. I like the new individual turn order system instead of having all XCOM soldiers take turns then all of the enemies.

The motile inducer, plus Terminal's 'cooperation' are a savage combo that get most of the enemies into Verge's neural net within the first turn.

10. munted123

munted123 Member

I'm already up to 20 hours now...so mustn't be too bad! I suppose a bit of that might be AFKing though. Anyway I just got the best armour in the game and was thinking that it's getting a bit easy, did a mission flawless, 5x stuns for the guaranteed 20 intel and was getting worried it'd be boring if it was this easy. Then very next mission a new enemy came out, well a familiar face from the Xcom universe but first time I'd encountered them in Chimera Squad, went from Flawless to everyone injured and one man left behind bleeding to death!

Actually I like that the most in this game, yes if you get gravely wounded you might get a scar but it's only 2x turns to get rid of it. In Xcom 2 the whole everyone being tired and wounds taking forever to heal was really tedious, I ended up using a WOTC mod to remove tiredness because it was taking all the fun out of the game. It means you feel less like you have to save scum, I think I've pretty much only reloaded when I misclicked on something or didn't understand a new mechanic, but I get hit a lot, healing is much easier in Chimera Squad and it doesn't matter too much as long as you're still alive! :leet:

James086 likes this.
  11. AERO

AERO Member

i think its quite hard in my opinion. also finding the game keeps crashing out with no explanation. obviously will keep it given i paid money for it. one day ill continue from the 4 hours i put in it so far.

12. miicah

miicah Member

I play on normal with healing between encounters and am finding it easy now.

I just unlocked reaper on the melee chick and cleared about 5 dudes in one go. Just amazing

13. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

finished it in about 20 hours. gets boring since there isn't much variation of tactics on the maps.

14. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

I played on normal. Once I got the heal armour and got my guys outfitted with free reloads and poison ammo it was a cakewalk. The only time I needed to use an android was the final part of the first boss mission. After that, only once did a squad member get down to 1 health, with one other getting knocked down but having the special skill that keeps them alive anyway.

Used the tank/smashy smash big alien, the mind controller alien who also had the insanely good almost auto-kill "shoot until it's dead", the preppy healer chick and the guy who can spam 6 grenades in a turn after getting the angry shotgun lady to max rank to keep doing the reduce city unrest over and over. I even manage to outfit the whole squad with legendary weapons.

It's a fun little game though.