XFX 7950GT or 8600GT SLI ?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Nemeseeesss, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Nemeseeesss

Nemeseeesss Member

As the title says. I currently have an xfx 7950GT and am looking at maybe going to DX10 in the form of 8600SLI conifg. is it worth it or is it a downgrade? Obviously I want to eventually run vista and dx10 but at the moment am still running with xp

2. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

Spend ~$100 more over the 8600gt sli setp and get a 320mb 8800gts, better performance, 1 card no sli incomaptibility, etc.

3. Blah72

Blah72 Member

Dont bother, wait till next gen DX10 cards come round. I read a few reviews and apparently current gen DX10 cards dont handle DX10 so well performance wise. Either way there is no rush to go DX10 and the next iteration of graphics cards will be out around the end of the year.

4. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

I agree with both of the above.

The 7950GT is still a very decent card. It's a lot faster than what Nvidia and ATI are currently calling their "mid-range DX10" cards. Therefore it's still going to be fine for new games at reasonable detail levels (no game developer is going to release a game which only works with 8800/2900 series cards). You wouldn't even get the advantage of DX10 since you're still using Windows XP.

When you do upgrade, try to just get a single fast card. SLI is not generally worthwhile unless you have more money than you know what to do with (in which case you probably do consider spending $1000 extra for a small performance gain to be worthwhile). If you do want to upgrade now, get an 8800GTS 320MB. If you can wait, it's probably worthwhile.

5. onthepulse

onthepulse Member

My 2c worth... Forget DX10 ATM. Performance on the ultra-high-end cards is pitiful, you need to run Vista, and the visual difference in a great majority of games is just not worth it.

Just enjoy the 7950GT. 8800GTS 320GB is a nice card, but probably no real need to upgrade ATM

6. Avalanch3

Avalanch3 Member

i have the leadtek 7950gt....i was thinking of upgrading as well but its not really worth it i thort as my card still plays all the newer games fine and there are not really any dx10 games out on the market at the moment...dx10 is still in the making so why upgrade to sumthing that isnt really ready ??

7. skootyloops

skootyloops Member

Upgrade when your games are slow enough that you feel the need to get a faster card. Until then stay with your current card.

8. OP
    OP
    Nemeseeesss

Nemeseeesss Member

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I will wait and see what the next version of dx10 cards are. I also need to spend my money on getting my bike fixed and new riding gear.....stupid dog. so I guess the graphics card can wait a little while longer. who knows what santa might bring!